CurlTalk

Cleaning/maid service rates? - UPDATE

BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
So my new apartment still smells like smoke after spraying/air fresheners. I've come to the conclusion that I actually have to wash the walls, and I want it done before I move my stuff in. I have a herniated disc that limits my mobility at the moment and the length of time I can do things, so I thought I'd hire a service to do it for me, especially (and maybe most importantly) because I am extremely busy right now. I have someone coming to give me an estimate tomorrow. They explained their procedure and the chemicals they use--there's a process they use to clean a smoker's apartment. They charge $24/hour/person. Is this outrageous? It's a company, not a person just doing this on the side.
Under construction.

Comments

• PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    My lady is $50 for two visits a month. That's $50 per month, not per visit. But I know she's cheap.

Also, is your landlord paying for the de-stinking?
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • SigiSigi Posts: 2,379Registered Users
    Maybe it's just me, but I think it's reasonable.
  • BefrizzledBefrizzled Posts: 3,854Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    My lady is $50 for two visits a month. That's $50 per month, not per visit. But I know she's cheap.

Also, is your landlord paying for the de-stinking?

No, I took the apartment as is, and I understood that. It was that great a deal that I was willing to pay for this. Is your lady running her own business/hiring herself out, so to speak? Or is she with an angency?

Sigi- thanks. :)
    Under construction.
  • cymprenicympreni Posts: 9,609Registered Users
    might be, I temped at a cleaning agency once. I think they charged 100 bucks for a "deep clean" Which was traditionally done once a month. It was usually 2 of us, and for the houses keeped relatively clean took a few hours. But it included moving furniture to vacuum behind, and cleaning almost everything, but not washing walls unless their was a spot or something. But most of the house was keep pretty clean and didn't really require major scrubbing or anything (cept for 1 really nasty place but's that's besides the point)
  • * Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users
    $20 to $25 per hour per person is what they cost here.
    If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Posts: 10,771Registered Users Curl Dabbler
    Befrizzled wrote:
    They charge $24/hour/person.

I would want to know how many people they were sending, and how long they thought it would take.

Big difference between 1 person for 2 hours and 6 people for 4 hours, kwim?
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
    Phew, ok. :D They sounded really nice and like they could actually de-smoke my apartment. I'm hoping they won't estimate it at more than 4 hours/1 person or 2 hrs/2 people... $100 seems about my limit for this. But I guess if the rate is normal, if I have to pay for more time, I know I'm not getting cheated. It'll save me SO much time and energy.

I'm so excited for this place!
    Under construction.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Posts: 31,258Registered Users
    The rate is reasonable...washing walls is a LOT of work. However, I don't think washing the walls will get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke. It's likely permeated into the paint and if you truly want to get rid of the smell, you'll need to re-paint, using a sealer/primer first...and replace carpeting if there is any. That's just my experience.
  • * Willow ** Willow * Posts: 496Registered Users
    The rate is reasonable...washing walls is a LOT of work. However, I don't think washing the walls will get rid of the smell of cigarette smoke. It's likely permeated into the paint and if you truly want to get rid of the smell, you'll need to re-paint, using a sealer/primer first...and replace carpeting if there is any. That's just my experience.

Have them wash the walls using TSP. It works wonders!
    If you focus on the negative not only is that what you'll see, that's what you'll be.
    They use two kinds of chemicals, on being a hospital grade disinfectant/deodorizer. She said this process usually gets rid of the smell. My bedroom is smaller and has an air freshener in it now, and it doesn't smell like smoke anymore at all. It's the open kitchen and living room that still do, so if the bedroom doesn't, I have faith the living room can be worked on.
    Under construction.
    Well, turns out my apartment is free of nicotine stains. The smell is there, but the guy has no idea where it's coming from. The carpet smells fine, the walls are clean and free of any nicotine/smoke stains... His only thought is that the person below me smokes and it's coming up through the floor. On one hand, this is awesome because I don't have to spend money to clean the place, but it SUCKS because now I'm stuck with a smoke smell. I'll just have to place air fresheners everywhere and burn incense/candles when I'm home, along with leaving the windows open. Blech.
    Under construction.
  • MunchyMunchy Posts: 5,206Registered Users
    Befrizzled wrote:
    Well, turns out my apartment is free of nicotine stains. The smell is there, but the guy has no idea where it's coming from. The carpet smells fine, the walls are clean and free of any nicotine/smoke stains... His only thought is that the person below me smokes and it's coming up through the floor. On one hand, this is awesome because I don't have to spend money to clean the place, but it SUCKS because now I'm stuck with a smoke smell. I'll just have to place air fresheners everywhere and burn incense/candles when I'm home, along with leaving the windows open. Blech.

