Judge a Product by Its Ingredients, Not Its Name. Week of February 18

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
edited February 2019 in Coloring Your Hair
How this Thread Works: I will list the ingredients of two products along with some questions.  Your job is to answer those questions based on just the ingredients.    Please share any other observations you might have or some of your reasoning.  It helps us all learn to read ingredients better 

(sorry, accidentally posted in wrong board)

Theme: Conditioner vs Leave In
Hints: they are both from the same line

Product A
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, PPG-3 Benzyl Ether Ethylhexanoate, Quaternium-18, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon) Seed Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Quaternium-80, Fragrance (Parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Product B
Water (Aqua), Cetearyl Alcohol, Behentrimonium Chloride, Distearyldimonium Chloride, Glycerin, Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey, Citrullus Lanatus (Watermelon Seed) Oil, Helianthus Annuus (Sunflower) Seed Oil, Quaternium-80, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Fragrance (Parfum), Phenoxyethanol, Ethylhexylglycerin.

Questions
1. Which one is the conditioner and which one is the leave in?
2. Are they from a high end line or drugstore?
3. Can you tell which line?

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Well... I see my clinging to a leave in is most definitely challenged. haha.
    1) Product A is the leave in. B is the conditioner. Staking my claim on polyquats alone due to frizz control.
    2) Highend only because of Hydroxypropyltrimonium Honey which I can't pronounce which to me seems fancy pants.
    3) Miss Jessie's? Jessicurl? No clue.
    I can't wait till Friday to know the answer.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    This one's really tough!  The ingredients are so similar.  Hydroxyethelcellulose in product B is is a thickening agent.  Product A doesn't have that.  So I'll say B is the conditioner an A is the leave in.  Plus the extra quaternium, like @BrittanyM says. 

I can't tell whether they're high end or not, or what brand.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm at a loss as to which is leave-in and which is rinse-out. Clearly this is why some people say you don't need a dedicated leave-in!

I think they are drugstore since the formulations are both so simple and so similar. Brand unknown.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    *drum roll*

They are from the yellow Not Your Mother's Natural line.

Product A = Naturals Royal Honey & Kalahari Desert Melon Repair & Protect Leave-In Conditioner

Product B = Naturals Royal Honey & Kalahari Desert Melon Repair & Protect Conditioner

This line was honestly the most similar to each other.   I think I would have a hard time fooling you guys with most lines  :p   Leave-In's are like watered down version of the conditioner, which is suppose is technically what you are doing when you use RO.   I have two future post ideas from this:
    1. choose a line where it's obvious which is which so we can just compare the ingredients that don't overlap.  Do the extra/omitted ingredients in the leave in make it the same thing as conditioner that's been partially rinsed out or is it really a different product?
    2. Compare a light weight conditioner with a heavy leave in

Interesting observation: though not the same honey, another honey ingredient also threw people off on being high end vs drug store in a previous post.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    To be completely honest, after comparing so many leave in and conditioners, I think I'm off the "leave ins are a marketing ploy" wagon.    I think leave ins are more convenient as there isn't much of a learning curve like there is when learning to use your RO as a leave in.  RO do have heavier ingredients so most of us can't just "slap it on" like we can with leave in.  We have to be more aware of product/water ratio. 

I think it's not about should I buy a formulated leave in, it's about what ingredients my hair prefers as  leave in. 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Leave ins are good if your hair is dry. My hair is bleached and even the (7 month long) roots are dry too. I will say the Say Yes to Coconuts Conditioner is a conditioner that I only rinse the roots and squish to condish with. It's lightweight enough to be fool proof. But my normal SM conditioners or masques are way too heavy to guess how much to rinse out.
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Agreed about leave-ins. My hair is very sensitive to heavy products and oils, so it's very easy to improperly gauge how much rinse-out to leave in. Leave-ins take that guesswork out of the equation for me. Even with leave-ins, I often use a very small amount, usually a pea-sized amount for my entire head. 
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    With my hair, I've never been able to just slap in a leave in.  It has to be mixed with water, same as a regular conditioner, otherwise it'll just be greasy and dirty feeling.  So if I'm going to do the whole S2C thing anyway, I might as well do it once with my regular conditioner instead of repeating the whole thing again with another product.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file