Tube-y curls???

mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
So my hair doesn't curl like normal hair, it makes like tubes, making definition damn near impossible. My hair is very VERY damaged, coarse, thick, and d r y. It essentially behaves like type 4 hair, growing out and up, but I have like zero definition. I don't know what to do with it...

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    what is your current routine and products?  that's step one to figuring out what's going on. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Definitely give us your current routine. Do deep condition once a week, it will help with the dryness and damage.
  • mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    what is your current routine and products?  that's step one to figuring out what's going on. 
    So at the moment I'm using the Mane choice leave in, then Camille rose curl maker, camille rose almond jai twisting butter, and last the tigi catwalk curl amplifier. I used to use gel but it dries out my hair. Then I either diffuse on medium speed cool heat or air dry. I've been cowashing almost all the time then conditioning with bed head ressurection conditioner. I'm trying to find a routine that works, and when my hair's healthy I can use the camille rose honey leave in but it's too light right now. I also just bought the mielle rose pomegranate curl custard to try out, since I've found custards work best on my hair for definition. 
  • mixedpowerpuffmixedpowerpuff Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    BrittanyM said:
    Definitely give us your current routine. Do deep condition once a week, it will help with the dryness and damage
    Check above! Also for deep conditioning I usually do it once a week with the curls blueberry bliss mask. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I just check on the tigi items. Both have silicones in them. If you are exclusively cowashing and never using a sulfate, you will experience build up. I recommend a sulfate shampoo once a month followed by a deep conditioner. Gels are good for hold just be sure to choose one without drying alcohols to avoid dryness.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    +1 @BrittanyM  - either ditch the silicone products or wash with a sulfate.  If you decide to ditch the silicone products, make sure to do a sulfate wash before continuing to co-wash.

A good gel can actually hold in moisture!   Avoiding gels with silicone and drying alcohol, as Brittany said is key.  

It looks like you might also be using too much.  For styling, you should use only a leave in, styling cream, and gel/mouse (something that holds)
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file