Sensitive scalp with rash/dandruff by the ears.. Are sulfates the problem?

KataliyaKataliya Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte
edited March 2019 in Protein-Craving

Hi gorgeous women

How cool is this, that there is a forum for women about hair. So thank you for having me here :)

I am from Denmark, so sorry if there's spelling flaws.

For +4 years now I’ve had dry skin with dandruff by my ears. I know it’s because there is something in the hair products, that’s not good for me.

I eat very clean. Organic home made food, no additives, sugar etc.  But even if I change from one organic shampoo to another, nothing changes. Organic conditioner too. One argan oil I can use but another I can't. It´s weird and expensive too.

I don’t use hair-mouse or anything, because I’ too sensitive, my scalp can´t breath and the rash by the ears, - dandruff looking rash gets worse.

I’m not stressed as I work with mindfulness, but I am becoming more and more sensitive to what I eat and especially what skin-care and hairproducts I use.

My question is this – this Maui shampoo https://www.matas.dk/maui-coconut-oil-shampoo-385ml Contains “Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate”  do I have to avoid this sodium sulfonate or is it okay with type 3a hair? :)

Thank you for your time and help <3

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!  Glad you found us.

Your sensitivity could be to sulfates, or preservatives, or any other ingredient in your hair products.  There's no way to tell unless you do some testing, or can figure it out by examining ingredient lists and narrowing it down to what works and what doesn't.

Sodium C14-16 Olefin Sulfonate could be harsh or could be gentle, depending on the formulation.  It is an effective cleanser.  Personally, I thought that particular shampoo was very harsh and left my hair feeling stripped.  Some people seem to like it though.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • rabarrabar Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 64 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi, I'm not a dermatologist (skin doctor) so I won't give you any advice about how to take care of the problem, but if it's been going on that long you may want to consider seeing a dermatologist about it if you can, because it could be an issue other than the products you are using on your scalp.  Just a suggestion :)
    rabar
    2c/3a/3b, coarse, med-high porosity, medium density
    formerly CG method
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Second @rabar, definitely visit a doctor if you haven't already. Sometimes sulfates irritate sensitive scalps, sometimes they help by keep the scalp squeaky clean. You can never be sure without a doctor's advice and experimenting.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file