Notes from the Under Belly

inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
Is anybody watching this??? I find it really funny. Most of the things they are talking about happend to DH and me.

Nice big boobs...but a no touching rule because they hurt so bad... Keen sense of smell.... ( this was just last night).

Comments

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I love this show I agree that a lot of it actually happened to us. Like the part where she's like "don't take this the wrong way but there's something abut you that is making me sick" I just wonder where they are going to go with the show once the babies are born
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    I like this show! There was a thread about it on non-hair a few weeks back, and many people were turned off because they felt it perpetuated misconceptions about pregnancy/childbirth.

I, however, just think it's really funny!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Picklesgirl, I had the same thought...what happens when the baby is born???

Pixiecurl, I saw that same thread and was surprised. I decided to post here and see if the opinion was different. Every week there is something I notice that happened to DH and I during our first pregnancy.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    PixieCurl wrote:
    I like this show! There was a thread about it on non-hair a few weeks back, and many people were turned off because they felt it perpetuated misconceptions about pregnancy/childbirth.

I, however, just think it's really funny!

I was one of the people who was turned off. However, that was just from one commercial I saw--I haven't seen the actual show. So maybe they just picked a bad example for the commercial.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I was turned off, too.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Also the misconception that I saw this show promote--that breastfeeding makes your breasts saggy and hideous--is one that has real consequences for the health of women and their babies. It's not like it was some harmless myth they were perpetuating. The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the developed world, so our society should do whatever we can to reduce the number of needless infant deaths. We also have a low breastfeeding rate. Breastfeeding reduces infant mortality and morbidity, so I found this show's message to be irresponsible.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    iris427 wrote:
    Also the misconception that I saw this show promote--that breastfeeding makes your breasts saggy and hideous--is one that has real consequences for the health of women and their babies. It's not like it was some harmless myth they were perpetuating. The US has one of the highest infant mortality rates in the developed world, so our society should do whatever we can to reduce the number of needless infant deaths. We also have a low breastfeeding rate. Breastfeeding reduces infant mortality and morbidity, so I found this show's message to be irresponsible.

Exactly! And I found it to really medicalize and pathologize pregnancy and birth.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    iris427 wrote:

I guess I didn't see this promo and I don't believe I've seen this scene in the show yet.
    in that scene they said nothing about breastfeeding it was just that her boobs neve went back to normal after having a baby she never said that she breastfed or anything. I can see where you might think that but it didn't. I think anyone who would choose not to breastfeed because it might make her boobs look bad shouldn't be having kids anyway because apparently she's to worried about herself. It's a funny show don't think so much when you watch it :wink:
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
    in that scene they said nothing about breastfeeding it was just that her boobs neve went back to normal after having a baby she never said that she breastfed or anything. I can see where you might think that but it didn't. I think anyone who would choose not to breastfeed because it might make her boobs look bad shouldn't be having kids anyway because apparently she's to worried about herself. It's a funny show don't think so much when you watch it :wink:

Maybe the commercial I saw was different than the scene they showed but it definitely had something about breastfeeding. It reinforced a common idea that breastfeeding will make your breasts permanently unattractive.

I do think about things that I watch. We're often told "it's just funny, don't think about it too much," but these subtle messages we apparently shouldn't think about too much still affect our cultural views and people's attitudes and practices.

As a hospital doula, I see in real life how these misconceptions affect the health care decisions that mothers and babies make. Maybe you think people like that should not be having babies to begin with, but they are. I've seen a woman almost refuse a c-section because she didn't want a scar. I've seen many women not even consider breastfeeding, often for superficial reasons like what I mentioned--and they are women whose babies are already more likely to die in the first year of life because of racial and socioeconomic factors. But they still have babies and those babies deserve the best start in life. It's pretty unhelpful to just say, "a woman who thinks X shouldn't even be having babies."

Not everyone educates themselves about pregnancy, birth and newborn care, so they are vulnerable to messages like the one I described. And its their babies, the most vulnerable members of society, who may suffer the consequences. Sorry, but I've seen firsthand the effects of poverty and lack of education in childbirth, and for me, this isn't the kind of issue I'm going to not just think about.
  • wild_sasparillawild_sasparilla Registered Users Posts: 4,306

On that promo, she actually said something like "Breastfeeding killed my boobs." The verb may have been different, I'm not sure, but she definitely said "breastfeeding _ed my boobs."

Anyway, I don't think I'm the demographic it's going for. I thought it looked like another stupid gimmick show.
    OMG, LOOK!!

...It's a siggie. :shock:
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    I am not drawn to the show.

Warning, tangent ahead:
    I do agree with iris that there are so many messages out there that discourage breastfeeding or hint that it's "icky." In addition to the saggy boob thing, how many times have we seen the joke where some dude drinks a bottle of milk from the fridge only to later discover that it's breast milk. And then the heaving/disgusted and shocked facial expression starts. Like milk from a cow is somehow less gross/more natural? :lol:

On that promo, she actually said something like "Breastfeeding killed my boobs." The verb may have been different, I'm not sure, but she definitely said "breastfeeding _ed my boobs."

Anyway, I don't think I'm the demographic it's going for. I thought it looked like another stupid gimmick show.

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong if so then I'm sorry but for some reason I just don't remember her saying breastfeeding did that to her boobs.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png

Maybe I'm remembering it wrong if so then I'm sorry but for some reason I just don't remember her saying breastfeeding did that to her boobs.

pickles, I think they might have shown it differently on the commercial than they did on the show.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file