We may need to take Laura to the hospital..UPDATE

imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
Laura hasn't had a bowel movement herself since birth. She was born 4/12, the next day the nurse took her temp rectally which helped her pass some meconium. Since that day she didn't have another bowel movement until this past Thursday, when on the advice of my ped. I had to give her a suppository. She went twice that day and I gave her another yesterday and she pooped again. My ped called me to get an update and he said that it is good that she pooped, but not to give her any more suppositories and that he wants to see if she will go herself by Sunday afternoon and if she doesn't we will have to take her to the hospital for testing. I am so worried and terrified that something is wrong with my baby. She isn't uncomfortable, her belly isn't hard and although breastfeeding is progressive, it is going well and I know my milk is in.

I never thought I would want to see poop so much in my life! If you could spare some prayers and positive thoughts for my baby girl we would really appreciate it. It is a mothers worst nightmare to be told something is wrong with your baby, and I really hope we don't have to hear that.
.png

.png

Comments

• internetchickinternetchick Registered Users Posts: 6,191
    (((hugs)))

Are you sure she's getting enough hind milk?
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    I couldn't poop as a baby. My parents took me to sooo many doctors. they learned that a tiny section of my intestines had not yet developed, so when the waste got to that point, it just stopped. It eventually developed on it's own, but they had to do many things until then to assist me. I had to take mineral oil to get it to shoot past the undeveloped part. Be sure they consider her intestines as they try to igure out the problem My mom said it took like 10 different doctors to figure that out!

Good luck to y'all and I hope everything turns out okay!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    (((hugs)))

Are you sure she's getting enough hind milk?

I'm pretty sure. It's hard to say how much she is getting when it is from the breast. Sometimes when I am engorged and she isn't hungry yet I will pump so I know in those bottles of EBM she is getting 3-4 oz. Sometimes she will nurse from only one breast, but I always try to rouse her and if she is not interested in taking the other breast and is content I'll let her be, but she will want fed sooner than if she were to eat from both. In that case as well I will pump from the other and save it for bottles.

The bowel movements she has had have looked normal, not as if she were dehydrated. I'm just so puzzled. When we use the suppository it comes out and looks normal, so I don't think it is a problem of being dehydrated, and it is coming out so how could it be a blockage? I'm wondering if her muscles down there are weak and may not be strong enough to push it out?

Of course I am here finding ways to blame myself. Is it my breastmilk? Am I not feeding her enough after all although I am feeding her on demand? And the worst fear of all is that since I was induced did I make the wrong decision and take her too early? I just want her to be alright, I'm so worried I am on the verge of tears constantly.
    .png

.png
  • MarMar Registered Users Posts: 3,004 Curl Neophyte
    Praying everything will be ok!
    "what's so funny 'bout peace, love and understanding?"

"If you judge people,you have no time to love them"
    -Mother Theresa
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I hope everything turns out okay. I'll be thinking of you!
  • SpiderSpider Registered Users Posts: 3,381 Curl Neophyte
    Though it seems hard to believe I guess some babies may not poop every day.

Nonetheless, sending poopie vibes to your baby!! :wink:
    Don't let your heart be broken. Let it love.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Poor Laura and poor you. I hope that her problems work out.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    I am sorry that Laura is having some problems. I hope the doctors find out what is wrong soon.
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Aw, poor baby Laura. Hope she has a movement soon.

I'll be thinking of you guys. {{{Hugs}}}.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I always thought that frequency of poop was irrelevant with breastfed babies? Whether they poop once a week, or 3 times a day, and isn't visibly uncomfortable or straining, it's all normal. If she's passed the meconium (which proves she has a patent anus) and went again 3 days ago with a suppository, and doesn't seem uncomfortable now, I really wouldn't worry too much. Of course follow the advice of your own doctor, but I don't really think it's all that important if 3 days pass without poop for a breastfed babe.
    I always thought that frequency of poop was irrelevant with breastfed babies? Whether they poop once a week, or 3 times a day, and isn't visibly uncomfortable or straining, it's all normal. If she's passed the meconium (which proves she has a patent anus) and went again 3 days ago with a suppository, and doesn't seem uncomfortable now, I really wouldn't worry too much. Of course follow the advice of your own doctor, but I don't really think it's all that important if 3 days pass without poop for a breastfed babe.

I know my kids would go days without pooping, or sometimes it would just be a smear. Seemed like it was always nothing or a blow out :?
    Seemed like it was always nothing or a blow out

I had one baby like that. She only pooped once or twice a week and it always required a bath and a load of laundry to clean up. It's amazing how much poop little ones can hold...enough to fill their diaper to overflowing, even going up to their necks, on both front AND back!
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    I hope everything turns out alright for baby Laura! Babies have such strange little digestive systems and a lot of things that we would consider unhealthy in an older person resolve themselves in babies as they get bigger.

DS was a once-every-8-days pooper from 2 months old until we started solids at 7 months. I think I changed more poopy diapers in the first month of solids than I had in the preceding 7 months.

• KaiaKaia Registered Users Posts: 8,815 Curl Connoisseur
    I hope everything is well with baby Laura!
    *Poster formerly known as Bailey422*

Here's all you have to know about men and women: women are crazy, men are stupid. And the main reason women are crazy is that men are stupid. ~ George Carlin
  • deezee02deezee02 Registered Users Posts: 1,509
    {{{HUGS}}}}

Steven is either once a day or once every 3 days. we had him checked, and everything was working well, so we were given the OK to add prune juice to his bottle if he hadn't had a BM in 2 days.

