Natural mothering, specifically homemade baby wipes.

deezee02deezee02 Posts: 1,509Registered Users
I really want my family to live a natural lifestyle. Dh and I are slowly become more andmore unhealthy, and i want to change that ASAP. I figured me need to start now, before Steven gets into the habit of processed everything we can get. Eventually i would like to start making all our baby products, but i have some questions.

I want to start by making some baby wipes to keep to clean up Steven after he eats. I found a great site, but i am worried about the bacteria that might grow in there. Did/do any of you have any experience making your own wipes??

Also, when making other baby products, like lotions, bug sprays and baby washes, how do you deal with the bacteria factor????

thanks!
58eCm4.png
SCxkm4.png

Come swag with me!

Comments

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just used a wet cloth to wipe up Karan after eating. I had a big stack in the kitchen and would just use one and toss it into the laundry after meals. I did laundry every 2-3 days and they just got washed with the rest of his stuff. I also used terry cloth bibs (we made the ones he used when he was very small and they I bought some later on). I have about 10 of them, and just wash then with the laundry.

I also had a stack of washcloths to clean him up during a diaper change (I only used disposable for really messy changes). I would just dampen it in water before using it.

I think that making lotions and what not is going to be time consuming and I would also worry about the sterility of the products if you are going to keep them for long (outside of the fridge). We use storebought yogurt as a pre-bath moisturizer to fight eczema and use Dove soap.

• mad scientistmad scientist Posts: 3,530Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I can't remember how old S is? Is he eating solids?

www.wholesomebabyfood.com and www.wholesometoddlerfood.com are excellent resources for making and storing your own baby food.

DS has never had jarred food or pre-packaged food, with the exception of applesauce (because I hate peeling apples). But I got over that and now I make his applesauce also. Its not hard to do at all, it just takes some planning, a blender and some icecube trays. Now that he's a toddler, I batch cook and freeze a lot of food and then its just as easy as opening a jar or a package. And we all eat healthier when I'm thinking about our food as his food as well.

I'm really interested in natural living as well, so if I think of any thing else, I'll post it here. Good for you for thinking about your DS and your family in this way!

• marielle448marielle448 Posts: 1,823Registered Users
    we're not super NFL but have some friends that have rubbed off on us in a good way. I use cloth diapers so the jump to cloth wipes wasn't a big deal. I boil a gallon of water and let it cool. Then I pour it into rubbermaid resealable juice jug and add 20 drops TTO then 20 drops GSE. I shake and keep underneath the changing table. I have a wipes warmer (the dex one, best one out there). When I need to refill the wipes I grab a wad of cloth wipes (mine are sherpa one side, then flannel on the other) literally STUFF a huge wad of wipes in the warmer and add about 2 1/2 cups of the wipes solution. In about ten minutes they're warm and the solution keeps them fresh for several days (although we go through them faster than that with two).

The wipes are great for diaper changes, morning fresh ups, cleaning greasy hands after dinner. I'm hoping to make a bunch of cloth napkins soon too as my older toddler is a napking hog and will use a fresh one for every single wipe. :shock: I keep a container of microfiber towels in the kitchen that I use instead of paper towels and the dirties go in an open wastebasket that's right in the laundry room. When the wastebasket gets full it all gets laundered. I just bought a different colored stack to start using in the bathroom (we used to have a cleaning person but now bought a steam cleaner to do it ourselves).

As far as cleaning, vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and baking soda are about all you'll need. I keep a bottle of hydrogen peroxide (I added a spray trigger to the dark hyd. perox. bottle) and another spray bottle of straight vinegar in the kitchen. A spray of each disinfects as well as bleach but less harmful. The vinegar is pretty great on its own for mirros, general purpose cleaning and windows. I like Method or TJ's dishwashing liquid and use Charlie's Soap for washing diapers.

As far as lotions I haven't bothered to make my own but there are certain things I definitely like that are a bit more natural. I've recently discovered the organic coconut oil for my hair and found it works fabulously on my eczema prone toddler's skin. I use avalon organics shampoo on my own hair and the lavender formula for the kiddos during bath time.

Regarding food, you're on the right track. Modelling is the most important thing and my 3 1/2 year old is definitely aware of what daddy likes and doesn't like so he can say the same. I always fed the kids straight off my plate when they first started solids and they'd get tastes of pretty much a variety of things and it was an incentive to keep my own diet a bit more healthful. Hubby and I have given up sodas and we never really drank juice so it's water around here for everyone with organic milk to use in cooking and the incidental bowl of cereal.

I've gotten DH on the bandwagon to do what I've been doing the last couple of years in reading labels and avoiding HFCS, trans fats and some other not so great things. That means many things we make at home (whole wheat bread, any sweet tooth cravings, yogurt because it's fun and yummy). I keep lots of fresh fruit washed and ready to go on a pretty basket in the kichen so the toddler can grab a piece of fruit and the younger one can sign for it.

Sorry for the novel but these are just the bit of changes that having kids has prompted us to make and I'm really happy about it.
  • j'adorej'adore Posts: 1,966Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    I just used a wet cloth to wipe up Karan after eating. I had a big stack in the kitchen and would just use one and toss it into the laundry after meals. I did laundry every 2-3 days and they just got washed with the rest of his stuff. I also used terry cloth bibs (we made the ones he used when he was very small and they I bought some later on). I have about 10 of them, and just wash then with the laundry.

I also had a stack of washcloths to clean him up during a diaper change (I only used disposable for really messy changes). I would just dampen it in water before using it.

That's what I do, too. I bought two stacks of the thin, cheapo washcloths and use those for diaper changes. I buy wipes to use when we are out--a pack of those will last us for two or three months!
    "Don't play me...I'm over 30, and I don't smoke weed"
    -Prince

catcatadr20050914_-8_Marley+is.png
  • rainshowerrainshower Posts: 4,420Registered Users
    my mother turned me on to this:

fill a small spray bottle (that mists) with water, a few squirts of sweet almond oil, a tiny squirt of liquid castile soap (aloe baby formula), and a drop or two of tea tree oil.

she'd use the diaper to wipe up most of the visible bm, fold it up, and toss it to be disposed of. then she'd spray their bottoms and creases with the cleaning solution. the oil in it kept their skin conditioned to prevent diaper rashes. she'd wipe the spray with a clean baby bathcloth (we had a stash of these), then toss the cloth into a tote to be laundered.

the tea tree wasn't enough to smell, but enough to prevent bacteria growth in the bottle.

this worked like a charm, was cheap, and chemical-free, and environmentally friendly. :wink:
    "Dogs stink too, but I like dog stink." ~ rileyb

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file