I like Febreeze Air Effects in Rain. It helped with my old house since they were heavy smokers.
    Munchy wrote:
    Befrizzled wrote:

I like Febreeze Air Effects in Rain. It helped with my old house since they were heavy smokers.

Thanks. :D
    Under construction.
  • badgercurlsbadgercurls Posts: 3,077Registered Users
    I have one of those small Febreeze plug-in air filter things that I bought at Target for about $15. It has some sort of charcoal filter and seems to do an okay job with my next door neighbor's smoke (which comes under my door). You might need more than one if it's a large area, though. But it'd be cheaper than the cleaning agency!
    I have one of those small Febreeze plug-in air filter things that I bought at Target for about $15. It has some sort of charcoal filter and seems to do an okay job with my next door neighbor's smoke (which comes under my door). You might need more than one if it's a large area, though. But it'd be cheaper than the cleaning agency!

I'd definitely get a few. The guy was so nice and said he'd be a thief to take money from me, because there's nothing he can do. The place is already spotless and nothing he could do would get rid of the smell. So I'm willing to shell out for some air fresheners.
    Under construction.
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    The charcoal filter thingie will make a huge difference. They somehow just eat the stink right out of the air. It's like magic. :D

My cleaning lady, by the way, works for herself - no agency or anything. If I had a big job like what you're talking about though I'd probably go with an agency. My lady is barely even 5 feet tall; I'd feel bad making her take on a job like washing down the walls. :D
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    Badgercurls- do you know the name of the product? I can't seem to find it in an online search.

Anyone else- can you rec a charcoal filter?
    Under construction.
  • JoyForeverJoyForever Posts: 1,628Registered Users
    Befrizzled wrote:
    Badgercurls- do you know the name of the product? I can't seem to find it in an online search.

This?
    Previously Joy4ever.
    Changed because the "number in place of a word" thing was bugging my no-longer-14-year-old self.
    Joy4ever wrote:
    Befrizzled wrote:

This?

That seems right. I was looking on the Febreze site, and it's not listed. It looks like it's made by Hamilton Beach, so maybe that's why.
    Under construction.
    I went to a bunch of different places and could not find the febreze one. Since I was banking on buying 3-4 of those anyway, I ended up with a big one for.. whoa, nearly $100 with tax. That's kind of a let down. But if it doesn't work, I have 90 days to take it back, even if it's opened. When I walked in today, I smelled the smoke, but it cleared in a few seconds to smell the vanilla air fresheners I have around. Either it comes and goes or I'm nearly used to it.
    Under construction.
    The one joy4ever posted is the one I have. I paid about $15 for it at Target. It plugs into an outlet and makes a little noise (like a quiet fan), and it seems to work well. I think they make filters for it that are specifically made for filtering tobacco smoke, too.

Definitely focus on something that will filter out rather than just cover up the smoke. I found this out the hard way, as I kept buying nice air fresheners only to have my apartment smell like a lavendar field on fire.
    Oops, I missed your last post. I hope the $100 one helps, but it sounds like the smoke smell isn't too bad so if it doesn't you may be able to deal with it.

Another thought is that if you can figure out where it's coming from, you may be able to block the smoke somehow and/or "intercept" it with the air filter positioned very close to where it's coming in. I've been dealing with the smoke in my apartment - which comes under the front door - by both placing a rug against the crack at the bottom of the door and putting the Febreeze filter thing as close to the door as possible.
    Oops, I missed your last post. I hope the $100 one helps, but it sounds like the smoke smell isn't too bad so if it doesn't you may be able to deal with it.

Another thought is that if you can figure out where it's coming from, you may be able to block the smoke somehow and/or "intercept" it with the air filter positioned very close to where it's coming in. I've been dealing with the smoke in my apartment - which comes under the front door - by both placing a rug against the crack at the bottom of the door and putting the Febreeze filter thing as close to the door as possible.

I actually met a guy who just moved out of the building--he was at the customer service counter doing checkouts. We had seen each other in the parking lot yesterday. Small world! Anyway, he said it's probably coming through the vents/heating system, so there are many places it could come from. That's why the big one is probably best. I can set it in a central location. I'm spending so much money on this damn place. I finally made the bed, complete with comforter and duvet cover. I put the lamps in my room. It's starting to look amazing! I managed to get all bathroom supplies for $100, and I'll take care of that maybe tomorrow.
    Under construction.
    I'm glad you found a solution that will hopefully work.

It's hard not to spend a lot of money on a new apartment - it's so fun! I'm moving to a new apartment (with my bf) in July and every day one of us comes up with something else we need or want. We're going to be saving about $300/month from what we're paying right now and are going to have about twice as much space, so we both feel kind of justified thinking about buying new things. I picked out a comforter I like a lot at Target, but I think I'm going to wait until either a) it goes on sale or b) we move, because it'd just sit unused for two months if I bought it now.

I think you'll love love love living alone. :)