Hello from a Student Researcher!

kaylagirl1633kaylagirl1633 Posts: 3Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Hi, everyone! My name is Michaela, and I recently joined NaturallyCurly. After years of visiting the site for tips and advice on caring for my hair, I finally decided to create an account as a way to get more acquainted with other naturalistas worldwide. Here are the results from my texture type quiz:
  • Curl pattern: coily
  • Curl type: 4B
  • Porosity: Low
  • Density: Medium
  • Width: Fine
I am also an undergraduate student researcher majoring in anthropology. I have chosen to study the natural hair community in hopes of improving my understanding of race relations in the community/natural hair movement. From the first time I accessed the NaturallyCurly website some years ago to now, I've seen a variety of women showcased on the site, not just black women/women of the African diaspora. It raises questions of how the natural hair movement has changed in terms of audience, intent, etc. since it took off prior to the 2000s. Anyway, as a researcher, I will never solicit personal information from any NaturallyCurly users. I may ask for permission to quote users' comments within the forums, a request any and all users may decline. The usernames of community members who I quote in my ethnography (final product of research) are subject to replacement with pseudonyms if the usernames are revelatory of personal identities. I aim to protect the identities of all users on the NaturallyCurly website. I look forward to starting my project and learning more about natural hair!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file