Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Leave-in CG approved?

WallseyWallsey Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
Hello! So, I just discovered 'Is It CG?' through the forums so I naturally started going through all my products and checking the ingredients there. I've been using Shea Moisture Jamaican Black Castor Oil Strengthen and Restore Leave-in since I started the GC method about 8 weeks ago, but now 'Is It CG?' says it isn't CG approved because of this ingredient: 

Ricinus Communis (Castor) Seed Oil

Is that true? I thought all Shea Moisture products were CG approved.

Thanks! xxxxx

Best Answer

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Eh. I think castor oil is cg but may be listed as not because it can build up. I personally have never had a problem with castor oil building up and a sulfate free shampoo is enough to remove it.
    not all Shea moisture products are strictly cg. A lot of the newer lines have silantrol which is a silicone albeit water soluble. I think the JBCO has this ingredient. Again I never had a problem with build up from Shea Moisture provided I used a sulfate free shampoo and an occasional sulfate clarifying shampoo.
    as for this leave in, it wasn’t my favorite. Unless your hair is rather damaged, I think you can find a better leave in else where. If nothing else, you may easily get a sample of this if you live in the US and have access to a TJ Maxx. But then again, don’t take some rando on the internets opinion as fact as it may work incredibly for your hair!

Answers

• WallseyWallsey Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @BrittanyM Thank you! My hair is pretty damaged, I only just started the CGM (about 8 weeks ago) and I've been dyeing it for years. This leave-in was one of the first products I bought and I think it's working(?). My hair's so up and down I'm not 100% sure. All part of transitioning I guess! That's why I wanted to double check everything I was using. I think I'm lacking in protein at the moment and this leave-in my most protein-heavy product. I think I'm going to try the rice water rinse though so maybe I'll hold off on the JBCO and just use my Deva One Conditioner as my leave in then I don't over-do it.
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Oh, if you've already got it and it's working, great! I bought it when I first started and the masque and leave in (except the shampoo) worked great for my hair (I've always dyed my hair too). But when my hair started to "heal" and get better, it started to not like the line as much and found it too heavy.
    If you ever wanted to try another Shea Moisture line, I highly recommend the Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil. Smells divine and imparts so much moisture.
    I feel like a jerk downing a product you bought. I really didn't mean anything by it.
  • WallseyWallsey Posts: 15Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    BrittanyM said:
    Oh, if you've already got it and it's working, great! I bought it when I first started and the masque and leave in (except the shampoo) worked great for my hair (I've always dyed my hair too). But when my hair started to "heal" and get better, it started to not like the line as much and found it too heavy.
    If you ever wanted to try another Shea Moisture line, I highly recommend the Manuka Honey and Mafura Oil. Smells divine and imparts so much moisture.
    I feel like a jerk downing a product you bought. I really didn't mean anything by it.
    Oh no, please don't feel bad, I completely appreciate your honesty! You've been so helpful! Hopefully, at some point, it will stop working for me too as my hair gets healthier! :)
    I've been eyeing up the Manuka Honey one so I'll definitely give it a go then! I'm in Canada so Shea Moisture is one of the lines available to me, though I do have a Sally's near me (which is a little dangerous!). Thank you again, and you are definitely not a jerk!
  • kira0kira0 Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Had just the same question about this product!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file