Need Gel Recommendations with Strict Parameters

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
Happy Tuesday, Curlies!

I am hoping you guys can help cut down some research time by recommending any gels off the top of your head that meet the following criteria.

Needs to be:
  • CGM Friendly
  • Strong Hold
Can't Have:
  • Coconut Oil
  • Protein
  • Green Tea
  • Polyquats 
2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 29
    Any thoughts on the following:

• DevaCurl's ARC ANGEL GEL
    • Kinky-Curly Curling Custard

Specifically what did you think of the hold and build up?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• Therese1Therese1 Posts: 2,563Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I think that ArcAngel has protein. The ingredients list on Ulta shows protein.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    Therese1 said:
    I think that ArcAngel has protein. The ingredients list on Ulta shows protein.
    Interesting.  I checked the ingredients at the deva website and according to that, it doesn’t have protein!

ive seen arc angel on protein free lists so I think Ulta might be wrong!

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Ecoslay Orange Marmalade is one that's being raved about in one of my FB groups.  I've ordered it, but still waiting on shipping.  A lot of people are using this as a one-and-done product - nothing else needed.  It fits all your parameters. 

I've never tried Arc Angel, but I've heard it's protein-free.  It doesn't have the following that UDG has though.  I've tried KCCC and didn't like it.  Well...I did when I first went CG, then it stopped working and has never worked for me again.  It doesn't have great hold even though it does get crunchy after drying.  It's probably better as an enhancer.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Eco Styler gel fits, but I would buy a tiny amount to try out. It’s cheap but not very moisturizing. I used to love this gel now I am just trying to use it all up. It’s a jelly consistency so not good if you want a more liquid gel.
    @Guide 65 -- can't wait to hear your thoughts!    Interesting about KCCC.  I've heard mixed things about the hold.  I feel like I need the crunchy cast, but it could be I just haven't used the right gel that doesn't give a cast?  

@BrittanyM  - I am not sure I have a preference to texture yet, but something I will keep in mind.  I'll have to pick some up if I ever come across it.  One of my struggles is I commute by public transportation and there are very stores that are "on the way".  So going to say Sephora for a specific product is a is a whole trip (Ulta an even longer schlep).  I dread the idea of having to take trips to random stores only for them not to carry what I am looking for  :'(

I have contacted both Ulta & Deva Curl about Arc Angel's ingredient list.  Trying Arc Angel is most convenient for me as if it doesn't work I can return it to Ulta (I never use to return products until CGM, but dang it gets expensive if you have hair that clearly hates certain products).

Yay for calling out companies on twitter!  Guaranteed quick response

Deva responded saying no formulation of ArcAngel has ever contained protein.  The DevaCurl website is the accurate listing. 

@BrittanyM, which version of Eco Styler are you referring to? All the ones I have seen have protein. :(
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    @tinksaysboo, interesting about ArcAngel! If you try it out, let us know how it goes. 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    @Therese1, you are very right! It does have protein. You would think as much as I read ingredients list while on the toilet, I would have noted that. For some reason, I thought it didn't. @tinksaysboo, sorry for trying to ruin your hair. It was an accident!
    @BrittanyM  haha its ok!  I do it all the time!  It's one of the reasons I use the is it cg website instead of just trusting my eyes

@Therese1 will do!   Gel is the one product I really haven't experimented much with (i've only used one other since going curly) so I feel super nervous! haha

@BrittanyM, who needs magazines in the bathroom when you have ingredient lists? Lol!
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Stimulator might work also! I haven't tried Deva Arc Angel so I can't compare, but UFD does fit your parameters and I've been using for the last few months and I love it! 
  • BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Posts: 37Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    Happy Tuesday, Curlies!

I am hoping you guys can help cut down some research time by recommending any gels off the top of your head that meet the following criteria.

Needs to be:
    • CGM Friendly
    • Strong Hold
    Can't Have:
    • Coconut Oil
    • Protein
    • Green Tea
    • Polyquats 
    I'm really into ECO Krystal right now but it has protein. A gel I have used (not currently using) that I pretty sure fits all the requirements is the Garnier Pure Clean gel. It's around 3-5 bucks depending on where you get it and has a pretty strong hold as long as you apply it in decent sections with a good amount in each section. It also makes Squish To Condish really easy to get the gel in your hair. 
    Here are the ingredients in case I messed it up :) -
    AQUA / WATER / EAU, SORBITOL, GLYCERIN, DEHYDROXANTHAN GUM, BENZYL ALCOHOL, LITHIUM MAGNESIUM SODIUM, SILICATE, PARFUM / FRAGRANCE, LIMONENE, CITRONELLOL, LINALOOL, ACACIA SENEGAL / ACACIA, SENEGAL GUM, F.I.L. D43847/2
    2a/2b wavy hair 
    Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
    Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
    Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
    Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
    Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
    **Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
    "Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

A gel I have used (not currently using) that I pretty sure fits all the requirements is the Garnier Pure Clean gel. 
    I actually had a bottle of this in my bathroom from when  I fist started CGM.  I used it on wash day Friday(where I was forced to air dry instead of using my diffuser like normal) and refreshed with it yesterday.  I have a hard time SCOTC with it (admittedly, my hair doesn't SCOTC as well when it air drys), particularly on refresh day.  On refresh day, it brought my hair back to the horror of my transition!  My curls were stiff, they felt like they had gel on it, and I was trying to SCOTC all day.   It's helped keep hold on my curl definition,  but I want more frizz control I think.

cnic216 said:
    Uncle Funky's Daughter Curl Stimulator might work also! I haven't tried Deva Arc Angel so I can't compare, but UFD does fit your parameters and I've been using for the last few months and I love it! 
    does UFD give you a cast?  ArcAngel is marketed as a "no crunch styler".  I feel like the cast makes a difference, but maybe its all in my head.

P.S. to everyone who has been super helpful.  Thank you!  I just found out that my DC & winter curl cream have polyquats low on the list.  I'm actually happy with my hair on wash day and I am kind of getting sick of experimenting, so I think I am going to just try to go polyquat free/low with a new gel and leave it at that.  We will see what kind of difference that makes and go from there haha  

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,984Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Why are you avoiding polyquats?  Is it just the building up issue?  Personally, I just use whatever works and if it builds up, I clarify.  I have not found any combination of products that don't build up, so I just deal with it as it happens.  Trying to avoid certain ingredients just ends in endless frustration for me. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    @Guide 65  - yes that is the reason.  After seeing how many of my favorite products have polyquats (and products I would like to try), I am thinking that polyquat free hair diet might not be for me.  I think my 2019 hair goal is finding a good wash/clarify routine. 

I am interested in at least trying a polyquat free gel though, and here is why.   The reason I struggle with 2nd day hair is build up. By day two, my hair struggles absorb any new product, but it needs more moisture and it needs more gel.  

• cnic216cnic216 Posts: 157Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    cnic216 said:
    does UFD give you a cast?  ArcAngel is marketed as a "no crunch styler".  I feel like the cast makes a difference, but maybe its all in my head.

Yes, UFD does give me a pretty good cast that I have to scrunch out. Even when I refresh with just a light misting of water I'll get good cast. I agree with you, a good cast lets me know that the gel is holding! 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file