What did you do to your hair today? Week of Feb. 4

Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
Today we have a dew point of -32C - eek!  I wonder how frizzy my hair will end up at the end of the day.

I have discovered that when I see my hair is frizzy when wet, that means I have hard water build up.  I took care of that yesterday, and it's much butter now!

What's going on with your hair?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    toned my hair with JOICO purple shampoo, did a k pak treatment, used the GVP Conditioning Balm to offset the drying protein... offset it a bit.
    Used As I Am GroYogurt Leave in and SM Curl Enhancing Smoothie.
    My hair is so soft, shiny, and bouncy. Only thing is my hair line is a bit frizzy due to my little boy cat wallowing on my face, head, chest last night. He managed to knock the satin scarf off my head a few times.
    Oh and for interest sake, I used to think I had hard water. Recently did a study on the local water systems and I have soft water. Now I can't imagine what hard water feels like.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited February 2019
    Even though I am whining that I think I need a polyquat free gel to get day 2 hair, I am experiencing pretty good DAY 3 hair!  It could be because I have only left my apartment to take my dogs out or get coffee/food across the street.

Sunday was my wash day.  I didn't skimp on gel this time and did the smasters method, with just gel.  I also used Curl Junkie's Smoothing lotion leave in instead leaving some rinse out in.  Yesterday and today I wet my hair with praying hands and then put a little gel in and diffused.  

@BrittanyM -that's fascinating!  I keep meaning to buy a test to check my water
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
    @tinksaysboo, don't bother purchasing anything. Go to the website of the water company you have, and look for a consumer confidence report. The water company is required to do yearly tests and publish this data. On the report, look for hardness or calcium/magnesium content. Anything over 60 mg/L is hard water.
    If you can't find the report on your company's website, they may buy their water from somewhere else. In which case, go to that company's website if you know the origin or call your company and ask where to find the report.
    I do know that Washington tends to have decently hard water supposedly, but of course, things vary rather easily.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    @BrittanyM smart!  And thank you for explaining how to tell because I am looking at this data like wtf!   But, there is nothing labeled with "hard" "calcium" or "magnesum" so I called the water quality line.  Kind of ridiculous it's not that easy to find! 

Can you tell? http://www.seattle.gov/util/MyServices/Water/Water_Quality/WaterQualityAnnualReport/WaterQualityResults/index.htm 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

I am pretty impressed!  They called me back within hours and left a voicemail letting me know our water is pretty soft and even where and how to find that information! 

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Washed my hair today and deep conditioned. My hair still felt kind of dry after DCing, but I had somewhere to be and wasn't able to leave it in as long as I want.

Hair turned out OK, but I had to put my hat on (it was about 0 degrees F here) to get to my acupuncture appointment, and then had to lie down on the table for 40 minutes, and then go back out in the cold with my hat on. So needless to say, my hair doesn't look so good.

I'm a little unhappy with my recent haircut. I had her do fewer layers and not cut it as short. I think I was mistaken on both counts. :( I'm trying to decide whether to contact her to see if she can tweak it or whether I should just wear it for a couple of months and then go in for a completely new cut.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
    I look up Seattle's report out of interest. You guys test for a lot more than we do. And you have approximately 9-10 mg/L it looks like. And you test quarterly so way to go Seattle. I found this report which may be where they directed you, www.seattle.gov/util/MyServices/Water/Water_Quality/WaterQualityAnalyses/index.htm
    2nd report of 2018 had a hardness value that when converted is 21.4 mg/L which is still soft. The reports have Cedar info on the left and Tolt info on the right. 
    So yeah, Seattle's water is soft so no hard water for you.
    edited February 2019
    @BrittanyM thanks for looking into it!  I am curious what hard water would do to my hair.  Yea, Seattle is really big on things like that

@Guide 65 - I used One Condition today.  If hops are a protein, it's a protein my hair is fine with. 

I am having a pretty awesome hair day.  I've recently learned I need to put in enough gel, and work it so that my hair is slippery, like conditioner, all over.  I repeated the smaters method like last wash day.  I even got more root curl than usual!  Sadly, I decided to go to the office and put on a hat since it snowed and it's cold.  mush curl life.  I really feel for you curlies who live in cold weather like this daily during the winter!  It sucks, I'm sorry :( 

edited February 2019
    I could have gone a 3rd day today.  I think the MAP method is making a huge difference.  Thank you @Guide 65 for vouching for it!  

I didn't go a 3rd day because I really wanted to try ArcAngel which arrived earlier this week.   I definitely used too much.  But too much didn't weigh down my curls but instead that too much gel feel in areas, especially the roots.  But aside from that, I like the way my hair looks, and mostly feels. It's controlling the frizz and curl nicely while keeping my hair bouncy.  And it is soft in the non-gelly areas.   It did leave a bit of halo frizz after I diffused it for a bit so I did a smasters and that took care of it (but probably why I have too much gel on the roots since I used a lot to begin with)

There is something weird about it though.  It seemed to start drying my hair once I put it on.   It felt super weird in my hair. I can't even explain the feeling; it almost reminded me of the puckering feeling after sucking a lemon, but its your hair puckering.   I didn't get the slick I am use to (one of the reasons I used too much, I was trying to get it) But, by the time I was done scrunching the excess water out, it looked really curly!  My curls don't start to really show until it's bout 20% dry.   I didn't really keep track of time, but  I feel I was able to diffuse it dry quicker than normal.   

I am going to try KCCC for the first time my next wash. I needed to clarify today but didn't have time to DC which is essential when I clarify. 

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo, yay!  I'm glad its working for you!

That puckery feeling you have is called flash freezing.  I used to get it using UDG, but not anymore.  Once your hair is properly hydrated and balanced, it tends to go away.  Try adding more water to get the slip back, or have a spray bottle with some conditioner/water mix in the shower and spray that on. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • amzoun95amzoun95 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 2 Curl Neophyte

I was in Tokyo last week and decided to get a haircut at the salon that was 3 doors down from the vacation rental where I stayed near Shin-Okachimachi station. Here's their website: http:www.proudhair.com.

They have three salons, and the one I went to was the Proud Honten (main branch). I just walked in and a stylist was available. It was 4500 yen (wash, cut, blow dry, flat iron). They happened to be having a "campaign" for new customers so I got a 50% discount. I got my daughter to get her hair cut too at half price one hour later.

As far as price goes, 4500 yen was not the low end, maybe more in the middle. In Kichijoji, there was a street full of hair salons and they were advertising haircuts for 6000-7000 yen.

I can speak Japanese, but if you don't, it'd be better to draw a picture or bring a photo of how you want your hair cut. I got a haircut in Paris too. Though I know some French, I brought a picture of two possible styles. In both cases, the haircut came out great, and it was an enriching experience. I highly recommend it!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file