How do you have your wavy hair cut?

LImeLIme Posts: 57Registered Users
I was starting to have this discussion on the general board..I do the CG thing and love it..have been to Devachan numerous times and had Deva trained stylists cut my hair and cannot find a way that compliments my wavy hair..I am starting to think the CG way of cutting doesnt work for me..but my next cut will most likely be back to Devachan..Anyone found a way that works to cut wavy hair??

Comments

• teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    I think it varies a lot person to person, and hair type to hair type for example some wavies LOVE layers. I HATE them, I always get shelf hair. I much prefer a blunt cut. I think i'm curlier with layers, but I think it looks better straight across. I also prefer mine longer (it's currently about bra-strap length), shorter hair seems to curl more, but it's also a bit less predictable.

But that's just me. Hopefully someone else will pop in with how their hair likes to be cut :)
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • LImeLIme Posts: 57Registered Users
    that is what i have now, shelf hair...my Deva trained stylist layered it mid head then bobbed me across..so I have a shelf and a pyramid at my jaw..its very attractive (being sarcastic)..maybe i should cut it myself :?
  • HeatherDawnHeatherDawn Posts: 300Registered Users
    I have a local girl that cuts mine in layers, but mine are like a LONG shag. The front (shortest layer) is about shoulder length and the back is almost BSL. I like the layers because I have thick hair and it looks like a bush if I don't do SOMETHING like that to it. I think there is a picture in my Fotki...

As mentioned before, it really is a personal thing. I like mine though. :D
    HeatherDawn
    2C/3A
  • FuzzyMonsterFuzzyMonster Posts: 259Registered Users
    I have my hair cut in layers. I tried growing out to all one length, and I didn't like it because it was flat on top and poofy on the bottom. It curls more with layers and dries faster. Hope that helps.
    Mostly 2A; Fine and wavy :batman:
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    My hair looks like crap all one length. I'm a long layers gal. Like HeatherDawn, my shortest is shoulder length (well, just past it now) and the longest is just past BSL. That short part is only the front face framing bits. The shortest layer in the back is a bit longer.
    My hair also looks good when the shortest front parts are between chin and shoulder length but I'm growing my hair out so I don't care much for that at this point.
    Unlike HeatherDawn, I have fine thin hair. But the same type of cut works or me too. So it's a flexible, kinda universal thing if you wanna go with layers. :)

And not that it has anything to do with why I have this cut or what anyone here might do with it, this cut looks awesome straight as well.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

http://public.fotki.com/thekittenavenger
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • msgibletmsgiblet Posts: 5,825Registered Users
    My hair is also cut in layers. I am in the process of letting the layers grow out a bit because they were too short. The stylist I have recently started going to, who is trained in cutting curly hair, suggested I let the layers grow maybe 2-3 inches longer. Since they've gotten longer, my hair is actually curling and spiralling more than just waving. My hair is fine, but I have a lot of it and I don't think it looks as good all one length.
    http://public.fotki.com/msgiblet/ - pw: gibber -- Pics Added 7/10/11
    Fine, Thick, Normal Porosity, Normal Elasticity

Countess Balashi of Divi Beach in the Order of the Curly Crusaders :occasion5:

If I'm Going To Have A Bad Hair Day, It Might As Well Be In Aruba!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • teela1978teela1978 Posts: 278Registered Users
    Wow, looks like blunt cut girls are in the minority around here :) I also have rather fine and thin hair compared to most of you though so maybe that's why.
    Fine Wavy (2a)
    Weeklyish shampoo with CO's inbetween to keep down the grease.
  • stubbornirishhairstubbornirishhair Posts: 118Registered Users
    I also prefer layers, for the reason cited above. (Tons of hair) There's no rules though. Since you are unhappy with your hair currently, maybe you should go somewhere besides Devachan and try something new.
    2B wavy thick hair
    Fia=2a M iii
    modified CG since 1/12/06
  • LImeLIme Posts: 57Registered Users
    i am so "afraid" to take the plunge and have my hair cut again. I think i have to let it grow to establish more waves then go from there...thanks for the good responses!!!
  • kjwavykjwavy Posts: 362Registered Users
    I find the best cut for me is definitely layers, but I have my stylist 'point cut' them. She cuts into the layers rather than just cutting them straight across, if this makes any sense at all. This helps my hair clump more & spiral around itself.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Discovered nc.com in 09/2003

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Shampoo: Still use sulfates, but only on roots
    Rinse out: Deva One C, JC Too Shea, Original Sprouts Deep Conditioner
    Curl Enhancers: KCCC; JC Rocking Ringlets, JC Spiralicious, & Confident Coils
    Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• LisaBBLisaBB Posts: 4Registered Users
    kj (or anyone)... does anyone have any links/pics/vids/explanation of this point cutting technique? Everyone I see wants to grab huge chunks of hair and use the scissors against their finger line to give me layers. I tend to end up with a clumpy disconnected look.

Maybe this 'point cut' thing is the way I need to go.
    Hi LisaBB - I don't have any pics of someone actually point cutting, but instead of cutting straight across her finger line while holding the chunk of hair, she cuts *into* the chunk at maybe a 45 degree angle. This way, the hair doesn't form *shelf* layers & just seems to blend better.

2b~~fine texture~~normal porosity (except for highlights, which are high)~~normal elasticity~~medium density

Styler: BRHG (over any and all curl enhancers) - this is the one product that I never change - absolute HG!!

I

• LisaBBLisaBB Posts: 4Registered Users
    kj - I've actually had that then. But moreso just for bangs, but it was very subtle - perhaps 1/4 inch. Come to think of it, that was more like a 90 deg angle. A texturizing.

