Do you keep useless stuff for sentimental reasons?

bushyheadbushyhead Registered Users Posts: 1,676
I do. I was just cleaning out our guest room closet and came across my box o' wedding stuff. We're having guests next week, so the box had to come out and be moved up into the attic. I transferred everything into plastic storage bins, thinking I would throw a bunch of stuff away, but I just couldn't bear to part with most of it.

And I'm not talking about my gown or our toasting glasses or anything like that (of course, I kept those too!), but stuff like the pen I used to address our invitations, little scraps of ribbon I had cut up for our favors, our guest list . . . literally useless stuff. I just couldn't bring myself to throw it away. Every little thing I came across brought back a wonderful memory and I felt like I would be throwing the memories away, even though I know that's ridiculous.

I've been married for almost two years, so I'm hoping that with time, the useless stuff will come to be less and less important to me and I'll be able to finally get rid of it some day, much to my husband's delight.

Anyone else like this with sentimental stuff?
tt2b5cc.aspx

"Yesterday's history, tomorrow's a mystery, today is a gift . . . that's why it's called the present." - Unknown

Comments

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Yes. Is there a 12-step program for people like us?
  • godgivenpermgodgivenperm Registered Users Posts: 678
    Yes.

I have some dresses that don't fit me anymore and are out of style. But I can remember wearing them and loving how I looked in them and I just can't bear to toss them.

I have my first printer - an NEC dot-matrix color printer - boxed up in its' original box and sitting in the garage. I'm not even sure you can get supplies for it anymore. But it was the top-of-the-line in it's time and printed beautifully.

Those are probably the tip of my iceberg. <sigh>
    3B/3C
    No more PJ tendencies. Tigi Curls Rock Curl Amplifier is the best thing to make my curls rock all day! Next best are KCCC and Re:Coil +HE TT Gel.
  • CurlyCanadianCurlyCanadian Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 10,904 Curl Connoisseur
    I have some dresses that don't fit me anymore and are out of style. But I can remember wearing them and loving how I looked in them and I just can't bear to toss them.

I still have my grade 8 graduation dress! It's this beautiful emerald taffeta that my grandmother made. I remember her taking me out of school and going down town for lunch and shopping for patters and material. The countless fittings, and her finishing up a seam in the car on the way to the church while I was wearing the dress :roll: :lol:

It's a horrible style, it'll never fit me and no one would ever want it, but I just can't throw it away. Maybe I'll have a little girl one day that can use it for dress up :lol:
    I believe in manicures. I believe in overdressing. I believe in primping at leisure and wearing lipstick. I believe in pink. I believe that laughing is the best calorie burner. I believe in kissing, kissing a lot. I believe in being strong when everything seems to be going wrong. I believe that happy girls are the prettiest girls. I believe that tomorrow is another day and I believe in miracles.
    Audrey Hepburn
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    Yes. I am ridiculous.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • munchkinmunchkin Registered Users Posts: 2,909 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes.

I just lost weight and tried on a dress I wore to my niece's wedding 5 years ago. My husband said "maybe you should try on that red dress that was your favorite to see if it fits." I held on to it for years. Finally decided I would never be that tiny again and gave it to Goodwill couple years ago. I am not stressing over it because even if it would fit right now I know it would be way too short for someone my age.

But I did have a smile on my face thinking "just maybe it might have fit me now"!!!
    3b/c
  • merynmeryn Registered Users Posts: 1,807 Curl Novice
    Not at all.

My lesson was a Jergen's bottle. It was my grandmother's, I had the empty thing for YEARS. I finally had a conversation with myself that went "Gramma doesn't live in the Jergen's bottle, she lives in your heart."

