I thought I had low-porosity hair

rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
Hi, this may be breaking the rules, but check out this video if you think you have low porosity hair:

All this time I thought I had low porosity hair.  I see now that I do not, after watching this video!
rabar
2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
formerly CG method

Comments

• CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    edited March 30
    This isn't accurate. I suspect there is product buildup on the hair causing it to repel water. Also... nobody with that length has 100% low porosity hair. Environmental damage inevitably makes outer layers of hair more porous. My hair is virgin (never heat styled or colored), and I had it professionally analyzed. The results were low porosity at roots, medium in the middle and high at ends and outer layers (crown area).
    This YouTuber is notorious for trying to gain following by making controversial statements about curly hair (the need to heal low porosity hair is one of those). I would strongly recommend looking up other sources.
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

• rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    You are entitled to your opinion.

Perhaps you can share a video of real low-porosity hair being rinsed for a comparison.

When you had your hair analyzed, did they test for porosity by using water or gases?  It's my understanding that liquid water behaves very differently from gases.  If they used gases, I suspect that water could behave very differently on the hair strand.  Just my opinion.
    rabar
    formerly CG method
  • Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Porosity is on a sliding scale. I would consider this person's hair to be extremely low porosity. I don't think hair has to repel water to that great an extent to still be considered low porosity.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I found this woman yesterday and was not a fan of her. I am of the belief of doing what works for your hair while she is of the belief that her way is the only way. For example, in one video she criticises excessive product use. While i agree to an extent, when I first started, I had to use excessive products to get hair that I liked. Now, I use much much less because my hair is not as damaged. For me, who cares how much product I used vs use now? I do what works for me as should everyone else. Also I felt this forum was attacked (not specifically), but we are all here to help even if we can't feel or touch each other's hair. We want the best for everyone and to support each other.
    This had nothing to do with your video. Haha. I just had feelings about her.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited April 3
    I would think a microscope is what hair analysis use to test porosity, not water or gas or anything like that.  Porosity is how open the pores of your hair are.  In my opinion, seeing what your hair is is a better way to tell than assuming by how it acts.  Especially considering there are so many contradicting theories about "how to tell". 

P.S. the above occurs at such a micro level that super sleek frizz free straight hair can be high posterity and you have no idea by looking at it
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • CurlyLiliCurlyLili Posts: 69Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    rabar said:
    You are entitled to your opinion.

Perhaps you can share a video of real low-porosity hair being rinsed for a comparison.

When you had your hair analyzed, did they test for porosity by using water or gases?  It's my understanding that liquid water behaves very differently from gases.  If they used gases, I suspect that water could behave very differently on the hair strand.  Just my opinion.
    The analysis was done with a microscope by Wendy from Goosefootprints. You can read more about it here: https://goosefootprints.com
    Type: 3a/3b
    Hair strand thickness: medium/coarse
    Density: thick
    Porosity: low at roots/normal mid-shaft/high at ends
    Sensitivity to protein: no

Cleanse: DC Low-poo
    Clarify: Build up buster, Malibu-C Un do goo
    DT: DC Melt into moisture, Curly Hair Solutions Pure Silk Protein Treatment, occasional fermented rice water
    Condition: DC One Condition Original and One Condition Decadence
    Style: DC ArcAngel, DC UDG, Curl Keeper Original, Jessicurl Confident coils, Spiralicious, Deva B'leave in

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    edited April 11
    When I had my hair analyzed by Goosefootprints I got the same result - low on top, medium in the middle, low on the ends. 

Edit:  Oops, I meant low on top, medium and then HIGH on the ends.

I will share with you a secret from the MAP course and group - we don't care about porosity.  We use what works for our hair.  Many people with different porosities use the same products.  What differs is the amount of product we use.  If your hair is dry and thirsty, use tons of conditioner and rinse out little or none.  If your hair seems well moisturized and gets weighed down easily, use a little bit of conditioner and rinse out a lot or all.  Both of those people can use the same conditioner.  You don't really need to know the porosity of your hair - just observe the way it acts.  We experiment to see what happens when we rinse a lot or rinse a little, or even rinse none.  When you figure out what works, the question of porosity becomes moot and you can move on to other things.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @CurlyLili, I would like to apologize.  I don't know if my earlier comment sounded rude or not, but I was being rude, and I was wrong for that.

I did check out the website about the analysis, but I couldn't find out much more about the analysis she does.  That's too bad, I really was curious about it (I had read somewhere that hair porosity is determined with some instrument that passes gas through the hair shaft, and wanted to know more about it).  But it turns out she's not doing hair analyses anymore, according to the website.

It just seems to me that all this is way more complicated than it needs to be.  I've read so many articles on the internet about hair porosity, and this vlogger's videos are the only videos I have seen that actually give examples of how hair of a certain porosity actually behaves when in contact with water.  She is giving her opinion based on her experience with working on so many people's hair.  No, she doesn't agree with all the articles I've read, but many of those articles don't have sources, so we really don't know how accurate the information is.  And the only credentials she has are what she tells us on you tube, so we really don't know how accurate her information is.  Just like we really don't know if the people who write all those articles are qualified to write them or not (I like to think that they are, but how can we really tell?).

I love the science-y hair blog because I love nitty-gritty scientific details and explanations, but after following the suggestions on that particular blog, my hair is much drier than it was, and it doesn't feel healthy.  None of the articles I read have video showing you what to look for regarding porosity, they always only offer a written description of what to look for, and after determining my porosity based on those articles and the info on the science-y hair blog, I'm getting terrible results.  The curlninja is the only one offering practical, visual examples, and she seems pretty knowledgeable to me, even though her opinions aren't based on science or research or lab experiments, or what's going on at the microscopic or molecular level.  She seems to be the only one out there putting her money where her mouth is, so to speak, or backing up her opinions with examples we can see.  Her theories may be erroneous, but I think the results will speak for themselves.  And I think it's up to each of us to decide what is working or not working for our hair, whether anyone else agrees with it or not, or whether the science-based theories agree or not.  So I'm not going to write off an opinion just because it doesn't agree with what I already think I know, or what I think science research is telling me, because when it comes down to it, I am not a hair care expert, I only work on my hair, and I really am not qualified to determine if someone else knows what they are talking about or not, even if the internet agrees with them.  And I have enough experience working in R&D and QA labs to know that what works or happens in the lab is not always reflective of what happens in real life, and although theories may make sense and may even be true, they don't always apply in practical uses.

So, I guess it's back to the drawing board for me, trying to find the balance between having healthy hair and a healthy scalp, and who knows--it may be an illusion that can never be achieved for my head.  But I'm going to keep trying.
    rabar
    formerly CG method

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file