May I ask about how much hair they have above the finger in the cutting zone that they point cut into? I suppose this would depend on long vs. short hair perhaps, but I'd like to get a general idea in case I have to walk a stylist through this (which is a ridiculous concept to have to resort to IMO).
    I would say that she has probably a good 1/2" - 3/4" above her fingers when she cuts into it. If she's taking off a lot of length, she'll cut it straight across first, then re-comb that section, then cut into it. I finally have a stylist who understands what I want - it's so hard to find a good one that speaks the same language, lol :D

I

• UP LisaUP Lisa Posts: 98Registered Users
    Mine is blunt. I've had lots of layered cuts, but no more! I want all one length.
    2b. Dark Golden Blond. Very fine texture. Medium thickness. Thrilled to find waves!!!
  • MaureneMaurene Posts: 69Registered Users
    My hair has always been layered. My hair is very thick and everyone always said my hair would curl better short - but I don't think thats true. The top, crown layers have usually be very short and perfectly straight. And, then I'd get a lot of curl at the nape. But now that I've been growing my hair out and doing the CG thing, the top layer is curling into spirals (near the root even). So I'm guessing that my curl pattern needs length before it can develop.

Right now my hair is basically in two layers. The top layer is a little below chin level and the bottom layer rests on my shoulders. This is the longest I have EVER had my hair. Its not a great cut, IMO, but I want to keep growing out the top layer especially to see what happens to the curl. It kinda a big bush right now but I'm trying to figure it out.
  • athena2552athena2552 Posts: 1Registered Users
    I have my hair cut just like Heather Dawn's. In fact, we could be twins from the back as it's the same color and length too -- and same wave! I have long layers; cannot live without layers or I get bozo-head. Plus my hair is SO thick and tangly I'd never get a comb through it.

I leave it to towel dry until it's damp -- doesn't curl right when it's soaking wet, then put cheap gel through it with my fingers (I brush it BEFORE I shower, then just finger comb it after.) I scrunch just a little little bit, and walk away and leave it air dry. I find that the less I mess with it, the better.
    http://www.write2thepointcom.com
    mid-back length 2C working towards 3A. Started CG routine 10/12/02. It didn't work. I still shampoo once or twice a week and do the conditioner rinse the rest.
  • JamieVJamieV Posts: 158Registered Users
    Long layers are my best friend. I am a wavy. My hair is thick and the layers work (if done right) However just this past Monday I wanted a change and got a graduated bob. I actually didn't explain it right and did not get the bob with layers and right now I have major triangle head (I am too embarassed to post pictures) And my hair being thick only adds to the trangleness of it. I am going back on Saturday to get layers added and hopefully this will be the right look and right cut for me. But over all, I always do look better with longer hair at least shoulder length and long layers. I will try to post pictures of my haircut after Saturday (if, as I am praying, it will turn out the way I want it)
    2c thick, heavy waves. Started CG (lo poo) in July '07. before that I straightened it and used hot rollers for years. pw wavy
  • msjananimsjanani Posts: 624Registered Users
    My stylist (THE BEST EVER) does "random layers" (which sound an awful lot like the Ouidad style described on the main page article) with the "rake and shake" just as she sees fit to shape my hair to my face. (death to triangle head!)
    3A low/medium porosity, medium texture

Current products:
    Stylers: HE Tousle Me Softly, Condition 3-in-1 Mousse
    Conditioners: Terax Crema, Mill Creek Botanicals Henna Conditioner
    Cleanser: DevaCurl NoPoo

http://www.flickr.com/photos/theevolutionofcurl/
  • FearnotsomuchFearnotsomuch Posts: 368Registered Users
    Mine is blunt cut for the most part, but I do have a few layers in there for movement.
    In DESPERATE need of a haircut.
  • wyldchildcurlswyldchildcurls Posts: 393Users Awaiting Email Confirmation
    I have a blunt cut. Whenever I have layers the thinnest layer always looks too scraggly and thin compared the the others.
  • LadyChamomileBettyLadyChamomileBetty Posts: 23Registered Users
    I have very thick heavy hair and just got more layers put in. I had my almost BS length hair just an inch shy of one length and it didn't do anything for me. I also like to wear my hair up and it was getting too heavy. My layers now would be considered longer and my length is about 2" above BS. It's just so much easier to wear up also. I actually think I need a tad more off.

hth
    Angel Hugs and Love

Thick, Med-Coarse 2c-3a
    Long Layers
    20.5 - 25.5 June - 30
    Just Below BS
  • SoCalWavySoCalWavy Posts: 92Registered Users
    Encouraging to hear that some of you all are having good luck with point cutting.

Funny story: I went to a stylist for a consult (only a consult thank god) and he suggested doing point cutting in my already heavily layered, fine, medium thickness hair. I was like "whhaaaaaatt?" I mean my top layer is like eye level and my longest is almost BSL. I mean come ON! Where would he put extra layers? Anyway, I was kind of frizzy that day and so I think that's where he got the idea, but still. He was very "Shampoo" and I don't think I'll be going back, he was like "how about if I just blow it out straight??" BUH-bye!
    2A/3A, high porosity, fine, normal elasticity.
    Shampoo Bar: Dr. Bronner's Baby Bar
    Condish: KBB Milk/Mop Top/TJ Nourish
    Leave-In: See Above!
    Curl Enhancer: KCCC/BB Gelee
    Hold: Fuzzy Duck(med)/BRHG(strong)
    2nd Day Hair: FOTE + Dab BRHG

Loving BB Gelee right now
    my hair likes: protein, light gels/sprays
    Fotki: pw=curly

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji