Amneris: A musical pregnancy question for you.

fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
I know you mentioned you're doing an opera this spring. I'm playing in the pit for a show this week (Bernstein, On the Town) and am struggling with my energy and having to pee every hour or so. The first half of the show is an hour and forty-five minutes!

I'm considering warning the conductor and the player next to me that I may have to run to pee during one of the long dialog sequences. I can get in and out of the pit quickly enough, but I worry about making too much noise. Last night, I held it and was really uncomfortable.

I'm also cutting back at my job at the library this week by working the morning rehearsal and then having students cover in the afternoon so I can go home to sleep a bit. These late nights and early mornings are hard!

How are you holding up with costumes and everything? How long is your show? Are you working during the day too?
Hair type: 3A/B
I lurk, therefore, I am.
My Blog

Comments

• fuzzbucketfuzzbucket Registered Users Posts: 996 Curl Connoisseur
    Update: I made it through act one without having to pee! Hurrah! However, I'm so tired that I could barely make it out of the theater afterwards.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • medussamedussa Registered Users Posts: 12,993
    Glad you made it through. We're expecting around the same time and I'm also feeling that urge to go every 10 minutes. :shock: I do a 30 minute swimming Mommy and Me with my daughter and I swear, even if I go before getting in the pool, I have to go again within 10 minutes. Luckily she's being moved to the 3 year-old group (no mommy needed).
  • AmnerisAmneris Registered Users Posts: 15,117
    fuzzbucket wrote:
    I know you mentioned you're doing an opera this spring. I'm playing in the pit for a show this week (Bernstein, On the Town) and am struggling with my energy and having to pee every hour or so. The first half of the show is an hour and forty-five minutes!

I'm considering warning the conductor and the player next to me that I may have to run to pee during one of the long dialog sequences. I can get in and out of the pit quickly enough, but I worry about making too much noise. Last night, I held it and was really uncomfortable.

I'm also cutting back at my job at the library this week by working the morning rehearsal and then having students cover in the afternoon so I can go home to sleep a bit. These late nights and early mornings are hard!

How are you holding up with costumes and everything? How long is your show? Are you working during the day too?

Yes, I am doing an opera that actually opens tomorrow, so this was tech week and it was crazy.

Yes, I am working during the day, and I am used to just concentrating on the performing, so that in itself I find draining and it's definitely more difficult to focus and maintain energy, pregnant or not. Luckily, I work for a theatre company affiliated with the opera company I'm singing with so my boss is understanding and said if I need to come in an hour or two later or leave a little earlier once in a while during the show, it's fine with him. And I just take my rest when I can get it - on the weekends (cleared the social calendar!), take naps at work and so on. The hard part is after a rehearsal, I'm still high and not ready to go to bed but I know I need to, because I don't get home till close to 11:30 and I have to get up at 7:00 to work out and go to work. I find that soaking in the bath for 15 minutes or so helps me relax enough to get to sleep before midnight, and the morning workout gives me energy. 7 hours of sleep is not really ideal, but I try to grab an hour or two later during the day when I can, or take my boss up on his offer and sleep in for another hour or two once or twice a week. I also find that how and when I eat makes a huge difference to my energy, and hydrating properly of course.

The show is 3 hours, but I'm not in Act I and my role isn't huge, and there are intermissions between every act, and I'm not necessarily on stage all the time, so it's not nearly as bad as being in the pit with the orchestra! So going to the bathroom isn't really a problem. I actually don't have huge issues with that yet, (I did earlier in the 2nd tri when my retroverted uterus turned but right now I am OK) unless the baby moves on my bladder and once in a while I'll feel like I have to go during a scene, but I know that when I do go there is barely anything, so I don't really worry about it.

Costume-wise, it's great! Both my costumes are long, flowing empire waist dresses and you can't tell I'm pregnant in them at all! They actually took them out too much for me and I have to get them taken back in! And there is lots of room for the belly and breasts, so I feel comfortable, and I'm wearing ballet flats instead of character shoes because they're more comfortable for my feet, legs and back.

