Judge a Product by Its Ingredients, Not Its Name. Week of February 25

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
How this Thread Works: I will list the ingredients of two products along with some questions.  Your job is to answer those questions based on just the ingredients.    Please share any other observations you might have or some of your reasoning.  It helps us all learn to read ingredients better 

Theme: Conditioner vs Leave In
repeating last week's theme!  This week I choose products from different brands (both are either drug store or high end),  but picked a light weight conditioner.  
Hint: The RO is a popular choice for co-washing in the CGM community. 

Product A
Water (Aqua), Cetyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Fragrance (Parfum), Lactic Acid, Potassium Chloride, Disodium EDTA, Propylene Glycol, PEG-150 Distearate, 2-Bromo-2-Nitropropane-1, 3-Diol, Tocopheryl Acetate, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Pyrus Malus (Apple) Fruit Extract, Glycerin, Yellow 5 (CI 19140) , Blue 1 (CI 42090)

Product B
Water, Cetyl Alcohol, Stearyl Alcohol, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Glycerin, Glyceryl Stearate, Butyrospermum Parkii (Shea) Butter, Cocos Nucifera (Coconut) Oil, Honey Extract, Panthenol, Polyester-11, Lactic Acid, Fragrance, Isostearyl Neopentanoate, Isohexadecane, Butylene Glycol, Disodium Edta, Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Questions
1. Which one is the conditioner and which one is the leave in?
1a. what led you to this conclusion?
2. Are they from a high end line or drugstore?

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Product B has shea butter and coconut oil, which will make it heavy.  I'm going to guess that B is the leave in in spite of that, because some lines make really heavy leave ins.  Maybe it's one of the SM ones.

That means A is the rinse out.  It has apple extract, and you mentioned one of them is really popular for cowashing, so I'll guess A is Suave. 

Nothing very informed about my guesses this week!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Against my second guessing,
    Product A is the rinse out. I only say this because it looks like a Suave Essentials conditioner.
    Product B is the leave in, from one of the more natural brands.
    both are drugstore.
    I would like to say that I didn’t cheat off of Guide. I wrote my own answer before reading hers. Haha.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    haha that one was too easy.

Product A - Suave green apple conditioner 

Product B - Cantu Shea Butter Smoothing Leave-In Conditioning Lotion 

Work has slowed down so I can dedicate more time to ingredient comparison research to get a tricky one!
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

It wasn't easy. The first looked like Suave, but the leave in appears heavier than the suave.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    It was easy in the fact that Suave was familiar distorting opinions =P  I've recently avoided DevaCurl products for that reason and specific products like KCKT

possible sneak peak for next week: I want to compare something marketed to "enhance" curls  vs something  marketed to "straighten" hair.  such as a conditioner or shampoo.  I've never compared curl cream and straightening cream, but that could be interesting.... 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file