Has anyone done Pilates on machines?

ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
I am taking an introductory Pilates lesson on Thursday. I am doing it because I heard a couple of DJs on the radio talk about how much it has changed the one guys body and the other guy said it has changed his wife's body. If I decide to continue after the intro lesson I have to take 10 private lessons before I can join a small class. This is on machines and the mat. So I was just curious to see if anyone has had lessons on the machines and what they think.

Comments

• journotravelerjournotraveler Posts: 2,816Registered Users
    i did machine work, called the universal reformer, years ago when i was a dancer. it transformed my body. i much prefer the machines to the matwork. right now, i don't want to pay the big bucks to do the machines, though.
    3B corkscrews with scatterings of 3A & 3C.
  • ShrekLoverShrekLover Posts: 2,551Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I have had two classes. I keep hearing it transforms your body. I sure hope so. I have gotten flabby in the middle as I've gotten older.

How long did you do it before you saw results? It's awfully expensive so I don't know how long I can afford to do. I'm signed up for 10 lessons right now, if I see some results at the end of those I will probably take more.
  • Bridget in AZBridget in AZ Posts: 49Registered Users
    Kind of late but I've done maching work and loved it! My friend was training to be an instructor so she needed someone to train and I was it. The machines are wonderful but after she was done training I couldn't afford to join the studio, (lots of $$$) so now I'm not sure what I'll do...
    Blessings, Bridget
    I've had l7 lessons now and I really seem to be less flabby in the middle and my waist is measuring smaller, but I keep thinking it's my imagination because it seems too soon. I'm going to sign up for another round of private lessons and then do a small group class. I doubt I can afford this forever and I know once I quit I will end up back where I started.
    the only time i've ever had a six-pack was when i was doing pilates. even dancing 8 hours plus a day, i had a bit of a pooch. pilates eradicated it.... i get very tempted to start up again, because that pooch is now much bigger. :evil: . but the cost stops me each and every time. so for me, it's yoga...
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    the only time i've ever had a six-pack was when i was doing pilates. even dancing 8 hours plus a day, i had a bit of a pooch. pilates eradicated it.... i get very tempted to start up again, because that pooch is now much bigger. :evil: . but the cost stops me each and every time. so for me, it's yoga...

journotraveler are you able to replicate the moves you do on the mat or did you only reap the benefits on the machine?
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    if i remember correctly, some of the matwork exercises mimics the work you do on the universal reformer. the mat work is good for core work.

the machines are good for core work and overall toning, strengthening and lengthing of your muscles. it also helps a lot with flexibility, because as you advance in the practice, you can do splits on the machine.

but... it's been a while since i've done pilates, so this is just what i remember about it.
  • luvmylocsluvmylocs Posts: 7,578Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    if i remember correctly, some of the matwork exercises mimics the work you do on the universal reformer. the mat work is good for core work.

the machines are good for core work and overall toning, strengthening and lengthing of your muscles. it also helps a lot with flexibility, because as you advance in the practice, you can do splits on the machine.

but... it's been a while since i've done pilates, so this is just what i remember about it.

i teach mat pilates but i've never been on machines...i probably need to go ahead and inverst in classes, it'll probably make me a better instructor
    a dreamy pisces :fish:
    please recycle, it matters...
    i change lives...through fitness
    i'm more relaxed being natural
    luvmylocs wrote:
    i teach mat pilates but i've never been on machines...i probably need to go ahead and inverst in classes, it'll probably make me a better instructor

the expense is no joke, but the machines are fabulous! i think it'll give you a real understanding of it. when i was doing it regularly in a small studio in nyc, the teacher was old school. she'd have you doing matwork if you were injured or if the other machines were full. matwork then was more a supplement to the machines, not a replacement.

but this was 20 years ago, when i was a young dancer. hardly anyone but dancers was doing pilates back then. to give you an idea of how long ago it was, the dancer's rate was 13 bucks a session.... regular folks were $20. :lol:
    I just wanted to give a big thumbs up to the Pilates machine workout. I realize it is very expensive. I would never have started it had I not come into some unexpected money, but if you can afford it it is AWESOME. I have always been mostly thin, but as I've gotten older I've gotten flabby in my midsection. Pilates instruction has whittled that flab considerably. Of course aerobics and weights will do the same thing, it's just a lot more work and time. Although there is one woman I see there every week who has been doing this for 10 years and she is flabby in the middle, so I don't know how to explain that. She isn't heavy, just has the middle aged spread in the middle.

I don't know how I am going to keep affording it, but I sure am going to try.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file