I actually really like doing the show with baby! I have not had any issues with the directors, stage management or my cast mates - they've all been really understanding and are actually spoiling me rotten! They have made sure all my staging is safe and comfortable, they tell me to go put my feet up and rest when I'm not needed, and they are all really excited about the baby and a couple of people even bought gifts for the baby! I also have gotten some awesome massages! I love it and can't wait to tell baby about his operatic experiences. The only problem is that when the music gets loud, the baby gets excited and I can't get distracted and excited about the baby movements and go out of character!

In terms of how I feel, I don't have any breath issues yet (which did worry me) and not too much back pain or anything, and I don't think I've ever had round ligament pain or Braxton-Hicks, so I'm very lucky. Just some nausea and sickness once in a while which is now controllable most of the time, and getting tired. No dizziness or fainting or anything. I actually thought it could be much worse. One of my cast mates sang while pregnant (she did a major role out of town a month before her due date with her second child!) and she said she didn't have too many issues either, and she's been really supportive. Plus it's not a very active show -no dancing, running, fighting etc. for me. I don't think I would have chosen to do it if it was.

I think it is probably easier for me than for you because I have a team of people looking out for me - equity deputy, stage manager, assistant stage managers, production manager for the company, director, assistant director, conductor. I guess you just have the conductor and your union rep. I think it's important to talk to them about your situation though - I did that before we went into rehearsals so there were no surprises for anyone. Yes, I would tell them you're pregnant (they can tell anyway!) and you might need to leave once in a while. Maybe they will seat you on the outside of your section to make it easier, or accomodate you somehow. I would let your stand partner and section leader know, too.

It sounds like you're doing the right thing - cutting down hours at work where you can and resting. I would also make sure you're eating well and having small meals often, hydrating, and getting exercise and dressing comfortably. And think of how great it's going to be when Harry is born and you can soothe him by playing this music he heard in utero!

Good luck - sorry it's long! Feel free to ask any other questions you want to.
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Medussa: I joke with hubby that actually getting to go pee only relieves the feeling while I'm peeing. I stand up, and it's back!

Amneris: Sounds like you're doing well too! It's interesting to hear the experiences from other parts of the performance world.

I've warned the players around me and the conductor that I may have to run during the longer scenes. They all said not to worry - even if it's during a big number. Just go! :D It's a small group (single strings and winds with small brass) so I have easy access to the exit. My husband is sitting right next to me (he plays bass) so he is watching out for me too. This may be our last gig together for a long while, which is bittersweet.

That is great about the costumes! Sounds like fun. Most of my concert black is comfortable, but I'm finding I have to wear layers, since I get warm pretty fast. It is getting interesting trying to find a comfortable spot for my cello, though. I am constantly readjusting my seat cushion and endpin.

I know what you mean about being "high" after rehearsals and such. I have to take 30-45 minutes to wind down, which means I'm getting to bed around 12 and then getting up between 6 & 7 for work.

Hubby and I are convinced that baby Harry is going to come right out and sing "New York, New York! A hell of a town!" because the brass is so loud. He kicks while I'm playing, but I don't know if that is because he likes it or because he wants me to stop.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • inheritedcurlsinheritedcurls Registered Users Posts: 2,954 Curl Connoisseur
    Just wanted to say that both of your babies should sleep through any noise once they are here. :D

I wish DH and I were noiser people when I was pregnant...Chas use to wake at every little noise.
    Just wanted to say that both of your babies should sleep through any noise once they are here. :D

I wish DH and I were noiser people when I was pregnant...Chas use to wake at every little noise.

I am hoping music will be soothing to the baby so I will be able to practise while baby sleeps, and also know how to soothe baby!
    Get used to me. Black, confident, cocky; my name, not yours; my religion, not yours; my goals, my own; get used to me. -Muhammad Ali

.png

534Pm5.png

Amneris wrote:

I am hoping music will be soothing to the baby so I will be able to practise while baby sleeps, and also know how to soothe baby!

Ditto this! I hope he finds it comforting. I know some babies sleep better with noise, vacums, white noise, etc. Why not live music? :D
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog
  • curly_keltiecurly_keltie Registered Users Posts: 791
    Amneris wrote:

I bet you will be amazing at soothing your baby with your voice.

Evan is soothed by mine and my SO's singing voices...and we're horrible. It's a good thing Evan hasn't figured it out yet.
    Long, blonde, 3a/mostly b hair.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
    Amneris wrote:

I bet you will be amazing at soothing your baby with your voice.

