soy milk for my toddler?

itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
so owen is pump weaned, and while he'll stomach his whole milk at daycare, it's a chore to get him to drink it. he's just not a fan. give the kid a sippy of water and he'll chug it down. if you give him milk, he doesn't go for it. we've tried giving it to him warm or room temp, and it's a no go. and forget getting him to drink it on the weekends. he trows the thing across the room and stares at me like "ma!? where's the boobies?!" so i usually end up nursing.
today i picked up vanilla soy milk thinking maybe he'd like the taste a little more. when he woke up from his nap we gave him a little of it in his sipper. he chugged the whole thing! seems we found a flavor he likes.

now, for those of you who do soy, do you worry about gas or constipation? i know too much soy gives me gas...so i don't go overboard....i was thinking maybe i should mix the soy with whole milk and see if he'll drink that? is it worth it? or should i just send some soy milk to daycare and call it a day?
i've looked it up and it looks like it's an okay replacement, they just say make sure it's fatty. he gets plenty of dairy otherwise, with his beloved cheese sticks and yogurt.
do i just go with it then?
3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....

Comments

• geekygeeky Registered Users Posts: 4,995
    We've switched Ben to soy milk (vanilla silk) because he tended to get constipated and dairy makes it worse. We haven't cut out the dairy 100% like they recommend in extreme cases, just the milk. I figure if it was constipating, the doc would not recommend it for us. I have not noticed any extra gas with it either. I would just go with it.
    To Trenell, MizKerri and geeky:
    I pray none of you ever has to live in a communist state.

Geeky is my hero. She's the true badass. The badass who doesn't even need to be a badass. There aren't enough O's in cool to describe her.
  • PhDCowPhDCow Registered Users Posts: 1,621 Curl Connoisseur
    Both wee demons were on soy milk from 12-24 months because of lactose intolerance. We never noticed any side effects of the soy.

Good luck!
    God doesn't give special kids to special parents. He takes ordinary, imperfect people, and gifts them with his greatest treasures. And therein, he creates special parents.

• PoPo Registered Users Posts: 2,607
    How old is he?

Maybe he just doesn't like milk-type products. My ped. said that kids (after a certain age) don't need milk. If they want it, fine, if they don't want it, that's fine, too. As long as he's getting calcium and fat from other sources, then he's fine. Especially since you say he eats dairy in other forms.

DJ only has milk at school and occassionally at home. He's gone weeks without having milk or milk substitutes at home. He's 3.
    3c/4a
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    What about adding a little ovaltine or something like that to whole milk, to improve the taste?

I guess I'm in the minority of people who think that too much soy may not be such a good idea for little kids, especially little boys. I'd probably do no milk (but other dairy - yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese) instead if DS didn't like cow's milk.

• M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    geeky wrote:
    We've switched Ben to soy milk (vanilla silk) because he tended to get constipated and dairy makes it worse. We haven't cut out the dairy 100% like they recommend in extreme cases, just the milk. I figure if it was constipating, the doc would not recommend it for us. I have not noticed any extra gas with it either. I would just go with it.

This is what we had to do with Emma. She would get severely constipated on reg. whole milk. So we switched to soy. We also didn't cut out the other dairy like cheese, etc, but we do limit it a bit.
    I haven't noticed any extra gas, either.
    :rambo:
  • Swirlycurly ChemistSwirlycurly Chemist Registered Users Posts: 335
    Raw goat milk is my preference. soy scares me.
    3A canopy with 3B underneath
    Low poo, not afraid of amine-based silicones or polyquats, silk proteins are good as well.
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    My nephew was on soy formula after 3 months and drank soymilk. He's fine. He was allergic to dairy and would break out in a rash. The allergy has gotten better but my sister still doesn't let him have a lot of dairy otherwise he has a stomach ache.

I think soy is fine. Why does Soy scare some of you??? Just wondering.
  • CynaminbearCynaminbear Registered Users Posts: 4,476 Curl Connoisseur
    After each one weaned all three of my kids were on soy milk until their 3rd birthday. My oldest is allergic to milk and had bronchitis twice in a month when I introduced it to him at 12 months. That's what happened to me when my dairy allergy was discovered. I didn't want to mess risk the same happening to the other two. I gave them an enriched version so they had extra calcium and fat. At one point they drank organic cow milk and the allergic child didn't have any problems, he just didn't like it. At $4 per 1/2 gallon, I was ok with switching back for him.
    They didn't have digestive problems while drinking it. My oldest switched to Rice Dream several years ago because he didn't like the particles in soy milk.
    There's no such thing as global warming. Chuck Norris was cold so he turned up the sun.
  • picklesgirlpicklesgirl Registered Users Posts: 1,955
    What about adding a little ovaltine or something like that to whole milk, to improve the taste?

I guess I'm in the minority of people who think that too much soy may not be such a good idea for little kids, especially little boys. I'd probably do no milk (but other dairy - yogurt, cheese, cottage cheese) instead if DS didn't like cow's milk.

That's what I was going to say to I'm not a big fan of white milk but I love flavored milk unfortunetly my son has picked up my taste when it comes to milk it should be interesting when he goes to school.
    Mm59.jpg.png

.png

.png

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file