clogged milk duct

goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
OW.

Yep. OW. I don't know what else to say. I'm taking Ibuprofen and applying moist heat.

I repeat: OW!!!!

Comments

• RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    You have to keep nursing on that side, even if it hurts. Nurse the baby in a position so that his chin is pointing to the sore spot. That will help drain that duct better.
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    Yep, still nursing on that side. I start on that side each time since K is more "vigorous" when he first starts. I'm also doing the 'let down' massage too. OW to that too.....
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    I totally feel your pain. In addition to RCW's suggestions - I also found that warm-hot showers helped.

I hope it gets better soon.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Also, you can get better duct drainage if you lay the baby on the bed and then nurse him by kneeling over him and letting the breast hang. Sounds weird...looks weird...but it really does help.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    I got plugged ducts all the time. A few things helped. My Medela Harmony Hand pump seemed to do a good job of getting them moving. I exclusively pumped but this pump seemed better than my hospital grade for unplugging me. I would do the following pressure massage before pumping. I would guess that it would help you if you did it before nursing.
    * ry a pressure massage on the area of your breast that is swollen and painful because of a plugged duct. This may help to loosen the plug. With pressure massage, you do not actually move your hand over the skin as you would with a normal massage. You simply press more and more firmly with the heel of your hand to move the plug in the duct down closer to the nipple.

To do pressure massage, start at the edge of the lumpy area closest to your chest wall. Apply pressure to that area with the heel of your hand to the point just before it becomes too painful. Hold the pressure at that level until the pain eases off. Then increase the pressure again, (without moving your hand) and hold it until the pain eases. Continue to gradually increase pressure at that same site until you are pressing as hard as you can. Then pick your hand up, move it down toward your nipple about a half inch, and repeat the pressure massage in this area. Continue moving your hand a half inch and repeating the massage until you get all the way down to the nipple.

You may see the dried milk come out from an opening in your nipple. Even if the plug doesn't actually come out, you will at least have dislodged it and moved it toward the nipple so that when baby goes to the breast and sucks, he will remove it with his suction. Always put baby to the breast on the plugged side first, when his sucking will be the strongest.

Lastly, I used this http://www.albuquerquehomebirth.com/TEAmr.html My lactation consultant recommended it. I don't know if it helped but I used it for every plugged duct and think it did.

I hope you get it unplugged soon. Plugs are miserable.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Also, you can get better duct drainage if you lay the baby on the bed and then nurse him by kneeling over him and letting the breast hang. Sounds weird...looks weird...but it really does help.

This is exactly what I did. It totally works.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i know massage is the nicer way to say it, but whenever i felt that, i would poke that spot and push on it while owen nursed. it hurt like mad, and sometimes i think i'd almost bruise myself, but it seemed to help break things up and get it moving.

:lol: funny about the kneeling thing. i'd definately feel like a little cow then...but hey, if it's works? hot damn!
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    i know massage is the nicer way to say it, but whenever i felt that, i would poke that spot and push on it while owen nursed.

this is what i did with both of my babies. i'd apply constant pressure and massage in a circular motion while they nursed that side and it always went away. then i'd take a very warm shower and let the water stream on that spot. such relief!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    Friday evening, I couldn't stand water in shower hitting my breast, so that wasn't an option. I applied really hot wet towels for about 15 minutes and nursed K with me sitting cross-legged and him perched down on my legs and me hunched over so the breast hung down while I put pressure on the spot. It worked!!! I was so relieved. I've never been so happy to have a really soft breast in my life :lol:

What's odd is that now there is a white place on my nipple but it's fading. Thanks for all the tips!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file