I think naturallycurly.com may have had a data leak.

no good nickname ideano good nickname idea Posts: 1Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Let's try this again ... (technical difficulties last time I tried to post)...

Friends,

I think naturallycurly.com may have had a data leak.

I was looking in my spam folder for a webinar I just signed up for and noticed spammers' e-mails to my "naturallycurly @ mycustomsubdomain . mydomain . com" e-mail address saying, "NaturallyCurly.com has been hacked; change your password ASAP" starting March 27th (about 2, 2.5 weeks ago).

I use this pattern of e-mail addresses specifically to detect the source of my e-mail addresses getting out, so I feel quite confident that NaturallyCurly.com itself suffered an issue (it's not like they're an OAuth provider to some other service I use).

(Okay, well, that's funny that I was trying to post it, and then CurlTalk asked me to use my NaturallyCurly.com login as OAuth to the latest iteration of the forum.  But ANYWAY...)

That's about all the information I have for you right now ... up to the mods to figure out if passwords were actually leaked, or just e-mail addresses.

Anyway, log DIRECTLY into NaturallyCurly.com and change your password just in case, and if you were reusing the password elsewhere, change those too (not to the same thing you change your NaturallyCurly password to today).

DO NOT CLICK ANY LINKS claiming to be from NaturallyCurly.com that you didn't ask for!!

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Thanks for letting us know.  I'll make a report of this post to notify admins.  I'm not sure anyone actually comes in here - we seem to be ignored by whoever runs this place.  But in case they do, they may see the report.

For what it's worth, I did not get any emails like that, neither in my inbox or in my spam.  And I do check my spam folder daily.  I wonder if the email itself was a phishing email?  It's a good idea to never click any links that come through your email unless you're sure it's safe.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Yes, I have been getting redirected to spam sites on this site. On all my devices. Getting a bit frustrated with this as I’m scared it’s giving my devices viruses.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited April 16
    @BrittanyM I access on an iPhone and have the same issue.  Also makes me nervous!
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • _Eva__Eva_ Posts: 88Registered Users Curl Neophyte
    There has been a data breach. It might even still exist today. I recently installed a password protection program (Dashlane) on my computer and let it scan the internet for my email addresses. The one I used to register here at naturally curly came up leaked onto the dark web. The program pointed to naturally curly as the source of the breach. It states that passwords and email addresses are compromised. Date of the breach stated was March 1st 2016, way before I ever registered here. So I suspect the breach has not been fixed since and the spam people have been getting has been coming from the same source. So if you have used a password on naturally curly that you use anywhere else, please change that password and protect yourselves. I have asked Naturally Curly to delete my account as a consequence of the leak, but they have not responded.
    Hair type: 3b, normal porosity, medium texture

co-wash and rinse out: Inecto coconut conditioner
    leave in: sHegron Aloe vera conditioner or Inecto coconut conditioner
    styler: L'Oreal gel / mousse

Currently experimenting with home made flax seed gel (latest version with agave syrup and gelatine), home made protein treatments (latest version with gelatine and coconut oil)

IHerb code: SGW867 (up to $10 off)
  • LotsawavesLotsawaves Posts: 9,777Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I would just like to know if anyone is running & moderating this site anymore. It has turned into a ghost town.. The only thing that seems to be working are these huge ads that block most of the screens.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    @lotsawaves, I'm still here (more or less) as moderator, but the site is so broken there's literally nothing I can do as a mod. When the site started redirecting me I quit coming here every day. Now that's stopped, but everything else is still broken. I do see an admin post a test message every once in a while, but otherwise they seem to be nonexistent.
    Current products:
  • MelissaRoantreeLoveMelissaRoantreeLove Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Oh no, I'm so bummed reading this! I was really looking forward to learning here. Just got my first real curly haircut, and now it's time to experiment! Can anyone suggest an alternative site? (besides Facebook)
  • MelissaRoantreeLoveMelissaRoantreeLove Posts: 0Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Also, newbie question, how do I put my hair routine information underneath my comments?
    @MelissaRoantreeLove, Reddit has a curlyhair subreddit that's very active. And Facebook has lots of different groups. To put your routine under your comments you'll need to access your profile. With everything else so messed up you'll probably have difficulties. You could give it a try though.
    Current products:
    Guide 65 I have to wonder why this site is broken & no one is alerting us here or doing anything about it. I haven't seen Gretchen here in a long while. I would think at least she, being one of the creators, would not of just left like this. Do they at least pay you for being a moderator? If so, I would certainly be one and help out here. I also feel that if no one is interested in this site, they should just shut it down. Maybe they are just running ads to make money with no regards to the people here.
    From Michael Berg:

Every person has a unique connection to the Creator that can never be extinguished, and every person has a great soul that can manifest important things in our world. To make a person feel less than they are because of something inside themselves, be it faith, race, or sexual orientation, is the greatest sin of all."
    @Lotsawaves, the site was bought out - not sure when, but they let Gretchen go in January. No, no pay for me, I just volunteered the last time it got overrun with spam. Now I can't even get rid of the spam anymore. It does seem like they're only interested in making money and not about the community.
    Current products:
    Yes, I heard it had been bought out. Apparently, they don't care about the community so I don't see any reason to come here anymore. Goodbye NC.com. I will miss you & the friends I made here.
    From Michael Berg:

• PoochiePoochie Posts: 315Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    So sad. I've been a member since 1998 and have learned so much here about all kinds of things as well as hair. I haven't posted much in the last few years because it's been so slow. I miss most of all the Non-hair board where i could get advice about just about anything from a group of smart diverse women. where else can i find that now?

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file