CurlTalk

Possible Book Board?

NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
We've discussed having a "book club" to discuss The Iliad. Is it something you'd be interested in having a separate board for, if Gretchen and Michelle are willing to have one? Would you participate?
The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
-Speckla

But at least the pews never attend yoga!
Failed to load the poll.
Failed to load the poll.

Comments

• JessicurlJessicurl Posts: 401Registered Users
    Absofriggin'lootley. I've always wanted to be in a book club and always bemoan how I have no good books to read at bedtime. Count. Me. In.
    If you're not going to make your dreams epic, why bother to dream anything at all? -Scott Miller
  • PartyHairPartyHair Posts: 7,713Registered Users
    I'd join, but not to discuss the Iliad. I've often thought that it would be very easy to set up an online book club. We could discuss one book per month with the discussion starting on a given date.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Rock on with your bad self.

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

Be excellent to each other. ~ Abraham Lincoln

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • NetGNetG Posts: 8,116Registered Users
    PartyHair wrote:
    I'd join, but not to discuss the Iliad. I've often thought that it would be very easy to set up an online book club. We could discuss one book per month with the discussion starting on a given date.

I agree!

I would participate with Iliad, but we could do different books each month. Maybe more than one so we can fit different tastes, too.
    The pews never miss a sermon but that doesn't get them one step closer to Heaven.
    -Speckla

NetG wrote:
    PartyHair wrote:

I agree!

I would participate with Iliad, but we could do different books each month. Maybe more than one so we can fit different tastes, too.

Exactly! We choose all our books in September (in my 3D book club) which helps so much - it saves a lot of time throughout the year. It also helps you plan ahead as far as scheduling books (yes, I read a lot). Maybe we could implement something like that...an online discussion of "what to read". It also helps (the choosing all the books at once thing) to get a bigger range in the type of books selected. So far in my book club I've read non-fiction, fiction, historical fiction, science fiction, a couple of classics, southern authors, Hispanic authors, African American authors - pretty much the gamut.
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
  • MagpieMagpie Posts: 39Registered Users
    I would definitely participate! I'd have to wait until I got back to the U.S. (only 3 more weeks!!) so that I could have access to the book.

I've always wanted to join a book club and just yesterday I signed up for an online book course/discussion on barnesandnoble.com. I'm really looking forward to it.
  • michellermicheller Posts: 470Registered Users
    This is a great idea!! Count me in, I would love to participate.
  • papayahedpapayahed Posts: 1,282Registered Users
    Count me in, I'd join also!!!! :dance:dance.gif On another online book club they nominate books from the 1st - 15 th, then from the 15th to the end of the month they vote and the winner is the book they read for the following month.
    So, Gretchen and Michelle-would it be possible to have a separate board for this?
    -Speckla

I definitely like the idea of nominating books, etc. I think we have a diverse group on this board, and would love to see the recommendations people make!
    -Speckla

NetG wrote:
    So, Gretchen and Michelle-would it be possible to have a separate board for this?

I think you'd get a quicker response if you PMed one or both of them. :) (Unless one of 'em is browsing as we speak!)
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
    I PMed pointing them toward this thread so I don't have to relay what they say.

I have no idea the size of the storage for board formatting, etc., and if it would cause problems for them to do so or anything....
    -Speckla

• EnafaeEnafae Posts: 24Registered Users
    I would join a book club like this. I like to read and this would help me make better choices. I have started and not finished so many badly written books. Waste of time and money.
    3a/b redheaded Irish gal!
    CG since October 10, 2002
    formerly arobxinstructr
  • stephenestephene Posts: 20Registered Users
    We had one on the old NC board...didn't we?? I think CP and some others used to participate...I wonder why it was lost?
    Love creates an "us" without destroying the "me"

t-62758267.jpg
  • curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    i'd join. reading is fun, but its usually even more fun when you're reading together/along with someone else! and i definitely love discussions... :)

good idea, NetG!

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
    curlyara wrote:
    i'd join. reading is fun, but its usually even more fun when you're reading together/along with someone else! and i definitely love discussions... :)

good idea, NetG!

It came up in the Troy thread....I don't think it was originally my idea though. Now I'm going to have to go back and figure out who deserves the credit!

Edit:

It was UCurlGirl. I just wanted to make sure before I said it. It was definitely an excellent idea on her part!
    -Speckla

• curlyarcacurlyarca Posts: 8,449Registered Users
    NetG wrote:
    curlyara wrote:

good idea, NetG!

It came up in the Troy thread....I don't think it was originally my idea though. Now I'm going to have to go back and figure out who deserves the credit!

Edit:

It was UCurlGirl. I just wanted to make sure before I said it. It was definitely an excellent idea on her part!

awesome. :)

"In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer."

4a, mbl, low porosity, normal thickness, fine hair.
  • mitsimitsimitsimitsi Posts: 6Registered Users
    I voted yes. :D
  • shorty448shorty448 Posts: 52Registered Users
    That would be fun! I love reading and it would be great to be able to discuss what I read with some people. :)
    With your feet in the air and your head on the ground
    Try this trick and spin it, yeah
    Your head will collapse
    If there's nothing in it
  • GretchenGretchen Administrator Posts: 8,424Administrators, Moderators Administrator
    Sorry I missed this thread, gals, and thanks NetG for the heads' up.

Anyway, have a look at your new forum! :D

If someone wants to create a post each month or whatever listing the book of the month or upcoming books of the month, I can make the post "sticky" so it stays at the top of the list. Just shoot me an email.

Great idea, everyone! I hope to have time to start reading again soon. I just bought a new book and would like to get into it.

Gretchen
    NaturallyCurly.com co-founder
    3A

You are beautiful!
  • michellermicheller Posts: 470Registered Users
    Thank you so much! This should be fun!
    Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I started an Iliad thread!
    -Speckla

NetG wrote:
    Thankyouthankyouthankyouthankyou!

I started an Iliad thread!

Very.Cool. Thanks Gretchen!

Hey, NetG, if you haven't done it yet (I haven't been there yet), start a thread for suggestions for next month's discussion. In fact...oh, let me go over there. I have a suggestion for how to manage this and keep everyone on the same page (so to speak!).
    *~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*