old wive's tale foods for pregnancy/labor/postnatal

SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
Some interesting things I've heard so far.

For inducing labor:
pineapple
eggplant parmigana

For slowing down labor:
glass of red wine

For a lubricated canal/easy birthing
Okra with rice

For bringing in milk post birth:
beer

For "energy" after birth
stout + raw eggs + condensed milk.

Comments

• medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    My friend swears by raspberry tea (over a period of several weeks) for inducing labor.
  • Jenny CJenny C Registered Users Posts: 1,195
    I've always heard that Mexican food - or any spicy food really, will get labor going.
    If you got nothing to bring to the table - don't even bother sitting down.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Jenny C wrote:
    I've always heard that Mexican food - or any spicy food really, will get labor going.

So what if that is what you eat every day? :lol: Does that mean I'm at risk of PTL?
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Amneris wrote:
    Jenny C wrote:

So what if that is what you eat every day? :lol: Does that mean I'm at risk of PTL?
    :lol:
    No, just that your kid may come out lovin' Messican!
    Yes, it's true...lol

• DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    My friend swears by raspberry tea (over a period of several weeks) for inducing labor.

My midwife told me that red rasberry leaf tea is great for toning the uterus or something like that. She said it won't get labor started but it will shorten it once you do get started.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    medussa wrote:

My midwife told me that red rasberry leaf tea is great for toning the uterus or something like that. She said it won't get labor started but it will shorten it once you do get started.

I believe this wholeheartedly. I had a history of very pokey slow labors with my first 3 babies...labors that ranged 24 and 32 hours long (all ending in c-secs when hospital efforts to speed me up failed). With my 4th pregnancy, I drank RRL tea every single day of my pregnancy. In fact, it was all I drank. I made a fresh half gallon pitcher of iced RRL tea every day and that was all I drank. My uterus was in tip-top shape by the end (having had about a million braxton hicks contractions to tone it up). My 4th labor started with a bang and I had a baby in my arms in only 5 hours from start to finish. It was a very powerful and quick labor and birth. I drank the tea for a few weeks afterwards too, and had hardly any bleeding. Fabulous stuff. RRL does not induce labor, but it sure exercises a uterus.
    Okay, no thanks, then. I get a lot of BH as it is. I even complained to my midwife this afternoon. She theorizes insufficient amounts of water because they increase in frquency, at night. I might just start drinking it at 35 weeks, but not before.
    Okay, no thanks, then. I get a lot of BH as it is. I even complained to my midwife this afternoon. She theorizes insufficient amounts of water because they increase in frquency, at night. I might just start drinking it at 35 weeks, but not before.

RRL tea helps the uterus have better BH contractions, not necessarily more. RRL does not induce labor.

There is an actual medical study that was done on RRL tea and pregnancy. It was a small sample, but very interesting:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=10754818
    The purpose of this study was to examine the safety and efficacy of raspberry leaf products consumed by a group of mothers during their pregnancy, by comparison with a group of mothers who did not. A retrospective observational design was used. Subjects were women who birth their babies at Westmead Hospital between January 1998-July 1998. The sample consisted of 108 mothers; 57 (52.8%) consumed raspberry leaf products while 51 (47.2%) were in the control group. The findings suggest that the raspberry leaf herb can be consumed by women during their pregnancy for the purpose for which it is taken, that is, to shorten labour with no identified side effects for the women or their babies. The findings also suggest ingestion of the drug might decrease the likelihood of pre and post-term gestation. An unexpected finding in this study seems to indicate that women who ingest raspberry leaf might be less likely to receive an artificial rupture of their membranes, or require a caesarean section, forceps or vacuum birth than the women in the control group.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Where do you buy RRL tea? Can you get it at a regular grocery store?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    Health food stores sell RRL tea. I've not seen it in regular grocery stores.
    Health food stores sell RRL tea. I've not seen it in regular grocery stores.

Thanks. I don't have a health food store nearby, but our Wegman's has a really good health food section. Maybe they'll have it there.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • puffinpuffin Registered Users Posts: 205
    Going out for some spicy Chinese food got my contractions going, and my daughter was here about 20 hours later.
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    i don't know about eggplant parmigiana, but the night that our son was born, i craved some italian food and got my husband to bring me a chicken parmigiana sandwich, a salad with homemade house dressing, and italian bread from a local italian restaurant. 8 hours later we were sitting up in bed timing contractions. ha!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    I might just start drinking it at 35 weeks, but not before.

