Share your CGM progress!

LizardQueenLizardQueen Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
So I've been CGM for about 2 months and I thought it would be fun if we could all share our progress, some current favorite products, and some of the most important things we've learned about our hair! I'll start!

The first photo is a few months before CGM, when I was bleaching and heat styling constantly. The second photo is yesterday! Both are air dried. The biggest thing I've learned is that my hair craves moisture, when it's dry it loses its wave and goes super puffy. I've also learned patience is a virtue, it was so rough starting out and it still is sometimes but sticking it out has made a world of a difference in my hair. I know it has a long way to go, but I'm so happy with the progress I've made so far.
Products I use:
Devacurl Low poo and one condition
Ouidad curl amplifying foam
Devacurl Arc Angel gel
Shea Moisture Pumpkin seed oil
I also sometimes use the NYM naturals!

Comments

• BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 37 Curl Connoisseur

(By the way: I am not a capybara, I just wanted to cover my face on the internet  :D )
    @LizardQueen I love this thread idea! It's crazy how our waves and curls can be so mistreated and still come back looking great!
    The top photo is from late August when I just started treating my hair well. Some of my products had silicones all the way up to early November (it was the Aragan oil of Morroco shampoo that I thought was CG friendly) but that first day I was shocked at the amount of 'curl' my hair had. When I was very young I had around a 2c/3a curl that eventually went straight so seeing waves was crazy to me! Other than aggressively brushing my hair a million times a day and occasionally blow-drying or straightening for more 'sleekness' my hair wasn't chemically or heat damaged. 
    The bottom photo was from the other day. I cut my hair short late December, but my hair was to my lower chest previously. In these months, I've seen my 2A waves flourish! For a long time in this journey, I exclusively wore my hair in buns to hide what felt like 'fake curls'. I had some curl envy, but I'm finally feeling confident in what I have. 

My *very* new routine (as of the last two weeks, so I'm still trying it out)
    Shampoo- Pacifica Salty Waves
    If clarifying- Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis Avacado Smoothing mask (very little used, rinse out and not an actual mask unless I clarify)
    Current styler- ECO Styler Krystal Gel
    I plop for 5-15 minutes, let air dry for a little while, diffuse (pixie diffusing) 
    I use either Aragan Oil or Frizz-Ease Hair Serum to Scrunch Out The Crunch
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

• LizardQueenLizardQueen Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 6 Curl Neophyte
    @BarelyThereWavyHair You have gorgeous waves!!! I had 2c-3a (that I aggressively brushed as well) growing up (although it has ALWAYS been straight at the root, which is interesting), they became weighed down with all the silicones (you know, those "straightening" shampoos and conditioners, then brushing it as much as I could to try to make it straight and putting a million serums in that are basically just pure silicone. My poor hair.) and came completely out when I fried my hair (which I've been doing since I was 12, then the super bleach blonde for 6 years a few years after that) I'm curious to see what my hair will do, or if it will ever go that wavy/curly again! I find myself with hair envy too, I see all those beautiful bouncy curls and waves and feel a little disappointed in mine at times since they aren't like that. I was super set on getting my 2c/3a curls back when I started, I saw a few people (who had healthy hair to start with) have results really quickly and I thought it would be a quick fix. It wasn't and I was super bummed about it, a lot of times when I first started my hair wouldn't even be able to hold on to enough moisture to clump or do anything but puff out. It's slowly getting there, now though. I think even if my 2c/3a curls never come back, I'm okay with that. I think it's important to embrace what we have, and love our hair the way it is- whether we go wavier over time or not. I love the curly girl method because it's all about self-love and embracing the way we are naturally, to stop fighting our hair and learn to love our unique texture! There's so much variation when it comes to wavy/curly hair and no two heads of hair are the same and I think that's amazing! 
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 37 Curl Connoisseur
    @LizardQueen I totally agree! I've also learned that hair texture can change throughout someone's life pretty drastically (here is an NPR article about it- https://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=102074149) so honestly, it's hard to know what to expect throughout our hair journey. Whatever my hair decides to do, I have learned to accept it and go along the ride with it!
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

• KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 36 Curl Connoisseur
    So I've been CGM for about 2 months and I thought it would be fun if we could all share our progress, some current favorite products, and some of the most important things we've learned about our hair! I'll start!

The first photo is a few months before CGM, when I was bleaching and heat styling constantly. The second photo is yesterday! Both are air dried. The biggest thing I've learned is that my hair craves moisture, when it's dry it loses its wave and goes super puffy. I've also learned patience is a virtue, it was so rough starting out and it still is sometimes but sticking it out has made a world of a difference in my hair. I know it has a long way to go, but I'm so happy with the progress I've made so far.
    Products I use:
    Devacurl Low poo and one condition
    Ouidad curl amplifying foam
    Devacurl Arc Angel gel
    Shea Moisture Pumpkin seed oil
    I also sometimes use the NYM naturals!
    Omg your hair (and you) are gorgeous!!!! 
  • KerrBearrxoKerrBearrxo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 36 Curl Connoisseur
    edited February 2019
    I've been doing the CG Method since May 2018, so coming up to a year now. Gosh it's hard to find the products you need to use...but I think I'm finally there (I hope) but then I always see a new product and give it a go, and realise it doesn't work for me to end up going back to Cantu's line every time - seems to be the best one that gives me definition.

The first pics are from before CG and the second are from October/November last year - so about 5-6 months into CG method and the last pics are from January this year. My hair had a lot of damage from all the straightening and brushing and colouring it's had, so I expect it's going to take me a long time before my curls reach their full potential. I'm hoping a good 2 years and they should be fine. I've also noticed my hair is growing super fast now as well without all the breakage! 

The main issues I struggle with straight bits after 2/3 days of washing as I only wash my hair twice a week. Before CG I washed it once a week (my hair is reallllly thick so it doesn't go greasy) I avoid diffusing because it just doesn't work for me and still takes about an hour to dry and I can't be bothered lol.

The first stage of CG I was using the Noughty products, cheap, affordable but did nothing to help my definition, I don't think their products were heavy enough for my hair. 

Second stage of CG I was using Shea Moisture products, they were okay and better than Noughty but still didn't give me much definition.

My stage at the moment I use Cantu's gel and cream with their shampoo and conditioner, cheap and works like a dream, can't find anything to rival it at the moment.

Before CG:

6 months into CG:

7.5ish (lol) months into CG:
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    @KerrBearrxo, your hair is beautiful in all the pictures!
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Guide 65 said:
    @KerrBearrxo, your hair is beautiful in all the pictures!
    aww thank you! Still not where I want it to be yet though lol

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file