My mother died two months ago. I thought that I would regret terribly, some of the gifts she had given me, and I feel callous going through her house and donating most items. But I didn't, and don't. The sentimentality, with me, is that these items are thoughtfully given to people that will truly enjoy them and need them. Clothes, jewelry, my old toys went to the women's shelter. Old scraps of material, buttons, went to a friend who quilts. Baskets, planters, and perennials were dug up and given to a friend who is a master gardener. Old quilts, pillow cases, etc. went to the animal shelter. A redwood table was shipped to a friend in California who had always admired it, and loved my mother deeply.

I apologize for this high horse post, I know it sounds that way, but I feel better spreading, seeding, planting her memory, than hoarding it to myself. She gave me ME, and that's all I need.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    meryn wrote:
    Not at all.

My lesson was a Jergen's bottle. It was my grandmother's, I had the empty thing for YEARS. I finally had a conversation with myself that went "Gramma doesn't live in the Jergen's bottle, she lives in your heart."

My mother died two months ago. I thought that I would regret terribly, some of the gifts she had given me, and I feel callous going through her house and donating most items. But I didn't, and don't. The sentimentality, with me, is that these items are thoughtfully given to people that will truly enjoy them and need them. Clothes, jewelry, my old toys went to the women's shelter. Old scraps of material, buttons, went to a friend who quilts. Baskets, planters, and perennials were dug up and given to a friend who is a master gardener. Old quilts, pillow cases, etc. went to the animal shelter. A redwood table was shipped to a friend in California who had always admired it, and loved my mother deeply.

I apologize for this high horse post, I know it sounds that way, but I feel better spreading, seeding, planting her memory, than hoarding it to myself. She gave me ME, and that's all I need.
    Not at all...what a great post.
    I had never thought of things that way.
    And I'm sorry about your mom, but she will definitely live on in such a wonderful way...so powerful.

I'm too sentimental...
  • battinlashbattinlash Registered Users Posts: 1,850
    I'm not like this. I keep a few sentimental things, but I prefer to have a bare minimum of possessions. My life feels purer and simpler with less "stuff". I have one shoebox of photos from childhood, my wedding dress and flowers, my military uniforms, and a couple other items- that's it.
  • BrilligBrillig Registered Users Posts: 8
    I'm one of those horrible people that hoardes every tiny memento of my life to the point where the stuff I need for day to day living gets shoved aside to make room for the sentimental things.

For example, the first time my mother let me wear make up out, she dropped my friends and me at the mall and we got sodas. I kept the straw from my soda that day because seeing the pink lipstick ring around it made me feel so grown up. It finally got thrown away over 10 years later.
    Thin 3C-ish curls
    If you want to see 'em, password is jabberwocky.

weight.png
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306
    YES.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • spring1onuspring1onu Registered Users Posts: 16,528 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to keep things more, but moving helps one let go of things (at least for me). That and all those shows on now like Clean Sweep...when the guy starts talking about how it's just an item and holding onto it doesn't change the memories you have... etc.

We have one plastic bin that's our "memento" box and we each have a plastic shoe box of all the letters we wrote to each other when we were dating and some small items. :D I figure if it can't go in the memento box then we've got too much. Hubby does have an extra lil' bin for his Star Wars toys though. :wink:
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

spring-smiley.gif?1292867680

Byron,GA> Charleston, SC> Jacksonville, FL> Guilford, CT> Rohnert Park, CA! A southern drawl in sunny Cali! . :D
    The amount of time from slipping on the peel and landing on the pavement is exactly one bananosecond.
    I do have a secret yen for pink in unexpected places. ~ninja dog
    I've decided that I'll never get down to my original weight, and I'm OK with that--After all, 8 pounds 2 oz. is just not realistic.
  • hobbshobbs Registered Users Posts: 327
    Absolutely. With each move, the amount of sentimental useless stuff I have gets smaller, but it's still pretty impressive.
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    yes,but as I get older,I realize that a lot of it is just "stuff" and get rid of it.
    I DO have some things that will never go,though 8)
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • firelilyfirelily Registered Users Posts: 1,298
    Yep, I have way too much stuff. Some of it lives at my parent's house, so I don't worry about that too much. They have a room that's basically storage for my sister and I, even though we're adults - only our cat enjoys being in that room, so it's no biggie for them. Some of it lives with me. I've been trying to pare down a lot, and definitely need to now that my fiancee and I are moving in together officially.