I don't think RRL will do much, if anything, at that late date. As with many herbals, it's effects are subtle and take time. I've heard midwives say that you need at least a trimester of taking RRL for it to have any benefit on the uterus.
    I don't have a health food store nearby, but our Wegman's has a really good health food section. Maybe they'll have it there.

I'll be very interested to hear what your husband and obstetrician have to say about your drinking an age-old midwifery remedy like RRL tea.
    I'll be very interested to hear what your husband and obstetrician have to say about your drinking an age-old midwifery remedy like RRL tea.

Why is that?
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Where do you buy RRL tea? Can you get it at a regular grocery store?

I was planning on drinking Crystal Light's Red Raspberry Iced Tea. Guess that won't work. :lol:
    RedCatWaves wrote:

Why is that?

Because OB's generally don't trust midwifery traditions, and because your husband seems to want you to follow every OB industry rule (e.g. no back sleeping). So I'm just interested, that's all.
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    RedCatWaves wrote:

Why is that?

Because OB's generally don't trust midwifery traditions, and because your husband seems to want you to follow every OB industry rule (e.g. no back sleeping). So I'm just interested, that's all.

Are you a judgmental **** in real life or do you just play one on the boards? You don't know one thing about Pixie's OB and very little about her husband, yet you immediately assume the worst.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.

Actually, my husband just cares/worries about the health and safety of me and our baby. And because we trust and feel very comfortable with our doctor, we feel quite confident following her advice (which, btw, I have no idea what it would be about the tea).

geeky - thanks :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Are you a judgmental &%$@#! in real life or do you just play one on the boards? You don't know one thing about Pixie's OB and very little about her husband, yet you immediately assume the worst.

I've just been around the OB industry for many years...I know how they think. A few OB's are open-minded, but most OB's don't trust midwifery remedies. I can only go by what she has said about her husband...didn't believe she was pregnant til he got the "official" word from the OB, woke her up when she was back sleeping because it's against the OB industry rules, etc. I'm really just curious as to how it will go for her to try to drink RRL tea while seeing a mainstream OB.

ETA: Feel free to ignore my posts, Geeky, if they offend you so much. I haven't namedcalled you that I recall, yet you feel free to let loose on me. That old pot-meet-kettle thing...
  • geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    ETA: Feel free to ignore my posts, Geeky, if they offend you so much. I haven't namedcalled you that I recall, yet you feel free to let loose on me. That old pot-meet-kettle thing...

As you said not too long ago,
    Sorry...but we were probably all thinking it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
    As I said, feel free to ignore me. I really won't be offended.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    medussa wrote:

I've heard this to but the way I heard it, it was more for making labor/delivery easier. Something about relaxing the muscles down there. The lady who told me said that she did that with all of her kids and she had really fast deliveries she said when you head to the hospital grap your bottle of rasberry tea and drink it on the way to the hospital
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I hope this is the end of the arguing.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    Another old fashioned way to bring on labor: sex
    I went into labor with my daughter about 6 hours after sex.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
    Another old fashioned way to bring on labor: sex.

Like I've posted before, I'll take the castor oil. :twisted:
    RedCatWaves wrote:
    I can only go by what she has said about her husband...didn't believe she was pregnant til he got the "official" word from the OB, woke her up when she was back sleeping because it's against the OB industry rules, etc.

They're first time parents... I think it's natural for him to be a little anxious about her, especially when she was in the first trimester.

And I know OBs who do not have issues with raspberry leaf tea and other herbal remedies. Nor does my family doctor.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

And I know OBs who do not have issues with raspberry leaf tea and other herbal remedies. Nor does my family doctor.

You're in Canada. The birth climate is far different in the USA.

You're in Canada. The birth climate is far different in the USA.

I've noticed that - for instance, you guys tend to get so many more ultrasounds. We only get one at 20 weeks and then follow ups only if needed (some provinces also do one at 12-13 weeks.) To me, doing ultrasounds at 6-7 weeks seems a little pointless. We also don't get blood HCG tests unless a problem is suspected. And it seems that after only a few months of trying and sometimes even before trying, people are getting full fertility workups - I think we have to wait at least 1 year. I hadn't realized pregnancy and birth were that much more medicalized over the border. Is that because of lawsuits, or because you guys/your insurance companies pay for it yourselves and so no expense is spared, whereas if the g'vt is paying, they aren't going to waste money on unnecessary testing?

I personally would not want all those tests during my first tri - they really can't do anything for you even if you do have a loss, and the tests seem like they'd just create more stress...

.png

534Pm5.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file