Can't get my hair to go crunchy?

KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 36 Curl Connoisseur
edited February 2019 in Hair Type 2
I know it sounds weird, but I'd actually love to be able to SOTC in a morning as I take a bath on a night and wash my hair, put my products in, let it air dry and then tie it up on a night still crunchy so I can have frizz-free waves in the morning.

I'm a type 2 b/c wavy and I think I'm high porosity but I'm not too sure. It goes crunchy in some parts but by the time it's finished drying (6/7 hours) there's no crunch left normally at all.

Any ideas what I can do? I've tried using a lot of gel, a little gel, more curling enhancers, less, nothing works!

Answers

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    What products are you using?  
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    It could be the gel. It could also be that your isn't wet enough. I apply to soaking wet hair and have a crunch with gel and even a very slight crunch with creams.
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 36 Curl Connoisseur
    edited February 2019
    i have tried Cantu's custard gel, Shea Mositure (green tube) gel, As I AM Curling Jelly, Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly - in the pink tube - did not like that at all lol, boots pink curl creme, again didn't like that either, think that's all?
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 36 Curl Connoisseur
    BrittanyM said:
    It could be the gel. It could also be that your isn't wet enough. I apply to soaking wet hair and have a crunch with gel and even a very slight crunch with creams.
    Yeah I do it on soaking wet hair, as soon as I rinse it I put it on :(
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    i have tried Cantu's custard gel, Shea Mositure (green tube) gel, As I AM Curling Jelly, Umberto Giannini Curl Jelly - in the pink tube - did not like that at all lol, boots pink curl creme, again didn't like that either, think that's all?
    some gels are known not to give a crunchy cast.  I am unfortunately  unfamilar with  those gels so I am unsure.   Hopefully someone on here might know.

I also suggest searching naturally curl, /r/curlyhair, or YouTube for "[gel name] cast".  This should pop up some results of others discussing casts using these gels.

P.S. I'm really busy at work for the next three days so can't do the research for you like I normally would.  Sorry! 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

BrittanyM said:
    another suggestion if it's the application and not the gel:  smasters method.  basically you diffuse your hair to a certain point and add more gel before you finish drying.  I get my best casts with this method. 

BrittanyM said:
    another suggestion if it's the application and not the gel:  smasters method.  basically you diffuse your hair to a certain point and add more gel before you finish drying.  I get my best casts with this method. 
    Ooo thank you I haven't tried that, as I normally air dry but maybe just before its finished I can add more gel thank you
    BrittanyM said:
    Ooo thank you I haven't tried that, as I normally air dry but maybe just before its finished I can add more gel thank you
    There are a bunch of Youtubes about smasters that give good tips :)   good luck and if you try, let us know how it goes! 

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    This will happen to me if my hair is overmoisturized or has build-up, in case you think either one of these would apply.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    Therese1 said:
    This will happen to me if my hair is overmoisturized or has build-up, in case you think either one of these would apply.
    Nope, I clarify my hair once a month and it's not showing signs of buildup so its not that... when my hair is over moisturized it makes my waves none defined and fluffy which also isnt the case lol Ive just bought the LA looks gel which seems to be popular for a cast so I'm going to try that on Sunday and will let everyone know lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file