Moisturizing vs. Slip

BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
I can't find any articles addressing this, so let's make our own. While I understand these two properties are different, in my experience they tend to be linked. If a deep conditioner for example has slip, it tends to be more moisturizing. Deep conditioners with no slip have never been moisturizing for me. But then again, maybe I don't find conditioners with no slip moisturizing because I can't properly distribute it. On the other hand, I love Kinky Curly Knot Today as a leave in but don't find it to have the best moisturizing effects despite having the best slip on the market.
1. Do you find these properties are linked?
2. If you had to choose one property over the other, which would it be? (surprisingly even with my bleached hair, I will choose slip with less moisture just for less tangles)
3. Any general commentary or opinions?

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    I haven't payed much attention honestly. But thinking about KCKT, I find it's a more of a hydrating kind of moisturizing than the oil/butter moisturizing we normally think of.  I wonder if that has something to do with the difference
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Hmm.

I've never really thought about it.  But i guess I don't connect the two.  I don't think because something has a lot of slip, that it is necessarily moisturizing.  Honey doesn't have any slip at all, but it is considered to be moisturizing.  Silicones have a lot of slip, but I don't think they actually moisturize.  Water hydrates, but offers no slip.  I don't like aloe juice because, in my opinion, it has no slip.  Chlorine bleach feels "slippery" to me, but I know it's not moisturizing (not that I've ever used that in my hair, or on my body!).

When I think of slip, I think of emollients, or lubricants, not moisturizers.  Like oils and silicones.  They might make my hair feel smoother or softer after it dries, but in my opinion that is different from feeling hydrated or moisturized.  But that doesn't mean an ingredient can't do both at the same time--I just can't think of any right now (well, maybe some proteins)!  And that doesn't mean that just because an ingredient offers no slip that it is moisturizing. 

I prefer products that do both, but I agree about the slip vs. moisturizing:  I would rather have no mattes or tangles, and smooth or soft-feeling hair than choosing something that is moisturizing but makes my hair feel rough or tangled.  In the long run, it's probably healthier to choose the moisturizing ingredients, but I'm more of an instant-gratification type of gal.

Interesting topic!
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @rabar, out of curiousity, can you have soft but frizzy hair? Typically I see emollients as being moisturizing. When I have frizz, it is dry and rough to the touch. I might have a bit of frizz from too much product but it's so minimal. That's why I link the two, because to me, soft and smooth hair equals hydrated and moisturized. Your perspective is interesting.
    I have a Cantu Deep Conditioner that is supposed to be really moisturizing, but it has no slip. I find my True by Made Beautiful Masque to be more moisturizing and it has a lot of slip. Which is what got me to thinking these two may or may not be linked.
    @tinksaysboo Kinky Curly Knot Today is still one of my holy grails but not as moisturizing as say As I Am GroYogurt which also has a lot of slip. But then again, my hair doesn't understand moisture overload.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    I have found some conditioners that moisturize but have no slip, and some that have slip but don't moisturize.  KCKT doesn't moisturize my hair, but it has so much slip it always makes me feel like I've used too much.  Innersense Color Radiance doesn't have very much slip, but it's really moisturizing. 

One trick you can use when there's not enough slip is to add a little water to the hair after applying the product.  It should turn much slipperier.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM ; - DC Melt into Moisture made my hair soft but frizzy! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

btw KCKT one best Leave in for all hair types this year lol

https://www.naturallycurly.com/best-of-the-best/6/conditioner/leave-in-conditioner 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    edited March 28
    KCKT is the best though. Haha.
    i have never had soft frizz; I didn’t know this existed. I’m half tempted to see if I can get frizzy but soft hair. Haha.
    I used CJ Smoothing Lotion yesterday after having used KCKT for a bout a week.   It felt like it had zero slip after having used KCKT.  I ended up adding more water.  Thanks for that tip @Guide 65!

KCKT doesn't give me good moisture, which is why I had to shelf it in the winter.   Now that it's warmer and my hair is not loving the heavier products, I am able to really see the difference between the two.  KCKT is almost like a silicone.  It gives me the appearance of shiny moisturized hair without using me butters & oils.

• rabarrabar Posts: 64Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    @rabar, out of curiousity, can you have soft but frizzy hair? Typically I see emollients as being moisturizing. When I have frizz, it is dry and rough to the touch. I might have a bit of frizz from too much product but it's so minimal. That's why I link the two, because to me, soft and smooth hair equals hydrated and moisturized. Your perspective is interesting.

