How soon can I work out again after being sick?

lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
So I've been fighting a mean case of bronchitis for a week now, and started antibiotics on tuesday. I'm dying to get back to the gym because it kills me that it's been over a week now since my last visit, but I'm still coughing a lot and it's still very obvious in my voice that I'm congested in my chest. But how soon can I return to the gym? I'd go tomorrow if I thought it would be ok. Could I at least do weight machines even if I don't do any cardio? Or do I need to completely wait it out until I'm 100% better? I know I wouldn't be able to do my usual hour running or on the eliptical, which is why I thought maybe weight machines might be alright, but don't want to set myself back either.

Any advice?
3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif

Comments

• SuburbanbushbabeSuburbanbushbabe Posts: 15,402Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    If I was not getting enough sleep or are working while sick, I would refrain from working out completely until I was at 100%. Otherwise I would do little or no cardio and stick with weights/resistance/strength until lung capacity is back. Also do only 1/2 hour to start, then work up as I felt better.
    My blog - http://suburbanbushbabe.wordpress.com/
    My FOTKI - http://whatsnew.fotki.com/suburbanbushbabe/
    comic-p.jpg

Playing with my hair is a hobby. Fluffy, fine natural 4a. Goal= Healthy, beautiful hair that retains its length.
    Hear that crash? It's me falling off the CG wagon.
  • lushaholiclushaholic Posts: 2,180Registered Users
    Thanks for the reply SBB! I'm dying to get back to the gym (paranoid of getting out of shape and gaining it all back), but I did read how you should lay off if your symptoms are below the neck. I know I'd end up in fits of coughing if I tried to run right now though. I'm supposed to do a 5k tomorrow, definitely could run it, and I actually don't think I should be walking it either. I feel much better, but still am feeling about 50-75% normal.
    3a/2c f/mii. pics added 2/3/07
    spingbannerwk6.jpghycoffeeiconuy8.gif

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file