Evan is soothed by mine and my SO's singing voices...and we're horrible. It's a good thing Evan hasn't figured it out yet.

I think singing and music are amazing for all babies, especially when coming from their parents. I still remember mine singing to me.

What kind of songs does Evan like?

.png

534Pm5.png

Evan likes almost any music. I think it is mostly our voices that calms him down. He also really likes this Bach CD that I play. He seems to light up when I turn it on.

We sometimes sing Cheek to Cheek by Sinatra. It starts out "Heaven I'm in Heaven" and we just change the lyrics to "Evan, I'm in Heaven"

Silly...I know!

My mom sings him this Jewish Folk Song - Dona Dona. I don't know where she learned it - we're not even Jewish.

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • PixieCurlPixieCurl Registered Users Posts: 5,656
    We sometimes sing Cheek to Cheek by Sinatra. It starts out "Heaven I'm in Heaven" and we just change the lyrics to "Evan, I'm in Heaven"

Silly...I know!

That is SO SWEET!!!!
    Faith, 3Aish redhead
    Mama to two wild superheroes and a curly-headed baby boy :love5:
    I should also add that Evan likes the 'Woo-Ooo, Yee Ooo' part from Gwen Stefani's 'Sweet Escape'

78Da.jpg78Dam6.png
  • cosmicflycosmicfly Registered Users Posts: 1,814
    PixieCurl wrote:

Silly...I know!

That is SO SWEET!!!!

Not silly at all! I always change lyrics to suit my kids' names! Maya's at the age now when she giggles and says "no, Mama", and corrects me. Max just gets embarassed at this point (he's 6).
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur

OH...I used to sing that exact same version of that song for my son Evan when he was a baby. He's 15 now...he doesn't seem to like it anymore. LOL

For my daughter, Sierra, we changed the lyrics of Maria (West Side Story) to her name.
  • RedCatWavesRedCatWaves Registered Users Posts: 31,259 Curl Connoisseur
    Ditto this! I hope he finds it comforting. I know some babies sleep better with noise, vacums, white noise, etc. Why not live music?

A music sleep tip for new parents:

Get a good quality music box before the baby is born (not one of those tinny boxes they put in stufed animals, but a real music box. Music boxes worked better than song recordings...something about the chime sound is soothing I think. Get something that will play for 10-ish minutes or so...and that will be portable too so you can take it with you when traveling or to a different room or wherever. From the very first day of life, every time you lay the baby down to sleep, turn on the music (preferably awake so they get used to going to sleep from an awake state, but even if they are already asleep, put on the music anyway). After a while, they become conditioned to going to sleep whenever "their" music is playing. It really helps an older baby (who'd rather stand in the crib or play) to go to sleep...they hear their music and just lay down and sleep.

I was able to travel anywhere with my babies and have them sleep well, because they were used to their music. I also used a porta-crib for a nap for them once a day, so whenever we traveled, they had their familiar porta-crib and familiar music box and they were set.
    Ditto this! I hope he finds it comforting. I know some babies sleep better with noise, vacums, white noise, etc. Why not live music?

A music sleep tip for new parents:

Get a good quality music box before the baby is born (not one of those tinny boxes they put in stufed animals, but a real music box. Music boxes worked better than song recordings...something about the chime sound is soothing I think. Get something that will play for 10-ish minutes or so...and that will be portable too so you can take it with you when traveling or to a different room or wherever. From the very first day of life, every time you lay the baby down to sleep, turn on the music (preferably awake so they get used to going to sleep from an awake state, but even if they are already asleep, put on the music anyway). After a while, they become conditioned to going to sleep whenever "their" music is playing. It really helps an older baby (who'd rather stand in the crib or play) to go to sleep...they hear their music and just lay down and sleep.

I was able to travel anywhere with my babies and have them sleep well, because they were used to their music. I also used a porta-crib for a nap for them once a day, so whenever we traveled, they had their familiar porta-crib and familiar music box and they were set.

That is interesting. Like a Pavlovian response! I know that my nephew sleeps better with familiar music. If you put on something "new" he wants to stay awake and listen.
    I lurk, therefore, I am.
    My Blog

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file