How far along - weeks vs. months

PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
I know how the weeks work - you start 2 weeks before the presumed conception date, which is often the first day of the last period.

My question is, if someone asks you how far along you are and you want to answer with months, how do you do it? Do you just divide your weeks by 4? For example, right now I'm 19 weeks and 2 days. Dividing by 4 I'd probably just say "I'm almost 5 months" (easier than saying 4 and 3/4 months). But when I think about it, today is actually exactly 4 months from our presumed conception date. So now I feel like it's kind of misleading to say I'm almost 5 months. Or, another example, some of my friends are coming to visit me Memorial Day weekend - I hit 24 weeks on the Monday of Memorial Day. Dividing by 4, I'd say I'm 6 months along, but again, it will really only be 5 calendar months from conception.

Should I just not care or analyze this so much? :lol:
Faith, 3Aish redhead
Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    PixieCurl wrote:
    Should I just not care or analyze this so much? :lol:

Just give them a rough guess, that's all people want to know. Or else just say "I'm due ...." and let them do the math. :lol:

Same with the age of the kid. After a year, no one really wants to know how many months old the kid is (unless they are doing a head-to-head comparison with their own similarly aged kid).

• SystemSystem Posts: 39,060 Administrator
    I give a rough estimate by month and I don't really reveal the due date unless asked. I was 40 weeks yesterday, but I don't really consider myself late.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I give a rough estimate by month and I don't really reveal the due date unless asked. I was 40 weeks yesterday, but I don't really consider myself late.

Why is that?

I give a rough estimate by month also. But a lot of people tend to ask me when I'm due.
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    I think most people want to know how far you are from delivery, and if they don't know a lot about pregnancy, the weeks/months thing confuses them. So if you're due September 15 (to pick a random date) and someone asks you on April 25 how far along you are, the simplest thing is to say you're due about 5 months from now, and that you are x number of weeks, for those who use weeks. I never find the months thing particularly useful because as you said it doesn't really correspond with the calendar months. For example, I am supposedly starting month 8 in a week and a half, and I think if I told most people I was 8 months at that point, they would think I was due in early June, but I will still be almost 2 1/2 months from my due date, which to most people would be 6 1/2 months pregnant (which would be the amount of time on the calendar I would actually have been pregnant.)
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    Exactly, Amneris. It's quite confusing.

And mad scientist, I totally agree that most people just want a rough guess, which is why I like to answer most people with months instead of weeks. I guess at some points, I just wouldn't know how many months to say. Like now, would I say 4 months or 5? At Memorial Day, will I say 5 months or 6?

I definitely prefer when people ask when I'm due, because it's a much easier answer :lol:
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte

Are you getting stir crazy yet?
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    I just tell them weeks and then if they go how many months is that I tell them that I have no idead I don't keep track of it that way. When they say so your 36 weeks along how much longer I say well pregnancy last 40 weeks so I've got about 4 weeks left. It just confuses me to figure out how far I am in months so I just do it that way. It does drive me crazy when people say things like "oh must be really ready for it to be over if you're keeping track of weeks" I'm always like " no not really that's just how you keep track of it now"

I think before like when our mom's were pregnant they just kept track of months and that's why a lot of people ask about months. Don't stress over it just tell them how far along you are in weeks and be done with it, it won't kill them to learn something new that day
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    I used to estimate and give the due "time" , "I am around 5 months, due around the end of July."
    :rambo:
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I get really confused about the month/week thing too!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    I use this from another message board.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • WileE-DeadWileE-Dead Banned Banned Users Posts: 24,963 Curl Neophyte
    Yes :lol:
    Just say I'm due such and such...

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    It's TOTALLY confusing. Especially w/ the first pregnancy. I remember being confused about the due date thing all the time. I was always off a week from what my OB would say I was. The OB goes by when your last period was, and calculates from there. Also, it's based on a 40 week pregnancy, which if we're just dividing that by 4 weeks in a month, we're really pregnant for 10 months. AUGH! :lol:

BUT, since it's so confusing, I usually divide my weeks by 4, and give what the month would be. At this point I'm so far along, the question isn't "how far along are you" but rather "when are you do" since they probably think I'm ready to drop the baby on the floor in front of them. So lately instead of saying how far along I am, I'm more focused on the fact that I only have a little over 5 weeks to go!! :lol:
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    medussa wrote:

Why is that?

I give a rough estimate by month also. But a lot of people tend to ask me when I'm due.

When I tell someone a date for something and it doesn't happen on that date, it just raises more questions and for some, anxiety about my pregnancy. Unnecessary anxiety. And the last thing I need is to be around anxious people.

Fully cooked babies usually come anywhere between 38 and 42 weeks. That's a helluva gap. I rather say "end of april/beginning of may". Seems more accurate IMHO. I'll start feeling concerned at the end of 42 weeks. I have full confidence in my body and those who are caring for me.
    Spider wrote:

Are you getting stir crazy yet?

nope. I'm too busy enjoying the vacation :D
    I rather say "end of april/beginning of may". Seems more accurate IMHO. I'll start feeling concerned at the end of 42 weeks.

I agree. Although it seems like many women go into labor right around their due date, many don't (like me). To give an actual date isn't very accurate, when talking about myself. I think I'll start to use end of June/beginning of July when people ask me when I'm due.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    I think most people know that there is the possibility of going early, as well as going late. It's actually pretty rare to deliver ON your due date. When asking when you're due, they probably just want to know your due date to get an idea, more or less.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    I went by months, so i was due in sept, in May i was in my fifth month, june was sixth, july was 7th, aug was 8th and when sept hit i was in my 9th.

I know it was not always exact b/c i was due the 23rd of sept. it was close enough, i lost track of the weeks after a while
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    I think of pregnancy in weeks. When people say they're X months pregnant, I have to stop and think "ok, how many weeks would that be?"
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I think of pregnancy in weeks. When people say they're X months pregnant, I have to stop and think "ok, how many weeks would that be?"

Me too. Probably because of my medical background, months means very little to me when tracking a pregnancy. I always have to convert it to weeks in my head.
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    iris and RCW, I think the same way, but only because I "know" now. Both of you have backgrounds that you know a lot more about pregnancy than the average person. Also, many people around my age that I know IRL have no experience with pregnancy so to them it's just 9 months and the weeks thing is all new.
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    The doula my midwife knows of, charges $1,000. I think I'll pass on her but might look into finding one who is in training.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    PixieCurl wrote:
    iris and RCW, I think the same way, but only because I "know" now. Both of you have backgrounds that you know a lot more about pregnancy than the average person. Also, many people around my age that I know IRL have no experience with pregnancy so to them it's just 9 months and the weeks thing is all new.

Pixie, absolutely. Before I trained to be a doula I didn't know much about pregnancy at all, and thought of pregnancy in terms of months. I had no idea about weeks or the 38-42 week window or things like that.
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file