Their Digestive systems just take awhile to develop sometimes
    58eCm4.png
    SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    The above posters are right. Sometimes babies don't poop for days - especially breast fed babies. That means your baby is using up everything you are giving her through your milk.

Good luck.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    My daughter pooped after every feed - but a family members baby that was born around the same time as B, he only pooped once a week! It was like this the ENTIRE time he was a baby, and he was breast fed. Eventually they just decided that's how his body was going to work. I remember it being very frustrating for her though.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • iris427iris427 Registered Users Posts: 6,002
    Imagen, I hope you get everything figured out and that there is nothing wrong. At least it sounds like Laura is not uncomfortable.

I'm sure you did nothing wrong!
    3027585431_55b6195e50_s.jpg3028374752_0df4d81a1b_s.jpg3028422696_8dcef38baa_s.jpg
    TickerTicker.aspx?&TT=bdy&TT1=bdy&CL=29&CT=&CG=F&O=m_nestbirds&T=t_b14&D=20080913&M1=&D1=2009&T2=&T1=Baby+Iris&CC=0&CO=&step=5&radio=A
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    i call them 20 wipers and a bath!

both my babies had periods where they'd be void of a bm for a few days, sometimes up to 5 days with nothing but a smear. and then KABLOOWEY!

up their backs, down their legs, on their hands, on our bed, floor, me, passing motorists . . . hence the name 20 wipers, because it required 20 wipes to clean up the initial mess just to get them to the bath!

and all the while with little smirks on their faces like they know. :? :lol:

both of ours were exclusively breastfed. i knew they were getting enough milk because of the number of urine diapers. i think it's a baby butt thing that we'll never understand!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
    up their backs, down their legs, on their hands, on our bed, floor, me, passing motorists . . . hence the name 20 wipers, because it required 20 wipes to clean up the initial mess just to get them to the bath!

Just getting explosion-baby immediately to the bathtub was my goal. I'd strip in the tub and hose down with the shower head to get the initial mess, then rinse it all down and do a real bath. It was quite challenging sometimes, especially if we were out. One time, I had to bathe both the baby and myself at my aunt's house. I was so happy I had brought an extra outfit for ME that day.
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    We had a poop up the back explosion once in a restaurant. I did not bring a change of clothes for X. The bathroom also didn't have a changing table. I had to change his diaper on the floor while he kept trying to roll over and crawl off and then rinse him in the sink. He completed dinner in his high chair in just a diaper. :(

Imagen, I think the other moms might be right. Now I remember a few moms with infrequent poopers. Laura would let you know if she was uncomfortable. I hope she is just on her own schedule.
    image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • M2LRM2LR Registered Users Posts: 8,630 Curl Connoisseur
    Sending good vibes, although I am sure that everything is just fine. ITA that some babies poop more than others, and if she's passed the meconium, and has "normal" looking poops, then you're good...esp. if she's also not uncomfortable and all of that as well.

((HUGS)).

ITA that no one wants to hear that something is wrong...I am sure she's just fine!!! :D
    :rambo:
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Oh you poor thing. Chas was a regular breastfed pooper but I have heard of babies going a week and not pooping.

A friend of mine discovered her baby had problems with dairy so she had to quit eating dairy in her early months of breastfeeding. This helped the baby poop more often. I think maybe it was constipating her. You might try this??? She said even now the little one who is a a year 1/2 doesn't poop regularly and her older one is like clockwork.

Good luck. We'll be thinking about you.
  • geminigemini Registered Users Posts: 3,325
    Fingers crossed for Laura--hopefully it's nothing.
  • imagenimagen Registered Users Posts: 343
    We have an appointment at childrens hospital tomorrow for a rectal biopsy to rule out hirschprungs disease. The rectal biopsy entails them inserting something no bigger than a thermometer and taking a sample of cells from her rectum and colon. Hirschprungs disease is when some of the nerve cells that are normally present in the intestine do not form properly. In children with Hirschsprung's disease, a lack of nerve cells in part of the intestine interrupts the signal from the brain and prevents stool from passing through part of the intestine without nerves. Because stool cannot move forward normally, the intestine can become partially or completely blocked, and begins to expand to a larger than normal size. If it is this disease surgery is required but not until she is old enough to tolerate it. Sometimes they will do a colostomy before they do the surgery to repair the bad part of the intestine.

I am praying that this is not it. We saw the ped today and he seems to think that if she hasn't had any sort of bowel movement on her own by this point that this is most likely the case. I hope he is wrong. I have been crying my eyes out all day, looking at this precious little person who may have to go through so much. Please, if you can spare a prayer for my baby it would mean alot
    .png

.png
  • shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    That sounds exactly like how my mom describes what I had. I didn't know the name though. They said I could either outgrow it or they would do the surgery. Luckliy I outgrew it though. I was taken 3 weeks early by C-section, so it just hadn't properly developed yet. Before you agree to the surgery, ask them about her just outgrowing it. Sometimes, the intetine just needs a little more time to develop. Also, ask about the mineral oil treatments. I will ask my mom more about it and get back with you about some other options your doctor might not have given you. Even though you are upset, at least you have an answer now and aren't just not knowing! I hope everything works out!
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • SigiSigi Registered Users Posts: 2,379
    I'll be thinking of you and li'l Laura tomorrow. I hope they are able to give you a diagnosis soon so you can feel more at ease. It's got to be tough not knowing what's going on. Hang in there! (((HUGS)))
    (((hugs))) I hope that isn't what's going on with her.
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    I'm sorry you're going through this worry. Hopefully it's nothing major and you get some answers and treatment soon. {{{Hugs}}}.
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    Hugs to you and Laura. I'm sorry you have to go through this :( .

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file