How to define/refresh day 2/3 2b, 2c, 3a hair?

oceankascurlsoceankascurls Curl ConnoisseurPosts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
edited February 2 in Curly Hairstyles

I recently got a curly cut, my hair was defined and healthy, i was told i had thick, 2b, 2c, 3a hair. After washing it myself my hair is limp and undefined? not as bad as it was before the cut but still. I used mainly the same products as the stylist and did exactly as she told me but im quite unhappy, i loved how curly my hair was after my cut. When wet, my hair is very curly but the top layer dries frizzy and wavy, even stright, while the bottom is curly. I also have to wet and diffuse my hair every morning because overnight my hair will loose all definiton and volume and just stick out randomly. How do i define my hair? how do i refresh it in the morning? is it bad to wet and diffuse in the shower without washing? is it bad to diffuse every morning? will diffusing make it straight? i currently was twice a week but shampoo once, i shampoo(lush 'BIG" sea salt) condition(innersence hydrating conditioner cream) foam(innersence i create lift) then diffuse, add foam, and diffuse until dry, then add hairspray. is this too much? too little? too often? not often enough? should i try a clarifying shampoo? sorry this was super long.

2B, 2C, 3A | low porosity | high density | medium-course

Shower Products:
Conditoner: Innersense Hydrating Cream
Cleanser: Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Clarifying Shampoo: Noughty Detox Dynamo
Deep Conditioner: Nougthty To The Rescue

Styling Products:
Volumizing Foam: Innersense 'I Create Lift'
Cream: Davroe Curl Creme Definer
Finishing Spray: Innersense 'I Create Finish'(looking for a new one)
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious/Curl Junkie Pattern Pusha

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    I would avoid the Lush shampoo.  Most of Lush is not CG, and all the salts will dry out your hair.  The Innersense products are very good.  I use Innersense I Create Volume before my gel, and it gives me really good definition.  Lots of people like the Quiet Calm Curl Control too. 

For refreshing, I do about the same as you.  I dampen my hair, and partially diffuse.  Sometimes I add a little leave in or gel.  Wetting and diffusing every day is fine, but try to go easy on the diffusing, use a low heat setting and be careful not to overdry your hair.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Curl Virtuoso Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer

oceankascurls
    said:

I also have to wet and diffuse my hair every morning because overnight my hair will loose all definiton and volume and just stick out randomly. How do i define my hair? how do i refresh it in the morning? is it bad to wet and diffuse in the shower without washing? is it bad to diffuse every morning? will diffusing make it straight? 

How are you sleeping?  I find putting my hair in a pineapple or a hair buff helps retain a lot of curl definition from the night before.  Everyone is different (even if your curls look and sound the same), so you have to experiment for yourself. 

I refresh the same as you, wet my hair  and use a diffuser.  Sometimes I put a little leave in or gel depending how it looks.   I use my diffuser every day.  It makes a huge difference in waves vs curls for me.  As long as you aren't using a brush, diffusing every day won't straighten your curls, not at all.  Diffusing, for many curlies, makes their hair curlier. 

What it might do though, is cause it to be a bit more dry/frizzy than if you didn't use it.  It's a risk I am personally willing to take because I rather have well defined curls with a little frizz than not very well defined curls.    I use medium heat on low speed.  I would use low if I could, since it will cause less frizz, but my hair takes so long to dry that I simply don't have the patience

.oceankascurls said:

i currently was twice a week but shampoo once, i shampoo(lush 'BIG" sea salt) condition(innersence hydrating conditioner cream

) foam(innersence i create lift) then diffuse, add foam, and diffuse until dry, then add hairspray. is this too much? too little? too often? not often enough? should i try a clarifying shampoo? sorry this was super long.

I agree with @Guide 65 about the Lush Shampoo. I would actually consider your shampoo a clarifying shampoo.  Maybe keep it in your shower for when you need to clarify. 

When you say you wash twice a week but shampoo only once, but are you using to wash the other day?

@Guide 65 thank you so much! are there any other tricks you have forgeting more volume anyd curl out of your wavy hair? but yeah I'm gonnna try buy a different shampoo, shame it was really expensive.

Have you tried/looked up plopping? 

P.S. don't let the price of a product fool you.  There are drugstore brands whose ingredients are the same, if not better, than some high ends.    It's all about ingredients and learning to read them :) 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Answers

• oceankascurlsoceankascurls Curl Connoisseur Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @Guide 65 thank you so much! are there any other tricks you have forgeting more volume anyd curl out of your wavy hair? but yeah I'm gonnna try buy a different shampoo, shame it was really expensive.

Shower Products:

Styling Products:

• Guide 65Guide 65 Curl Virtuoso Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    My volume trick is to use dry shampoo.  I love Batiste, but it's not CG.  I don't care - I use it anyway.  But there are other dry shampoos out there that are CG.  And to get more curl, I clip my hair during air drying.  It helps to support the curls while they're wet and being dragged down by the weight of the water.  Look up "root clipping for volume" on youtube.  There are all kinds of different methods, so watch a few different videos.  I like rainbow clipping personally.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • oceankascurlsoceankascurls Curl Connoisseur Posts: 32Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    @tinksaysboo thank you so much this is so helpful!, by washing twice a week but shampooing once i mean that on monday i wash with conditoner and shampoo and on fridays i just use conditioner, and i style both days. Got rid of my lush shampoo! ordered a jessicurl one online that i had heard good things about. My hair is kinda bad at the moment though because i tried finger coiling to get more curl but ended up with limp soggy hair less curly than normal. Hoping i can get my hair back to normal soon.

Shower Products:

Styling Products:

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Curl Virtuoso Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo thank you so much this is so helpful!, by washing twice a week but shampooing once i mean that on monday i wash with conditoner and shampoo and on fridays i just use conditioner, and i style both days. Got rid of my lush shampoo! ordered a jessicurl one online that i had heard good things about. My hair is kinda bad at the moment though because i tried finger coiling to get more curl but ended up with limp soggy hair less curly than normal. Hoping i can get my hair back to normal soon.
    Which shampoo did you purchase?  When you got your hair done, did they use any gel?    A gel is typically more preferable for curl hold than hairspray.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
    @tinksaysboo i haven't tried plopping yet, i've just used the noughty detox clarifying shampoo (i know other curlies who use it) and i found it really good, so cheap as well! I also ordered a jessicurl one online for more regular use as i've heard using a clarifying shampoo too often is bad. I will try plopping but my hair is very short, so i usually just sleep on it normally and then wet and diffuse every morning, I'd love something to preserve my curls overnight.

Shower Products:

Styling Products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file