Rinsing your scalp?

carieshmariecarieshmarie Registered Users Posts: 2
Hi everyone -

I am on week two of my CG routine and trying to go no-poo. My question is - am I allowed to massage and rinse my scalp with just water everyday (so no poo, no CO)? I find that if I don't massage and rinse my scalp almost everyday, I get really itchy and flaky.

Also, I am allowed to use a wide-tooth comb to distribute conditioner through my hair? I have always done this and like it b/c it makes most of my hair shedding happen in the shower, and not constantly throughout the day. I admit that I don't need to comb it to de-tangle it or anything (I have 2C curls) - should I just stick to finger-combing? Or absolutely no combing?

Thanks!

Comments

• Gemini13Gemini13 Registered Users Posts: 5,000
    What you described is called water washing, and a lot of people here do it in between their cowashes/shampoos. A lot of people also use a wide-tooth comb, so that's fine too.
    Brooklyn, NY

Hair: 3A/B, Underlayer of 2B
    HG products:
    Winter- Giovanni Tea Tree (co-wash) & 50/50 (condish); Curl Junkie Curl Assurance Leave-In; Curls Milkshake & Quenched Curls; Re:coil; BRHG
    Summer: DevaCurl No Poo & OneC; CK; Re:coil; BRHG; Honey!!!

fotki pw= crrrls
  • echokittenechokitten Registered Users Posts: 1,751
    I did/do water washing in the summer even before I went CG. It sometimes works better for me than co washing, but it is really subjective. I do it when I don't use any products or just use AVG for a couple of days. It sort of balances things out. I will also water wash and then finish off with a ACV rinse. Then I use aloe vera gel for a few days to keep it under control and it is like a break from product torture for a few days. Then I "treat" my hair to a DT to finish off the "product vacation" . Doesn't always work but when it does it is awesome. I think it really depends on the weather for me.
    Cincinnati Ohio>>>Coarse protein sensitive 3a, Jessicurl WDT as a leave in, Biotera gel, White Boots, PW= coffeecurls

"Man tries to exaggerate what nature has given him," Charles Darwin (1809-1882).

"Nothing makes a woman more beautiful than the belief that she is beautiful." -Sophia Loren
  • ParasolParasol Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 291
    I think it depends on how manageable yor hair is. If I'd only rinse my hair with water and try to detangle it, I wouldn't be able to run my fingers through it. I always need some conditioner. If it works for you ,that's just fine

Take care

• RedheadCurly2007RedheadCurly2007 Registered Users Posts: 230
    Echo- My hair definately is affected by the weather.
    Parasol- I am sort of the same way, when I try a plain coldwater wash..my hair gets tangly I usually need a little condish on canopy, or ends at least. If my hair is over conditioned I can do some coldwater rinsing.
    Red
    3B, CG,Corkscrew
    Xtramoist shampoo, Fastfood leave on, Recoil, varnish Gel-Herbal Essances, Totally Twisted
    Irish-American Curly
    Never try to be something you are not, and never be afraid to be who you are.
    RedheadCurly
  • carieshmariecarieshmarie Registered Users Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advice, everyone. I have been water-washing everyday, and either CO-washing or doing a clarifying treatment every week or so. I usually condition everyday, though some days when I wash my hair multiple times, I don't condition every time. I've been CG for about a month now, and my hair has had ups and downs - I hope to have consistently great results soon!

Thanks again!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file