Could someone describe the current MAC Viva Glam?

CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
I'm not normally a MAC fan and the Viva Glam has been way wrong for me in the past but I kinda like the way it's looking on Linda in the ads. I'm also curious about the gloss or glass or whatever. Is it really a pinky brown?

ETA: Is it really any different from Nars' Dolce Vita - go here and scroll down, please:

http://www.sephora.com/browse/product.jhtml?id=P2865&shouldPaginate=true

Comments

• rouquinnerouquinne Posts: 13,633Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    it's hard to tell from that tiny scribble, but VG 5 does look quite a bit like Dolce Vita.

the best way for me to describe the colour is as a really natural deep rose pink with a brown undertone - that's for both the lipstick and the lipglass.

Linda Evangelista wears the lipglass over Spice pencil in her photos for MAC. i use a nude pencil like Stripdown or Test Pattern or Bonne Belle Sheer Berry.
    My blog:

http://labellatestarossa.blogspot.ca/

Little Mother of all the Roaches, President-for-Life of the MAC Harlots!
  • CGNYCCGNYC Posts: 4,938Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    Thanks!
  • ImSpartacusImSpartacus Posts: 24Registered Users
    I was playing around with the Viva Glam V lipglass today. What rouquinne said is right on. Pink with a touch of brown is a great description. My meter was running out so I didn't try it on. But I'll probably go back and check it out again. It looked like a versatile color that works well with many skin tones.

From the link you posted The Nars Dolce Vita has more of a plummy, purple color to it. This is more of an obvious pink muted with some brown. To get an idea of what a color looks like, I sometimes do a search on mua to look at photos people have posted of a shade.

I spent $99 at the MAC counter today :shock:
    3 lipglasses, 1 lip liner, and a fluffy brush at $40. I think I'll return the brush cause it's not exactly what I wanted. (No, I didn't use it.)
    Hm. Well. If it is slightly different, then it's totally realistic that I might need it. The Dolce Vita is really pinky brown on me - I would say almost too neutral. I still can't get used to myself in proper lipstick after like 5 or 6 years of sheers so maybe the gloss would be better.

I'm going to have to go check this out in person. Man, I hate the kids at the MAC counter near me. They are the main reason I don't shop there. Ugh. Wish me luck. These children are so rude...maybe you should wish them luck as well. This could get ugly.
    the VG 5 is in MAC's lustre formula, so it's a very sheer lipstick too.

and if i lived only a subway ride away from the Soho Pro shop, i'd go there instead of my nearest counter!

:D
    My blog:

That's a very good point. I may just do that.
  • ImSpartacusImSpartacus Posts: 24Registered Users
    Check out salsabelle's profile on mua. She has lots of MAC pictures :shock:
    so do SweetMelissa and KoRNcat! :D
    My blog:

Being lazy and having a little case of insomnia, I just ordered the stuff. My reviews:

Spice lip liner - looks like red clay on me. Not flattering. Almost exactly the same color as a pencil I already have from Smashbox (my last case of insomnia...)

Viva Glam V (I think, the current one) lip gloss - very thick, not sheer enough, too brown, and the pink tones are kind of orangy. Not good. I do like the smell.

Viva Glam V (again, whatever the current one is) lipsitick - kinda blah. Not at all like the Dolce Vita from Nars, so at least there's that (Dolce Vita is vv fleshy pink on me) but it's still slightly orange and just nothing special.

It is very possible that the colors aren't horrible, they're just not right for me. They are way heavier than anything else I'd normally wear, but the colors aren't good on me either. I am not someone with pale lips so maybe that has something to do with it. I could get away with clear lipgloss and not look washed out. I think putting a lip color over my already fairly pigmented lips makes a lot of colors go all fakakta.

I've already given them away.

When will I learn? Stick with the tried and true - I wear Black Honey almost every time I wear makeup. I buy other things, I like sometimes like them (but mostly don't) but sooner or later it's back to the Black Honey. You would think I'd just save myself the $$$ and stick with what I know. I LOVE the way it looks, I don't know why I even bother with new stuff. Oh yeah, insomnia. Maybe I should just stock up on Ambian.
    Viva Glam 5 is the EXACT colour of my lips without anything on them.

and you could have returned them within a month of purchase if you had kept the receipt. they take them back, no questions asked!
    My blog:

Viva Glam in the tube is loverly - it's just funkerly on me. Oh well, I tried. I did like that it was fairly sheer without being shiny. You don't find that often. It was VERY similar to one of the caffine lipsticks that Hard Candy used to make.

I thought their return policy was fairly generous (gotta love that) but my cousin and I have a habit of trading our bloopers so it works out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file