Group B strep test came back positive

picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
I found out yesterday that my group B test came back positive I told my husband and he asks "so what you have strep vagina" Just thought I'd share
Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png

Comments

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Strep of the vagina. :lol:

Many women have pos. strep B in that area...it just means that they will give you and baby antibotics.

I didn't get tested though, as my babies were planned sections.
    :rambo:
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I had it with #1, for sure. Cannot recall if I had it with #2. I just know my midwife made me test myself for it. I was *not* happy about that.
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I haven't been tested for that yet? When will that happen?
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Soon. They usually do it around 38 weeks. As I said before (even though I was argued with about it) they do a simple swab of your outer vaginal area, and your outer rectum. Sounds worse than it is. It's really quick, and although you may feel a little 'zing' as she does the swabbing, it's over in 2 seconds.

I guess Group B Strep is something that's very common and is in your system normally, and can become active at any time. They have to check if it's become active while you're pregnant b/c you need to be given antibiotics for it while you're in labor to keep from passing it on to the baby. Since you are having the antibiotics, you will be hooked up to an IV for fluid as well - but if you were going to have an epidural, they'd need you to be hooked up to IV fluid, so you kinda kill two birds w/ one stone. I had Group B w/ my first pregnancy too.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    medussa wrote:
    I had it with #1, for sure. Cannot recall if I had it with #2. I just know my midwife made me test myself for it. I was *not* happy about that.
    :lol:
    lol @ babyway 'zing'
    damn, girl, you kill me...

• sarah42sarah42 Registered Users Posts: 4,034
    I had group B strep with DS. I had to get IV antibiotics during labor. I actually wasn't at the hospital in labor long enough to get the full course of antibiotics, but DS did not contract it and was perfectly fine. I think that even if you're + and don't get antibiotics, there's still a fairly small chance of bad consequences.
    ehLB.jpg
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I have read that about 30% of the population is Group B strep positive and it's not the big deal some doctors make it out to be.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    What happens if you go into labor before they have a chance to test you?
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    shelli wrote:

I've wondered that myself. Don't know.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    shelli wrote:

They give you the antibiotics as a precaution. I went into labour before they got the results back. Although, I found out later that I was negative.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    shelli wrote:
    I haven't been tested for that yet? When will that happen?

My Dr. and most stuff I've read have said they test around 35 weeks I guess though it could differ from Dr. to Dr.. It's not a bad test at all they just do a quick little swab and they're done takes like no time at all and the discription of the "little zing" feeling is so dead on your just like oh hello and then it's over.

I'm an hour away from the hospital so I'm worried about what would happen if I don't make it down there in time to get the antibiotics. My last labor was 23 hrs so I think that's part wishful thinking
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    babywavy wrote:
    shelli wrote:

I've wondered that myself. Don't know.

They tested me after my water broke but didn't get the results back until after he was born. They just added antibiotics to my IV cocktail and I think he had to have some extra ones after birth.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • subbrocksubbrock Registered Users Posts: 8,212
    they tested me super early--because they said they would have to start checking my cervix weekly starting at about 20 weeks to make sure that it wasnt dilating prematurely. but i guess they said to hell with that because after i tested positive for it, that was pretty much all ive heard about it.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    There's this girl from around here she does my sis-in-law's hair and I guess when she went into the hospital in labor the nurses sent her home telling her that she was dialated to a 3 and that wasn't far enough along for her to say anyway she went home and then went back to the hospital when she couldn't take it any longer and she had prgressed so fast that they had to force the antibiotics into her arm to get both things through her in time.She said her arm hurt worse then the contractions. So now I'm all worried that that is going to be what happens to me. Or I keep worrying that I'm not going to make it to the hospital at all then what happens. Things would be a little less stressful had I not tested positive
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file