Toddler meals

DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
I don't want to jinx it but Xander had an entire dinner of people food last night. I mentioned a few weeks ago that he would only eat baby food at home despite eating any and everything at his sitter's house. Two weeks ago, he decided that only he could feed himself and that we could not help. HUGE mess when dealing with stage 2 jarred food. It worked for him so we let him. Then this week, he decided to not eat anything at home. I would darn near have to sit on him to get one jar in him.

Because of all of that, I am thrilled that he had a proper dinner last night. I want to keep the trend going. Any suggestions on meals that I can prepare for him that won't send him back to the comfort of his jars? He only has 6 teeth (at 18 months) but seems to do okay with most foods.
image.php?type=2&o=5&c=1&date=2009-10-07&babyname=Sebastian

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    WTG Xander!

All of Karan's meals end with yogurt and applesauce that he spoonfeeds himself. Since he is a bottomless pit for those two things, I use those as a filler, in case he just nibbled on everything else.

The 2 big people foods that Karan can't say no to are omelettes and pancakes. I can pretty much take anything we are eating for dinner (chicken, veggies) and dice them up and put them in omelette form and serve with ketchup and he'll eat it. Same with pancakes. For a while, he was happy with grilled cheese and I could do the same thing (hide other foods in it) but no longer. He will also eat little pieces of chicken breast or white fish and fries. I still always have to follow with yo and applesauce to fill him up, though.

Otherwise, I pretty much have to make baby food out of our meals - I dice up the food and mix with a little yogurt and he'll eat it. But I still have to spoonfeed him, he won't eat it himself.

I hope others have ideas for you because I could use some too!

• shellibeanshellibean Registered Users Posts: 4,500
    The toddler I babysat was just starting to feed himself. He LOOOOOVED these frozen french toast sticks. I would just cut them up in a few peices for him and he would take it to town! Of course he always ended up a big gooey mess, but that was expected. He also could do pancakes, chicken nuggets, fruit cups, hashbrowns, cut up bananas, even hot dogs. I was always terrified to feed him hot dogs though b/c of the choking factor, so I would cut it down the center longways first and then in little peices- like half moon shapes. His mom never really cooked, so most of the kids food was frozen or pre-packaged plus some fruit.
    A closed mind is a wonderful thing to lose.

"...you could have a turd on your head and no one would notice."~Subbrock

"I had an imaginary puppy, but my grandpa ate him."~Bailey
  • rainshowerrainshower Registered Users Posts: 4,420
    we fed our toddlers everything we ate, only unseasoned.

diced baked chicken breast or pork chop or fish (flaked to ensure no bones)

rice or pasta cooked in low-sodium chicken broth

peas

steamed spinach

string beans diced to finger-gripping sizes

peeled and halved grapes (yeah, i was paranoid, and yes, it looks crazy peeling a grape!)

sliced bananas

organic yogurt

our kids weren't receptive to jar foods (except certain fruity desserts), so they ate what we ate. i never bought a processor; i just cooked theirs a little longer and used a fork to smash it up.

ETA: have you offered him soups? maybe a low-sodium (or salt-controlled homemade) tomato or vegetable soup and add some dry alphabet or wagon wheel pasta?

my mother kept both our kids while we worked. she makes homemade soups and stews for herself all year long. they were brought up on wholesome soups since toddlerdom!
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb
  • curlymelcurlymel Registered Users Posts: 359
    Here are some things that work for Audrey, although she is incredibly picky. I usually have to try 5 things before I can find something she will eat. Right now she is not interested in anything!

Breakfast: oatmeal, eggs with spinach and cheese, plain yogurt, fruit, whole wheat english muffin or toast with butter, natural fruit jelly or honey. She eats eggs pretty much every time I offer

Lunch/Dinner: whatever we are eating, usually. Sometimes I do something special for her. She loves meat. I can give her small chunks of chicken, pork or beef, seasoned or unseasoned. She also eats ground meats which I can add spinach to or shredded veggies. Sometimes I add marinara or pesto to the meat for flavor, but she will eat it fairly plain. She won't eat veggies most of the time, but putting cheese on them helps. Veggies and dip are good, too. You can also sneak veggies in breads, like banana and pumpkin.

Aside from that, Audrey will always take a stick of cheese and also will almost always eat cheerios and goldfish. She'll also eat dried fruits, but I limit them because of the sugar.

