Xander can hear!! It's a miracle!

DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
Okay, so maybe it's not a miracle but it's exciting all the same! We had his hearing tested again today and it is in the normal range. His ears are still draining but his ENT isn't worried about it. She thinks that is just related to how bad they were initially. We have to go back next week to follow up after trying some new drugs.

In other news, I hate nasty holier than thou moms. I asked this lady in the lobby how old her little boy was. She said almost three. I smiled and said that I was envying her because I was wondering how did she get so lucky as to have such a calm toddler. She said something along the lines of his dad taught him to be that way. There was the definite implication there that my toddler was a wild savage beast who had parents with no parenting skills. I couldn't think of anything sufficiently ugly to say back so I just turned away. Why do some people do that? I have an 18 month old. I don't expect him to be calm. He wasn't tearing up, he was just roaming around.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    Hooray for Xander!

And screw that woman :evil: She must have forgotten what having an 18 month old was like. :roll:
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    What a relief about Xander's hearing!! I can't believe there is still goo coming out of his ears. Although just imagine that all that stuff has been stuck in his ears all this time.

And poop on the snotty Mama. My 18 month old is spirited and loud and happy and I wouldn't have it any other way (well, most of the time, atleast....).

• PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    YAY for Xander!!!!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
  • deedlesdeedles Registered Users Posts: 2,467 Curl Connoisseur
    Hip-Hip Hooray!!!

That's great DA!! Liam goes in for his surgery May 3rd!! I am so nervous for him but I hope things will go well just like Xander!

~d
    Liam: 6 years old
    Colin: 3 years old
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    YAAAAAYYYYY!!!!
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Great news!!!
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    That is good news!

As for the other mom - I just shake my head! Her child is probably a real terror at home and most of the time.

Sometimes people see Evan sitting so calmly and tell me 'What a good quiet baby!' I tell them the honest truth - "He's checking out the situation. In a minute, he'll be shouting, giggling and jumping up and down."
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    That is great news!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • loosecurlsloosecurls Registered Users Posts: 637
    That is WONDERFUL news!! I cannot even imagine the cloud you're walking on now!!

As for "uber-mom"---just wait, she'll get hers. Even the best behaved children will start to act out at some point. It may be at home, it may be in public, but rest assured her perfect little darling will one day have a doozy of a tantrum & she'll be mortified!
    Slinky's rule for NC.com:

I suppose I can't judge you because you married a serviceman and it is wartime. Boo hoo. You must be loney sitting at home with nothing else to do but pick on people. Why don't you go masterbate again?
  • SweetPicklesSweetPickles Registered Users Posts: 850
    Yay! I'm so glad that this worked!
    Hair type: Completely confused: mostly 3a, some 3b parts, and even 2 in places; very fine and thin.
    Products: Elucence clarifying & MBC; CK, F/X Curl Booster Fixative Gel (when I can find it)
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, everyone!!

What really pissed me off about that witch in the lobby was that Xander was not acting out or anything. He was being a normal inquisitive 18 month old and "investigating" the lobby but that was it. He was quiet and out of the way. Not even running around. It just seemed needlessly judgmental. I'm the first to admit that he is a handful when he is throwing a tantrum or food. At that time, he was acting fine.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Yeah for Xander!!!!

Pooey on that mom. I agree with internetchick. That mom's probably forgotten. If Chas was quiet all the time...I would think he was sick.
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    DarkAngel wrote:
    In other news, I hate nasty holier than thou moms. I asked this lady in the lobby how old her little boy was. She said almost three. I smiled and said that I was envying her because I was wondering how did she get so lucky as to have such a calm toddler. She said something along the lines of his dad taught him to be that way. There was the definite implication there that my toddler was a wild savage beast who had parents with no parenting skills. I couldn't think of anything sufficiently ugly to say back so I just turned away. Why do some people do that? I have an 18 month old. I don't expect him to be calm. He wasn't tearing up, he was just roaming around.

maybe i missed something. what did she say that was so bad?

you initiated the conversation with her by telling her that you envied her for being lucky to have such a calm toddler. what exactly was wrong with her reply? did she say it with an ugly tone and expression?

now, you are saying that you don't expect your son to be calm, and that he was just roaming about the area. so what prompted you to envy her and consider her lucky?
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    Yay! That's great news.

As to the other mom, I agree with rainshower... she doesn't sound nasty or holier than thou, because you were the one who initiated the topic. She didn't look at your son and then say "Oh, I am so lucky that my son's dad taught him to behave." THAT would be nasty and holier than thou. And I think it's kind of sweet that she gave credit to her husband and didn't take it herself. But maybe we are missing something in her tone or expression.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

• picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    yay!!!I'm so glad he can hear better. Did you notice hime noticing new sounds?? I've heard a lot of parents say that they noticed them noticing all these sounds that they had never been able to hear befofe the tubes
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png
    It was the tone and the expression. Perhaps you had to be there. I am sure that both of you have had things said to you that on their face were just fine comments but when combined with a look made it clear that they were not nice.

No, rainshower, I do not mind my son roaming around the lobby because that is normal behavior for his age. I do not expect him to sit still and find that it would be cruel to make him sit still. However, that does not stop me from looking at another mom with a child that I perceive to be around the same age as mine with envy if her child is sitting quietly. It gets exhausting chasing him down but it's all part of having an 18 month old. Ot at least having -my- 18 month old.

yay!!!I'm so glad he can hear better. Did you notice hime noticing new sounds?? I've heard a lot of parents say that they noticed them noticing all these sounds that they had never been able to hear befofe the tubes

Yes, I have. That's how I knew already that he was hearing better. He's stopped ignoring me as much, follows commands better, and mimics more. He also has added some new words in the last month. Strangely, he's started signing more too. A few loud noises, like the garage door, have startled him but he's adjusting.

• geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Elise has been great on some outings and a handful on others--you just never know what you'll get. And she is a day apart from Xander--which is the age when they just have to get into EVERYTHING. I'm guessing there was something in her tone that just didn't come off well and it stuck with you.

I'm glad to hear that everything has turned out okay for Xander.
  • wavezncurlzwavezncurlz Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Yay for xander! That must feel great.

As far as 18 month olds, that woman would have loved Ms. KD. Some days she's a pure pistol. Others, she's an angel. It comes with the territory. I'd like to have been a fly on the wall when her little one was 18 months! There is a big difference between expected behavior of an 18 month old and a 3 year old!
    HAIRCOLLAGE2010-1-1.jpg[

mini-album w/ various styles for the past 10 years of natural hair:
    http://s29.photobucket.com/albums/c252/wavezncurlz/hair/
    password: curlzorwavez
  • mrspoppersmrspoppers Registered Users Posts: 7,223 Curl Novice
    I never knew toddlers are like dogs that can be trained. Too bad more parents don't know this! :wink:

That's great that Xander can hear now. :)
    When are women going to face the fact that they don’t know their own bodies as well as men who have heard things?

Don Langrick
    Bonsai Culturist
    Mrs. Poppers, what are you doing in here? Do you have a secret to tell us? :lol: j/k Thank you for the well wishes.

Thanks, Wavezncurlz and Gemini.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file