CurlTalk

Coconut oil overload!!!

tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
Just wanted to share with you guys my coconut oil disaster which went from bad to good--

Last night I water washed and then used Naani's naturals conditioner(smells delish!) for the first time. I then attempted to pour a bit of coconut oil on my hair but the tub opened up and out spilled about 2 cups of coconut oil onto my hair!! It felt OK (I have extremely dry hair) so I did my usual rinse of only half of my condish out.

I plopped and slept with my hair in a pineapple. The next day I had the flattest, greasy-looking, stringy curls--EEK!

I ended up putting it up in a ponytail just to get through work. As soon as I got home, I quickly COwashed twice with VO5 Vanilla Mint Clarifying condish and then added a little Naani's naturals conditioner again, scrunched some [buylink=http://www.curlmart.com/Jessicurl-Confident-Coils-Styling-Solution-p-116.html?utm_source=naturallycurly.com&utm_medium=text-link&utm_content=curltalk-post-text&utm_campaign=jessicurl-confident-coils-styling-solution]Jessicurl CCSS[/buylink], plopped, air dried.
This time, my hair came out fabulous!! My curls are very soft, shiny, defined and full of body!!

Go figure!!

My advice to all regarding coconut oil: use sparingly!!! :oops: :lol:
3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!

Comments

• tinicurlydtinicurlyd Posts: 1,053Registered Users
    Even tho alot was accidently put in your hair . looks like by u sleeping with it in your hair and letting it sit during the day while u were at work then washing it out later on worked wonders on your curls! Yay! :D ..your lucky tho cuz i heard some curlies have a hard time getting that out or any kind of oil and can reak havoc on their curls too. i always wanted to try some kinda oil/condish DT and leave it in at night but im afraid id be the ones that have nasty curls afterwards or a greasy head. the only oil i have used is Jojoba in my condish/rinsed out .
    Modified CG-Use Low Poo
    Use Suaves & VO5 Condish For CG-Honey+ Condish=My curls are loving it!
    *Suave gels ( love crunchy gels )*My HGs-Re:coil, Jessicurls , Boots , Loreal Spiral Curl Mousse, Tigi Amp*

*~Show Your True Beauty Cuz Curls Rock!~*
  • meriellynmeriellyn Posts: 1,135Registered Users
    Hehe, accidental deep oil treatment. :)
    The best way for me to moisturize my hair with oils is to put some from my ears down and braid it then leave it in overnight and a good chunk of the next day. By then my hair has had time to totally absorb the oils and there's no greasy-ness to deal with.
    As far as coconut oil goes, it's super easy for me to use too much of it and I definitely can't use it as a regular leave in b/c my hair is too easily weighed down.
    2/f/i, waist length w/ long layers

/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fpublic.fotki.com%2Fthekittenavenger" class="Popup
    pwd: hair

~a wave in a sea of curls ;)
  • pitgirlpitgirl Posts: 162Registered Users
    I'm pleased it turned out ok in the end, many times I have anticipated fantastic results and ended up with gross hair. :roll:
    I was planning to pick some up today, the solid stuff. But I'm slightly hesitant.
    I'm a sulphater.
    So if I wash my hair and then put some in overnight, I would presume I should suplhate wash it again in the morning to get it all out :?:
    But would this undo the whole DT :?:

Or should I just rinse and scrub out the leftovers with water or conditioner??
    3a Redhead
    Umberto Giannini & Curls Rock Amp
    Fotki pw: curls

.png

.png
  • tooj68tooj68 Posts: 471Registered Users
    I don't think it would undo the DT. Just remember to be careful and use the oil sparingly--eek!!
    3B, with oodles and oodles of curly hair! :toothy7:
    Summer Faves: Devacare NoPoo & OneC, CF High Humidity Gel.
    2nd day hair: Deva Set Me Up pomade & Mr. Right
    DT: Devacurl Heaven in Hair
    Been CG since 2005 and never looked back!
  • redcelticcurlsredcelticcurls Posts: 17,502Registered Users
    I guess I'm odd on this. I use just under 1/4 cup and comb it all through to sleep in. Love the stuff, but I use a lot. It comes right out with a Co wash for me.
    Kiva! Microfinance works.

Med/Coarse, porous curly.