Good luck. I find the whole eating thing frustrating. Audrey has never been very good at it and she finally was doing better and I felt good about stopping EPing a month ago. Now she refuses almost everything I give to her and I feel guilty. And she isn't sick, either. I have resorted to giving her a multivitamin on the especially bad days. But, she can't be forced. She'll decide to eat again when she wants. :?
    Type 3a/3b, fine/medium hair, modified CG since 12/2003, Using CHS Curl Keeper, Bioterra gel, Ojon, Elucence
    http://public.fotki.com/curlymel/ Password: curls
  • fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    My nephew (in my avatar-who turned 2 yesterday!) went through a stage of loving anything he could dip. Ketchup was a favorite, so they would scramble some eggs and he would eat with his fingers and dip right in the ketchup. Gross, but he'd eat! He would even dip pieces of whole wheat toast into the butter (not getting much on it). It was funny to watch.

You could try little veggie pieces with some mild dressing. French toast or waffle pieces with syrup. Fruit slices with vanilla yogurt. Crackers with a little peanut butter. Chicken chunks/nuggets or hot dogs with ketchup. Any cut up hard food with any soft dip-able food! I think it was the novelty of the dipping action that worked.
    Hair type: 3A/B
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • DarkAngelDarkAngel Registered Users Posts: 2,671 Curl Neophyte
    Thanks, ladies! A lot of what was listed are foods that he has already vetoed (at my house but not at the sitter's.) I have few new ideas though so wish me luck!!

Fuzzbucket, you might be on to something with the dipping. He ate chicken nuggets with ketchup last night and seemed to have a blast with dipping them.

"Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind." -- Theodor Seuss Geisel
  • mad scientistmad scientist Registered Users Posts: 3,530 Curl Neophyte
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Thanks, ladies! A lot of what was listed are foods that he has already vetoed (at my house but not at the sitter's.) I have few new ideas though so wish me luck!.

I'm glad you wrote this because I've sitting here thinking "Does everyone's toddler eat everything but mine??" :oops:

• Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    By 18 months B was eating everything we were, just in smaller pieces. As a matter of fact, I think she was eating like this before she was even a year. She was feeding herself the same time as well.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    I didn't cook special for my kids when they were toddlers. I just gave them whatever we ate, spices and all, just cut up really small. Toddlers are notorious for somehow surviving on a weekly diet of 3 peas and a grain of rice, so I never really even monitored how much they ate. As long as they sat nicely and attempted to put something in their mouth 3 times a day, I was happy. I rarely gave snacks to them...maybe a couple of crackers if they were having trouble waiting for dinnertime. I think too many snacks interfere with toddler eating, because they would much rather fill up between meals than take the time out of their busy lives to sit and eat with the family.
    DarkAngel wrote:
    Thanks, ladies! A lot of what was listed are foods that he has already vetoed (at my house but not at the sitter's.) I have few new ideas though so wish me luck!.

I'm glad you wrote this because I've sitting here thinking "Does everyone's toddler eat everything but mine??" :oops:

Not at all. I forgot to add that, like you and Karan, applesauce and yogurt are our standard "filler" foods too. I swear our boys are separated brothers. They are too much alike.

• marielle448marielle448 Registered Users Posts: 1,823
    straight people food (LOL that made me laugh) with spices and seasonings which in fact they prefer. Don't worry, but toddlers go through so many food jags that throw parents for a loop. Just let his appetite be his guide but be sure to keep offering healthy choices.

Around here Ryan has been eating straight off my plate but for the last month I've been serving him his own bowl which I watch like a hawk since it's regular ceramic wear and he's prone to flinging if I don't catch the "all done" the first time around. The kid loves fruit so he gets large hunks of banana or chunked up strawberries for breakfast quite often. He also likes the Kashi version of shredded wheat which is a bit easier to munch on that the traditional Post. I usually give it to him dry.

For lunch we eat leftovers from the night before and for dinner he really loves his rice and beans (good 1/2 dominican that he is LOL) but also likes meat, most veggies and all my wierd food tastes. If his teeth are bothering I like to give him either frozen corn niblets or frozen peas (blueberries if I have them too) to munch on and they help soothe the pain.

I'm taking advantage that he really is open to different tastes now becaues I've noticed with Ian and his comtemporaries that while they still have a varied palate the older toddlers go through some weird texture averion around age 3. I just tell him that what he doesn't like HE is responsible for removing.

eta: just remembered that both boys like to munch on whole wheat pretzel rods which they dip in hummus (sometimes Ryan ends up dipping his finger mostly and licking it off). He hasn't been crazy about raw veggies other than the frozen stuff for teeth and that doesn't surprise me. Ian threw me for a curveball since for his 2nd year he wouldn't touch a piece of fresh fruit. I was so worried and I'd buy the Just Tomatoes brand bananas because it was the only thing he ate that resembled fruit, then he moved onto raisins and only would eat those, next prunes (oh yea!) and finally the kid loves his fruit now.