I know it's just stuff, and I don't want to be cluttered or burdened with too much junk - but it's so hard to figure out what's worth saving and what needs to go!
    Lots and lots of fine 3b-ish hair.
    DevaCurl currently, but exploring new products.
    Love the hair!
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    firelily wrote:
    Yep, I have way too much stuff. Some of it lives at my parent's house, so I don't worry about that too much. They have a room that's basically storage for my sister and I, even though we're adults - only our cat enjoys being in that room, so it's no biggie for them. Some of it lives with me. I've been trying to pare down a lot, and definitely need to now that my fiancee and I are moving in together officially.

I know it's just stuff, and I don't want to be cluttered or burdened with too much junk - but it's so hard to figure out what's worth saving and what needs to go!
    Took me almost 13 years to finally get all of mine consolidated to 1 location... :lol: :oops: :roll: :lol:
  • JosephineJosephine Registered Users Posts: 14,408 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, but I am trying not too. I actually have boxes that organize my junk. When I was a kid, I had 'junk drawer'.
  • quickcurlquickcurl Registered Users Posts: 1,310
    I am totally a junk-aholic. I recently cleaned out my house and boxed up some stuff that I really wanted to keep, and tossed out the rest. I have a box of stuff from my ex-BF, stuff from my ex-husband, stuff from when I was growing up, etc. That boxed up stuff isn't the problem, since it's all in a closet and out of the way. It's the other stuff that accumulates that needs to get boxed up or tossed....I need to be more diligent with tossing stuff out or deciding to keep it and filing it away somewhere before it starts to collect dust on my coffee table.
    "It's hard to remember a time, when I didn't have you", Richie Sambora
    "Boys are bad and men are stupid", WB's
    "After a while, you just want to be with the one that makes you laugh" Mr. Big
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    yes and it must stop.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:
    Yes. Is there a 12-step program for people like us?

Yup. www.flylady.net I love her philosphy.

I'm bad at keeping stuff around too....especially for projects that I want to do. Projects are my downfall. I keep hoping someday I'll be able to put that scrapbook together. :)
  • CurliLocksCurliLocks Registered Users Posts: 10,573 Curl Connoisseur
    Yes, but it's slowly improving. I've been getting rid of more stuff with each move, and now that we're settled and not planning to move for a long time, if ever, I can part with anything that doesn't fit or work in the house now.

** note to self: repeat this phrase daily until it's all gone! **

meryn - that's a great outlook and great idea. :)
    How is the memorial garden coming along?
    SF Bay Area, CA * "The Angel-Goddess-Guru of Haircoloring" :D
    3b/c/a mix. medium texture, low porosity
    My Motto: Strand Test! some hair pics
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] -- gone, but never forgotten.
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    absolutely not. i hate clutter.

i don't keep things in my living space that have no use and would not benefit anyone. i think clutter contributes to stress because it's something that you know you'll have to eventually deal with. and eliminating clutter will involve creating organized clutter so that you can sort out the clutter to get rid of the clutter. s-t-r-e-s-s!

so i don't bring things into the house that have no practical use. and i won't keep certain things after i've used them up because "i may need this again one day." this mentality is why so many people have attics, basements, and hallway closets filled to the brim with "stuff" that has long since been forgotten.

i don't want to become that way. we have two friends who keep receipts from two or three years ago because "i may need to prove that i bought this . . ." :roll: so imagine a file cabinet designated just for receipts. yep. my friend's father keeps every lottery stub he's ever bought. he has trashbags full of them in their basement. when she tried to throw the bags away, they ended up in a nasty argument about it. she said there are bags of stubs everywhere. he's been playing the lottery and lotto for over 30 years. imagine all the space those bags are taking up.
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file