How to manage my curls

Curly NinjaCurly Ninja Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Since cutting my hair, I've been trying my best to better curls. My hair in the morning looks absolutely thrashed, so I must comb every morning. I've been told to only comb curly hair when it's wet or damp so that what I've been trying to do. And yeah has become thicker and I do have less split ends. 

So I've been fully wetting my hair, then combing and I've been losing around 20 strands ( those I could count). I never detangled, since I thought my hair was too short. So today morning I tried detangling my damp like hair ( since I think it'd be harder to detangle wet hair) and then combing. And I lost like 40-50 stands at the top of my scalp. Around the same amount I used to lost when my hair was damaged. I'm scared I may damage my hair again if I keep going this route, however I hate combing my hair when it's wet. Since my hair hates me and curls backwards around the sides of my forehead, making it look like i'm balding. 

What way should I comb my curly hair a day.  

- additional question: I comb twice a day, once in the morning and once at night. I do this because I don't like seeing additional breakage because I haven't combed.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I think the rule is to only comb when your hair is wet AND has conditioner in it.  I would not comb damp hair, not only would it be harder to get the tangles out, it's more delicate and easier to break.  Conditioner provides plenty of slip so the tangles come out easily.

I don't know how you can comb and not detangle - isn't that what combing is for?
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Curly NinjaCurly Ninja Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Can I condition everyday ? I already cowash. So I am confused.

Plus I mean I don't try to detangle. I just a put comb in my hair and brush.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, you can condition every day.  Cowashing - even though you might use the same product - is different.  When you cowash, you should be scrubbing your scalp.  You don't drag the cowash down the hair strand, you're just keeping it at your scalp and roots.  If you condition, you concentrate the product on the hair strands.  If your hair is short enough, there may not be much of a difference.  Cowash should be rinsed completely out of the hair so you're getting all the dirt and oils and gunk out.  Conditioner can be lightly rinsed, or not rinsed at all.  Generally when a conditioner is used as a cowash, something cheap and not very moisturizing is used.  Then a thicker, richer conditioner should be used to moisturize the hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file