My hair is frizzy unless I straighten it, whether it feels soft and moisturized or not.  I think it's just naturally frizzy!  So it's definitely possible for my hair to be soft and frizzy, but that may not be true for most people.

I guess I'm looking at "moisturizing" from the technical, scientific point of view:  does the product provide moisture (water)?  Oils repel water, and may lock in moisture on wet hair, but "technically" they don't provide moisture themselves--kind of like lotion on skin.  A 100% white petroleum jelly lotion (which is completely non-polar and water repelling) does not literally moisturize the skin.  But if I use it before I go to bed, especially after I shower or do the dishes, my hands feel very soft and "moisturized" in the morning.  So, technically, although that lotion is not providing moisture, it leaves my hands soft and smooth, because it keeps the moisture that's already in my skin from evaporating and leaving my hands dried out.  When my skin does actually get moisture (if I'm in the shower too long, wash dishes, go swimming), my skin does not feel soft, smooth, or "moisturized", even though technically it is moisturized (because it has absorbed extra water).

From a practical standpoint, none of that really matters, we just know our hair feels "moisturized" after we use those products.  Products that technically are moisturizing (like honey or aloe vera, or other humectants), tend to leave my hair feeling rough, and though I wouldn't describe it as dry, it doesn't feel soft or smooth.  So in my head, that's what I associate with actual "hydration" or "moisturizing".  I hope that makes some sense--sometimes I think way too much. :)
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
    @rabar It sounds like maybe you and I are thinking about it the same way?

that slip, like what KCKT is famous for, gives the "appearance" of moisture even though that might not be what it's actually doing.  

• DariahDariah Posts: 11Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I would prefer moisture over slip/detangle, look at silicones for instance: they detangle but offer zero moisture. And about frizz and softness at the same time: YES! I noticed it happens to me when I use products with glycerin and the weather is humid. Last time I applied the Garnier Hair Food Banana as LI and it was very humid outside. I turned out with super soft hair with no definition AND frizz...
  • kira0kira0 Posts: 12Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    I like both 
  • OnduleeOndulee Posts: 1,305Registered Users Curl Connoisseur
    rabar said:
    BrittanyM said:

My hair is frizzy unless I straighten it, whether it feels soft and moisturized or not.  I think it's just naturally frizzy!  So it's definitely possible for my hair to be soft and frizzy, but that may not be true for most people.

I guess I'm looking at "moisturizing" from the technical, scientific point of view:  does the product provide moisture (water)?  Oils repel water, and may lock in moisture on wet hair, but "technically" they don't provide moisture themselves--kind of like lotion on skin.  A 100% white petroleum jelly lotion (which is completely non-polar and water repelling) does not literally moisturize the skin.  But if I use it before I go to bed, especially after I shower or do the dishes, my hands feel very soft and "moisturized" in the morning.  So, technically, although that lotion is not providing moisture, it leaves my hands soft and smooth, because it keeps the moisture that's already in my skin from evaporating and leaving my hands dried out.  When my skin does actually get moisture (if I'm in the shower too long, wash dishes, go swimming), my skin does not feel soft, smooth, or "moisturized", even though technically it is moisturized (because it has absorbed extra water).

From a practical standpoint, none of that really matters, we just know our hair feels "moisturized" after we use those products.  Products that technically are moisturizing (like honey or aloe vera, or other humectants), tend to leave my hair feeling rough, and though I wouldn't describe it as dry, it doesn't feel soft or smooth.  So in my head, that's what I associate with actual "hydration" or "moisturizing".  I hope that makes some sense--sometimes I think way too much. :)
    @rabar: you and I think alike! I understand you perfectly. I think this principle in application is how the Spritz and Condish technique works. Moisture then slip/emollient, then sealing if desired helped me long ago to get the best hair of my life. Too bad I got busy and went back to the old shampoo and conditioner routine. Now I have to start over and I'm reading again what worked before.
    shoulder length bob; fine; 3A-3B; thin density; normal porosity; normal elasticity- my hair loves keratin, ACV, silk protein ,Curlkeeper and AG:Recoil ; needs moisturizing products and hates oils except mineral oil; CG- Jan/'09-mod CG Sept/'09;CG again Jan/'10/mod CG from Mar'10

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file