Tonight we were at a fish fry and Ryan was just going to town on the fried cod and fries. Loved it all. Last night I had pizza with onions and a whole host of toppings which he loved as well. I just tend to cut the stuff smaller for him.
  • kimberly jkimberly j Registered Users Posts: 153
    My daughter is just about 17 months and is unpredictable in what she'll eat. She is still not too keen on eating meat (I believe its the texture that throws her off). She loves rice and vegetables, so we concentrate on giving her those. I squeeze in some chicken (breaded) and she'll eat that every once in a while. If she's in a picky mood and all else fails, we resort to the Cheerios or chunks of fruit.

I am in somewhat of the same boat as she stays with my aunt and 6 year old cousin during the day and will eat great. She sees my 6 year old cousin eating and wants to mimic her. When I get her home its sometimes different story!

As marielle said, toddlers go through so many ever-changing phases with food, so I just try to make sure she's eating, #1, and what I have available is a healthy variety.
  • Oregano  (formerly babywavy)Oregano (formerly babywavy) Registered Users Posts: 5,297 Curl Neophyte
    Toddlers go through such weird phases w/ food. B went through several months where I don't think she ate anything but yogurt. They all do that kind of stuff, and they all survive. :lol: Then around 2 years I swear the kid stopped eating all together. I didn't feel bad about giving her Nesquick in her milk all the time b/c it was probably the only vitamins she was getting.
    ~ the artist formerly known as babywavy ~

Please excuse any typos. For the time being, we are blaming it on my computer.
    Thank you for offering some suggestions.

Our eating is stalled for a bit. He has some sort of stomach bug that involves lots of puking but no other symptoms.

Marielle, Xander -loves- rice and beans. I don't know how I forgot that. He's a good little mexican boy.

• itsjustmeghanitsjustmeghan Registered Users Posts: 652
    i feel you on that stomach flu. owen got one a few weeks ago and honestly he went from a toddler who eats everything to a toddler who won't eat! he used to LOVE blueberries, but after puking those, he won't touch them. so here's what we eat at home...

please note, owen eats EVERYTHING at daycare i think because he sees all the other kids eating it. at home, it's not the same. i try to change around where he eats, because sometimes that novelty is a big part of if he eats or not. i move his chair to another side of the table. some nights he eats right off the table, other nights he eats off his tray, that kinda stuff. and the order i present food in is huge. i give him his least favorite first, because if he sees his beloved cheese stick waiting in the winds, he won't touch anything else!

breakfast: owen doesn't do eggs at home, so on weekends i usually do waffles with applesauce or today i did banana slice pancakes where i made up the wholewheat pancake mix, dipped banana slices in there, and cooked them up. he gobbled it all down pretty fast. i was thinking next weekend i'd peel/core/slice apples into rings (i have a handcrank thing that does all of this for me), cook them in the microwave for a little bit to help soften them, and then dip and cook. i bet he'll eat those!

lunch/dinner: we usually eat leftovers for lunch, so dinners are where i plan. he's been eating hotdogs for me lately, so i get the turkey dogs from trader joes. no hormones, nitrites, nitrates, antibiotics, etc. so i feel better about him eating those. he likes them with ketchup and mustard. he will eat pieces of our meat like our chicken/burgers/steak etc. sometimes he'll eat pasta, so i got him some of the mini cheese ravioli today. he ate those. lots of the time i try to get him to eat veggies. lately i've been mushing them ontop of something else he's willing to eat. so last night he had peas mashed ontop of his hotdog. he ate it! hahaha. we usually end the meal with fruit. one day he'll eat strawberries the next he won't. same with bananas. he likes biting apple pieces right now. and i got him eating fresh pineapple and cantalope today. i'm sure it'll change tomorrow!

i've been reading up on toddler eating habbits because i was worried, and they said you have to look at the entire day or the entire week to see if they've eaten all the food groups and colors they should be. he won't do baby food at all anymore, and that's where we used to get his veggies in....so it's more a challenge, but now at least i won't feel like the worlds worst mom because he won't eat broccoli
    3A Once again on the quest for BSL healthy curly hair....
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    I'm so glad you all will be the experts when I get to this phase!!! :D
    itsjustmeghan, it is amazing how much other kids influence ours. Xander eats everything at his sitter's house because the big kids do it. He's already a little lemming. :lol:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file