Affordable product recs for 2b hair?

headinthestarsheadinthestars Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
edited February 2019 in Hair Type 2
I'm about a month into CG and I have noticed a difference, but I'm not quite happy yet because my waves aren't very defined. I'm not sure what direction I should go in for my products. I cut my hair to slightly longer than shoulder length about 2 weeks in, and I don't think it helped at all. Could my products be weighing it down? Or is my hair just not meant to curl up? I definitely can't spend a lot on hair products, so drugstore recs would be highly appreciated! 
This is what I'm currently using:
Shampoo: Ogx Quenching and Coconut Curls
Conditioner: Ogx Shea Soft and Smooth
Deep Conditioner: Aussie 3 Minute Miracle Moist
Leave-in: Garnier Fructis Sleek and Shine Intensely Smooth Leave-in (just realized they make one for curls)
Gel: LA Looks Sport
For shampoo and conditioner I think I'm between Cantu, NYM Naturals, NYM Curl Talk, and Shea Moisture (though I'm not sure which line would be best), and NYM Curl Talk Defining Cream.

Comments

• WavyHeadMegWavyHeadMeg Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 24 Curl Novice
    Hey, check your lables to make sure there aren't any hidden silicones you need to shampoo out. Those could definitely be weighing down your hair. I'm 99% sure the Aussie 3 minute miracle has silicones.
  • headinthestarsheadinthestars Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    I thought for sure I checked the labels when I bought them, but apparently not! The leave-in, 3 minute miracle, AND my conditioner have silicones! I feel pretty stupid lol thanks!
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 2019
    The shampoo also has silicone.  Ditch the silicone products and see how your hair is!  I bet it will make a big difference. 

Be  Warned: Silicons mask damaged hair.  Your hair might look bad for a couple weeks to months while your hair repairs.  It's not that the products you are using are crap or CG is not for you, it's just you are no longer hiding the real damage like you were before.  This is called "transition".  Lots of articles online about dealing with "transition Hair" when going curly girl

Not Your Mother's Naturals is a great CG approved line.  Kinky Curly is another one I would suggest.   Your curl type doesn't determine how you care for your curls so I wouldn't say either are better or worse.  You have to experiment to find which line your hair likes best.  

BTW -  The Curly Girl Method avoids sulfates, which means ditching the shampoo and using conditioner to wash your hair.   It's common for curlies who have issues with weighed down curls to do a modified CG and use a low poo aka a shampoo with gentle sulfates or cleansing agents.   The cleansing agents in the NYMN shampoos  are considered gentle.   

P.S. you will want to strip your hair of all the silicone with a sulfate shampoo before you starting using non-silcone products.  I recommend Suave Daily Clean Shampoo.  It's easy to find nationwide (I am assuming you are in the US, apologize if that was wrong) and it's only like $1.  Good to keep in your cupboard in case you ever accidentally use silcones again.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • headinthestarsheadinthestars Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    Thank you @tinksaysboo I did mean to say shampoo instead of conditioner. And I do know about sulfates! I made sure to do my research before starting (even though I royally screwed up lol). I still had some leftover sulfate shampoo so I just took a shower and used that. I think I'll try the NYM Naturals line, as I've heard some great things about it. 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 2019
    awesome!  Double check the leftover shampoos don't have silicone though :) 

Here is a handy chart ranking the NYMN line by heaviest to lightest.   

When it comes to the shampoo & conditioner, I recommend starting with the purple line and work your way up  to heavier if it seems like your hair can handle more.    I also suggest not rinsing out all of the conditioner so it acts like a leave in.    

Before I started investing in more expensive lines, I loved experimenting with all the NYMN lines.  I used the purple conditioner to wash, the pink for rinse out conditioner, and the yellow conditioner as a leave in (I liked the conditioner better as a leave in than the actual leave in).   I've never used the curl cream in the pink line, but I've heard good things about it. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

And here I was just about to jump into the pink line lol thank you!
    And here I was just about to jump into the pink line lol thank you!
    the pink line is the only one with a curl cream, so if you are looking for one you should defiantly check it out!   Each line has one or two products unique to it so the lightest to heaviest really only matters for the conditioner (or the shampoo if you decide to use them)

Pink: curl cream, detangler
    Yellow: leave in, dry shampoo
    Purple: dry shampoo
    Light blue: smoothing cream
    dark blue: mouse
    green: deep conditioner 

edited February 2019
    I'm still figuring out my porosity (the quiz says high, but the float test says low? It's definitely frizzy), but I have medium thickness, and medium density hair. Would you recommend any of the lines over another for that?
    edited February 2019
    The float test isn't the best to tell porosity.  It's best to look at the characteristics of your hair.  Porosity is going to be more important to picking products than your curl type.  In general, low porosity will want lighter products since it can't absorb as well.  High porosity likes heavier products because it soaks it right up.  

If you are low porosity, start with purple and work your way up (being low porosity doesn't mean you can't use heavy products, it just means there is a likelihood it will weight down your hair or build up).  If you are high porosity, I would recommend starting with the yellow and work up from there.   

Characteristics of Low Porosity Curly Hair
    • Curls take a long time to dry.
    • Products tend to build up on curls rather than absorb.
    • Natural oils don’t readily penetrate, but rather sit on your hair.
    • Curls take much longer to get fully saturated when you wet them.

Characteristics of Normal Porosity Curly Hair
    • Curls are full of bounce and elasticity.
    • Requires very little maintenance.
    • Easily accepts and retains moisture inside the cuticle.
    • Holds styles well and can be colored with good results.

Characteristics of High Porosity Curly Hair
    • Curls easily absorb water, however, it requires more products.
    • Curls often look and feel dry.
    • Curls are often frizzy.
    • Curls dry quickly.

Looks like I'm high porosity then! Thank you so much for all your help, I appreciate it so much!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file