What did you do to your hair today? Week of Feb. 25

Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
So March 2 marks my one year anniversary since I started the MAP method.  I thought I'd post some comparison shots.

This was last year, the day before I signed up for the course.  My hair looked horrible and I didn't know how to fix it and I just couldn't take it anymore.

Last week.  Same weather conditions, but now I know what to do to control it and get the waves and curls to come out!

And just for fun - a length comparison.  This was with 2-3 cuts in between!

Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65 gorgeous!!   How long were you CG before MAP?  My stylist took the course (and is part of the FB group), so we gabbed about it through my whole 2 hour session a couple weeks ago.  It was nice to be able to discuss it in detail with someone!     She told me about the orange marmalade gel you heard/tried from the group, too!   Too bad I am done experimenting with products for a while.  :p

My hair has been creating some nice clumps for my last two washes.   Unfortunately, because my hair is low density everywhere but the top layer, it's leaving large gaps you can see through.  It's been a hassle to deal with on wash day because even though my hair might look curly, springy, & bouncy, not many clumps get past 'S' shape and tearing apart 'S' shaped clump almost always results in straight clumps.  But, on day two & three I've been getting some fat ringlets which I can  tear apart to fill in the gaps.  But it's so sad to tear apart such beautiful ringlets :(
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I was CG about 2 years before I started MAP.  I got better results in decent weather, but when we get into the deep cold and the dews drop down really low, I couldn't figure out how to get my hair looking decent.  It's definitely better this year!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    That’s quite a difference, but my cheapskate self would it ever pay for the course so I wonder from afar what the cult secrets are.
    i got bored with my routine and tried Miss Jessie’s Leave In Condish and Multicultural Curls. Lear Liquid Gel. Both are not CG due to the drying alcohol half way down the list. (On a tangent, while I got both for 10 because a Sally near me is closing, it severely annoys me that a product that is 16 dollars has drying alcohol in it. Quality for price please.)
    Anyway, I am still formulating my thoughts. I went against the directions and styled on wet not damp hair as usual. The leave in is nice with a consistency like KCKT and knocks your head off with its smell of laundry detergent. It has amazing slip. I feel it could be more moisturizing but I did only use a dime size.
    the gel is meh. I like liquid gels because they distribute easier, but it created crunch in like two small areas. It had zero hold and was like I styled with cream. Which is fine because sometimes I want that. But then again, I only used a quarter size because I don’t know the amounts yet.
    my hair dried quicker, probably due to the alcohol. So I’ll use these again for when I need my hair to dry faster. As far as results, soft fluffy curly waves. Bottoms 2c-3a, but mid lengths a string 2a-b. My first day did look like second day. I am in third day now, and it looks like fourth. It’s not dried out from the alcohol, but it has expanded over the course of the wash day. I had to slick down my hair with a refresher spray to calm the triangle head.
    ill use these again either tonight or tomorrow for midweek cowash day. I like them for the price I got and definitely would never pay full price for them, but I probably won’t repurchase.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Today the impossible happened. I reached day 4 hair!  And not just any day 4 hair, hair that I wouldn't mind rocking to something important like a job interview or first date!

I am starting to get a halo of build up frizz, but it's really not bad at all.  And it's still quite curly! I keep going to my mirror and looking at my hair haha.  It's just so hard to believe this is day 4 hair.  In December  I was washing my hair almost every day because I was so fed up  with putting up with day 2 hair.

To refresh today I damped my hair with hot water using my hands.  I then squeezed in some CJ smoothing lotion all over and adding more water where needed.  I then applied a pump of JC Spiralicous gel to each side with praying motion.  Gently scrunched and then let it air dry.  SCOTC and finished my applying JC Awe Inspring spray with praying hands.  The build up frizz looked kind of bad when my hair was still wet, but it subsided a lot by the time I SCOTC and applied the finishing spray. 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

It looks great! Welcome to the big leagues.
    edited March 2019
    Part of my winter routine was to up my heated DC from once a week to 2-3 times a week.  That was when I was washing my hair every day to every other day.  Now that  I am only washing my hair twice a week, it feels weird to DC every wash since DC replaces my conditioner.  But I've been a bit fuzzy this wash compared to last wash so maybe my hair needs it.  I will see how my hair fares the rest of this wash before I decide if I just need to shelf my RO for the rest of the cold season.

Someone asked me what my curls would look like if I didn't use product or style it.  To be honest, I have no idea.  I haven't tried since going CG last march (a couple weeks until my 1 year!).  I think I might test this weekend if I continue to have no plans.

I had last minute plans Saturday and wanted fresh hair so I did a quick heated DC (I was thinking my not great wash day Thursday was because I need a DC).   My hair still wasn't great.  I either rushed working the products in my hair or I need to sulfate wash bi monthly instead of DC bi weekly.    I will sulfate wash tomorrow morning and see how I am in two weeks.  

I decided to go au natural with my hair today.  All I did was put in a little leave in.  Before I discovered the curly girl method, I use to think my hair wasn't sure if it wanted  to be curly or wavy.    Like it dried trying to do both.  It sill does that.  Products act like a ringleader for my curls.  "all  strands that want to be wavy, clump together over here.  "all strands that want to be curly, clump together over here".  Today my hair was the wild west.  Though I had some clear ringlets they were fluffy.  It mostly looked likely messy bed head that needed to be brushed.    After laying around  on the couch and in bed all day with my hair mostly down, all the curls are gone lol.   I think I am going to do a similar experiment the next two weekends, one with just curl cream and one with just gel.  

Haha. Ringleader for ringlets!
    lol!  That would  be a great name for a product

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file