Why Won't My Hair Hold a Twist Out

ZelscoZelsco Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
I have been having this weird problem with my hair. When I twist out my hair, the first day it has a curl pattern in the shape of the twists (as it should) but the soon after - anywhere from later in the week to the next day - it shrinks up into a super curly declumped texture that is more similar to my natural hair. The new texture might either be my actual texture or a slightly stretched out version. I am not really sure because I am not that familiar with my hair and I have not done a wash and go since I started doing twist outs. 

Here is an example: Pay attention to my bangs
Flat twist out on the day I took it out
The next day

I have no idea what could be causing it and it is a little bit frustrating. I love the texture of these unclumped twist outs but I would like to have more variety in my styling i.e. I want to be able to have a twist out texture when I plan to. This has happened to me when I used only gel on hair that had been moisturized a few days before (I wet it with spray bottle), only a leave in on freshly washed hair, a leave in and a gel, and a cream to refresh after my hair had become like the second picture. I also don't separate my hair. Has this ever happened to anyone else? 

Best Answer

• DennishaDennisha Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 1 Curl Neophyte
    Accepted Answer
    Firstly check to see if the products you're using have glycerine in it. Glycerine is a humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the environment around it to itself. If this is not the issue then try applying gel to set your hair and ensure it's thoroughly dried. 

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!

My hair is so different than yours so this may be wrong, but when my hair won't hold a style, it's either because of build up or a lack of protein.  I start with a clarifying wash to get my hair really clean.  Use a shampoo with sulfates for the best clean, just make sure there's no silicones in it.  Then if that doesn't work, adding some protein might help.  You can use a conditioner that has protein in it, or get some Neutral Protein Filler from Sallys and add it to your regular conditioner. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ZelscoZelsco Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 5 Curl Neophyte
    Hey! Thanks for your suggestions. I don’t think product build up is the issue. When that happens I usually see the flakes on my hair and that tends to make my hair frizzy like it is when naked not like it is in the second picture. It could be protein since I don’t use it in my hair but I highly doubt that. My hair is low porosity so I dont need much protein. And when I get hair fails, my hair is hard and brittle not limp and over soft like it would be in a moisture overload. Either way I’m going to be using a deep conditioner with protein in it for the first time this weekend so I guess we’ll see if that does anything
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Let us know how it goes!  If it doesn't work, you could try a harder holding gel. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Going off of what @dennisha said, do you live in a humid climate? It could be reverting due to humidity, steam from shower or cooking, etc. if it’s helps, both are beautiful!
  • GlamourstruckkGlamourstruckk Registered Users Posts: 312 Curl Connoisseur
    What are you using to set your twists? How long do you wear the twists before unraveling them? I wouldn't know the first picture was a twistout unless I was told. So, there may be something in your technique that is causing this as well. Most twistouts look very..."manipulated." You KNOW they're a twistout.

Kayla

Youtube - Website
    4b/Density:iii/Strands:Fine, MBL
    @dennisha I think you might be right. My products are very high in glycerine but the humidity is the only thing that really moisturizes my hair. I am trying some new product where glycerine is lower but my hair is not as moisturized. Fingers crossed that this one lasts
    @BrittanyM Thanks a lot for the compliment! I love them both really. It's just that the second is unintentional. I am happy though that my hair "fails" look really good. @Glamourstruckk It doesn't look very twistout like because the front of my hair is longer than the back of my hair and I do my flat twists straight back so the front is really stretched out. When I twist the front down towards my face, it looks more twist out like. I usually keep twists in for 2 days or more before I take them out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file