CurlTalk

How do you apply products?

Hello Ladies,
I was wondering how you apply products because, the only method i know which is from quidad is the rake & shake.I tried it for a while until i started noticing breakage especially in the front of my hair. I have short hair from a BC about 3 months ago so caring for my hair the curly girl way is a new adventure.

And I apologize if this has been asked a million times before.lol
strickly CG.
BCed Jan 27,07
I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
My hair survives on;
Suave naturals
Herbal essences set me up gel
Amla powder
Other lovies; :laughing8:
[Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

event.png
hairpic.png
Taken Feb 21,09
Blogger
Youtuber

Comments

  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    I smooth through sections and scrunch.
    3b-3c CG
  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    I also smooth it in and scrunch a little. Raking the products in breaks up my curls and leaves it kind of stringy looking.
    one day at a time..
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Juicy Tube wrote:
    I smooth through sections and scrunch.

    Hey thanks for responding.

    Question, How do you part your hair into sections do you use free hand or a rattail on a wide tooth comb?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Rina414 wrote:
    I also smooth it in and scrunch a little. Raking the products in breaks up my curls and leaves it kind of stringy looking.

    hey,

    I noticed you said you smooth it in.
    would that be mostly the outside...I mean how do you get the products evenly distributed through your hair?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Hey thanks for responding.

    Question, How do you part your hair into sections do you use free hand or a rattail on a wide tooth comb?
    I just use my fingers, but I use a wide tooth comb to detangle in the shower before.
    3b-3c CG
  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    Yeah i forgot to mention i do have that problem with getting it all in evenly sometimes lol.

    I just tilt my head to the side and smooth it in , in big sections.
    one day at a time..
  • Gemini13Gemini13 Posts: 5,000Registered Users
    I do the same as Juicy Tube and Rina. I apply it in three sections, the top of my head and two pigtails, so I don't need a comb for that. I apply products while my hair is still soaking wet, that seems to help with even distribution.
    Brooklyn, NY

    Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

    fotki pw= crrrls
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Rina414 wrote:
    Yeah i forgot to mention i do have that problem with getting it all in evenly sometimes lol.

    I just tilt my head to the side and smooth it in , in big sections.

    Interesting. Thank you
    so when you smooth in the products do you take a "fresh" helping each time?..of course that would depend on if you're using a dime size or more
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Juicy Tube wrote:
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Hey thanks for responding.

    Question, How do you part your hair into sections do you use free hand or a rattail on a wide tooth comb?
    I just use my fingers, but I use a wide tooth comb to de-tangle in the shower before.

    Do you experience more breakage in the shower or when you smooth the products?
    Because, i got more breakage when i was raking, unfortunately.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Rina414 wrote:
    Yeah i forgot to mention i do have that problem with getting it all in evenly sometimes lol.

    I just tilt my head to the side and smooth it in , in big sections.

    Interesting. Thank you
    so when you smooth in the products do you take a "fresh" helping each time?..of course that would depend on if you're using a dime size or more

    Yeah i use alot because my hair is long and thick. You should try it , you never know till you try a new method :P
    one day at a time..
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Rina414 wrote:
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Rina414 wrote:
    Yeah i forgot to mention i do have that problem with getting it all in evenly sometimes lol.

    I just tilt my head to the side and smooth it in , in big sections.

    Interesting. Thank you
    so when you smooth in the products do you take a "fresh" helping each time?..of course that would depend on if you're using a dime size or more

    Yeah i use alot because my hair is long and thick. You should try it , you never know till you try a new method :P

    Yup you're right.
    But my hair is short so i guess id have to wait to use morethan a dime size.
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    ohh no i meant try smoothing it in instead of racking it in lol.
    one day at a time..
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Rina414 wrote:
    ohh no i meant try smoothing it in instead of racking it in lol.

    Yea im definitely going to try that instead.
    Because raking is causing major breakage.

    thank you!! :)
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Do you experience more breakage in the shower or when you smooth the products?
    Because, i got more breakage when i was raking, unfortunately.
    Definitley in the shower! I haven't BCed yet (will soon!), but I loose a lot of hair in the shower. :oops: There is almost no damage when I apply my products. =]
    3b-3c CG
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    Juicy Tube wrote:
    stellaBaby wrote:
    Do you experience more breakage in the shower or when you smooth the products?
    Because, i got more breakage when i was raking, unfortunately.
    Definitley in the shower! I haven't BCed yet (will soon!), but I loose a lot of hair in the shower. :oops: There is almost no damage when I apply my products. =]



    no damage when applying products sounds like a plus to me.
    Do you wash/co-wash/co-rinse your hair everyday?
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • JuicyTubeJuicyTube Posts: 2,369Registered Users
    stellaBaby wrote:
    no damage when applying products sounds like a plus to me.
    Do you wash/co-wash/co-rinse your hair everyday?
    Yes, I scalp-wash with a sulfate-free shampoo once a week and condition. I also do the brown sugar scrub exfoliation treatment (mentioned in the Curly Girl book) once a week, but on a different day. On the other days, I do what feels right. If my hair needs serious detangling, I will use some conditioner and detangle. Other days I end up finger combing with water only. I rinse after exercising too so my hair usually gets wet twice a day.
    3b-3c CG
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    UPDATE!!.

    I tried "smoothing" in the products(leave-in & gel) instead of raking and I'm LOVING this.
    I usu wash my hair every day with conditioner just to get out that extra "gook" and just so i can rake in the products..LOL thank goodness i know better now. thanks guys :)

    so far im on 3rd day hair and i havent had much breakage, in fact, frizz is under control too-surprisingly. I've had ZERO breakage
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • stellaBabystellaBaby Posts: 237Registered Users
    strickly CG.
    BCed Jan 27,07
    I think my hair type is :pain10: 3c? 3b? eh 4a? hmm idk
    My hair survives on;
    Suave naturals
    Herbal essences set me up gel
    Amla powder
    Other lovies; :laughing8:
    [Vitamins, olive oil, honey, silk peptide powder,vitamin e oil]

    event.png
    hairpic.png
    Taken Feb 21,09
    Blogger
    Youtuber
  • ParasolParasol Posts: 291Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Hi,

    I always apply products to my wet hair after I rinsed my hair. Anything else makes my hairfrizzy.
    Combing my wet hair gives me twice as much volume.


    TC
    Para

  • Rina414Rina414 Posts: 294Registered Users
    stellaBaby wrote:

    cool thanks for sharing that, i should give that a try since i usually end up missing some spots when applying my gel.

    And glad the "smoothing" in worked for ya :P
    one day at a time..