WebjockeyGuide - a Yoga question

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
I see that you're still practicing Yoga and I think that's awesome. My question is, what modifications have you had to make as your pregnancy has progressed?

I'm 19 weeks now with a little belly, and I'm already starting to find my sun salutations uncomfortable as I lower down through chattarunga and come up to upward facing dog. I'm also already avoiding poses where i lie on my belly (like bow) and I don't lie on my back for final relaxation.

Any insight or suggestions you can offer will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    In chatttauranga, you may need to go down to your knees and then lower your upper body. Some of this may have to do with your widening pelvis as well a the belly thing.

What you want to be careful about are inversions extreme backbending and twists. I've found the larger I got the more I needed to accomidate or my widening pelvis by widening my stance for sun salutations and standing positions where I would normally have my toes touching. Also, your center of gravity will change. Just take your time going into balancing postures. Inversions are good for flipping breech babies, but once your baby is in the right position, I wouldn't reccomend them anymore.

Regarding being on your back - you can do this for short periods of time (ie 2-5 breaths) but you don't want to spend a considerable amount of time there. There came a point where my breathing became remarkedly different in back lying postures. That's when I knew how to modify.

Squatting should be modified towards the end of 3rd trimester. As your pelvis becomes more pliable, you want to be careful about over-extending. But in 1st, 2nd and most of 3rd trimester, squats are great. If you plan on birthing naturally, practicing leg strength by squatting is supposed to be really good.

For anxiety, try practicing sitali (breathing through a rolled tounge) or other types of pranayama as given by your instructor.

I'm normally not a fan of using props, but I use them all the time now, and I only do pre-natal classes.

Enjoy!
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Thank you SO MUCH. I'll have to try putting my knees down in chattarunga. And I'll definitely reference this thread as I get further along and need to make more modifications.

I knew you'd be able to help : :D

If anyone else has any advice/suggestions, they're of course welcome also.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    some poses I find myself doing often in prenatal yoga. I'll give the english names.

baby pose
    pigeon
    camel
    squats
    cat/cow
    triangle
    warrior 2
    tree (tadasnaa)
    seated wide angle
    seated bound angle
    downward facing dog
  • goldencurlygoldencurly Registered Users Posts: 2,385
    cat/cow - the most important thing I did while pregnant!

Another, and I don't remember its name, is when you are on all fours and you lift your right arm straight out and extend your left leg up and back, then go back to all 4 and do the left arm and right leg. This really helped with my posture and getting my balance issues and preggo clumsiness under control. It also helped with lower back pain.
    Thanks so much Webbie!
    cat/cow - the most important thing I did while pregnant!

Another, and I don't remember its name, is when you are on all fours and you lift your right arm straight out and extend your left leg up and back, then go back to all 4 and do the left arm and right leg. This really helped with my posture and getting my balance issues and preggo clumsiness under control. It also helped with lower back pain.

golden - I'm totally with you on cat/cow. I had some mild cramping this morning and immediately did some cat/cow which really helped. I also do the spinal balance things you described, which are also good.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    I third the cat cow with baby pose a close second. I'm in labor right now (early labor) and these positions really help keep my nausious feelings donw and make my hips feel better. Unfortunately my knees are feeling ooky so I often use the baby pose supported by putting blankets under my knees and extra pillows under my chest.
    I third the cat cow with baby pose a close second. I'm in labor right now (early labor) and these positions really help keep my nausious feelings donw and make my hips feel better. Unfortunately my knees are feeling ooky so I often use the baby pose supported by putting blankets under my knees and extra pillows under my chest.

Dumb question, but is baby pose the same as child's pose? I've been liking child's pose, just modifying it by spreading my knees wide to make room for my belly.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    yup it's the same thing. balasana is the actual name.

my current modification is that the knees are super wide but the toes touch.
    my current modification is that the knees are super wide but the toes touch.

This is pretty much how I've been doing it lately. I don't need to make my knees TOO wide yet, but I do keep the toes touching.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    I'm in labor right now (early labor) and these positions really help keep my nausious feelings donw and make my hips feel better.

D'oh! How did I not respond to this sooner!!! Congratulations and I hope all is going well :)
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Bumping with a question. I had my first pre-natal yoga class last night. I haven't done yoga regularly for a couple of years.

I was surprised that we spent a good amount of time in shavasana with our heads slightly raised by some folded mats. I was quite uncomfortable due to lower back pain. I ended up bending my knees, but I wonder if I should have put a pad or blanket under my lower back.

Two things: is this posture ok and what would be the best modification? Any thoughts or recommendations?
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    Bumping with a question. I had my first pre-natal yoga class last night. I haven't done yoga regularly for a couple of years.

I was surprised that we spent a good amount of time in shavasana with our heads slightly raised by some folded mats. I was quite uncomfortable due to lower back pain. I ended up bending my knees, but I wonder if I should have put a pad or blanket under my lower back.

Two things: is this posture ok and what would be the best modification? Any thoughts or recommendations?

I'm surprised they had you do that, as most current recommendations say not to lay on your back for extended periods after the first trimester. In my prenatal fitness class, we do some yoga at the end and most of us lay on our sides for final relaxation. Even that's not super-comfortable without extra pillows, but I sometimes place a fist between my knees to simulate using a pillow.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    a good rule of thumb with all yoga positions is if it hurts or causes major discomfort, modify.

Savasana can be done in many ways.

Towards the end of my preganancy, I used 2 blocks 2 blankets and a bolster to lay on my back:

Stack one block vertically and place the other block horizontally. Then create an incline by placing the bolster on the blocks. Create a sausage like roll with each blanket. Lay down on the incline and place each sausage roll under your knees. the more pregnant I became, the steeper the incline I needed.

You can also lay on your side, using a bolster to elevate the top knee.

You can also lay on your back, butt against the wall and place your feet up the wall.

• AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    PixieCurl wrote:
    fuzzbucket wrote:

I'm surprised they had you do that, as most current recommendations say not to lay on your back for extended periods after the first trimester. In my prenatal fitness class, we do some yoga at the end and most of us lay on our sides for final relaxation. Even that's not super-comfortable without extra pillows, but I sometimes place a fist between my knees to simulate using a pillow.

I love lying on my back... not for yoga because I don't do that, but when I am sleeping or relaxing at home. I don't really get why people are so freaked out about pregnant women doing that.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:
    I love lying on my back... not for yoga because I don't do that, but when I am sleeping or relaxing at home. I don't really get why people are so freaked out about pregnant women doing that.

I'm not really saying that I'M freaked out about it, but most of the current recommendations out there (including ACOG) say not to do it, so I'm surprised an organized exercise class would do it. Plus, if fuzzbucket's having pain when she lies on her back, then she should avoid it.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Amneris wrote:

I'm not really saying that I'M freaked out about it, but most of the current recommendations out there (including ACOG) say not to do it, so I'm surprised an organized exercise class would do it. Plus, if fuzzbucket's having pain when she lies on her back, then she should avoid it.

Oh, I wasn't trying to criticize you or fuzzbucket! I was just saying that I don't get the back thing... maybe I am an unusual case, but I haven't had issues with it yet. I actually feel most calm and focussed lying on my back feeling and watching the baby move.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

lying on your back becomes more of an issue towards the end of your pregnancy, especially if your baby is not in the optimal position for labor.
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    I think this might work for me:

relaxapreg.jpg

It's similar to how I have been sleeping.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    I think this might work for me:

relaxapreg.jpg

It's similar to how I have been sleeping.

That looks comfy. Sort of, half back/half side.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    I used that position towards the end. The only difference is that I would use a higher bolster instead of a block.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file