Suggestions for my 2a routine?

BarelyThereWavyHairBarelyThereWavyHair Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 37 Curl Connoisseur
Hello, curlfriends! I have been on my wavy hair journey since September but didn't get rid of all the silicones until November/December. It was a hard time to start this journey as winters in the Midwest basically make my hair straight. Below zero temperatures are not a wavy girl's friend. My routine (as I finally figured out how to put under my comments says) consists of the Pacifica salty waves shampoo and then a new purchase of mine, the avocado Garnier mask. I use a really small amount of it as not to overdo my hair. I have been using the Garnier pure clean gel, (silicone free finally) but I recently got ECO Styler gel (the Krystal one) because I need some mega hold in the winter. Also: I have hard water. Not much I can do about it, but I know it has an effect. I wash, and then but the gel on. I blot really gently with a cotton t-shirt to get excess gel off and then wrap my tubie-tubran up for 5-10 minutes. Because it's so cold, I diffuse. Any things I could change to make it better?
2a/2b wavy hair 
Shampoo- Hask Coconut Milk & Honey Curl Care (Experimenting w/ this)
Clarifying Shampoo- Suave Daily Clarifying (once every 2-4 weeks)
Conditioner- Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Mask (Avacado)
Styler- ECO Gel (Krystal), Garnier Pure Clean Gel
Open to suggestions/help with my temperamental waves!
**Couldn't really think of anything else to cover my face in my profile pic so I went w/ a Capybara**
"Qué estás haciendo con tu pelo?"-My grandma

Best Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    Winter can be so difficult for curls!  What I'm doing this winter is using more of everything.  In the summer, I try to use as little product as I can.  But I'm using more conditioner, curl enhancer and gel right now.  I get a little weighed down, but at least it tames the frizzies.

For hard water, you can use Ion hard water shampoo (from Sallys) or Malibu hard water shampoo (amazon?) to get rid of the hard water deposits.  It's strong shampoo, so don't use it often. 

Diffusing is something I do all year round.  I only diffuse for a few minutes, but it really helps to set the gel so it holds my waves and curls while it's drying. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    Accepted Answer
    You might want to consider doing a deep conditioning treatment, that is, leaving your conditioner on your hair for, say, 15 or so minutes. I would try doing this every other week. With the really dry weather, this will help keep your hair moisturized. I have extremely fine hair, and I was skeptical at first (I thought it would make my hair flat), but it really helps.

Some people have luck with using a rinse of apple cider vinegar and water to get rid of the mineral deposits from the hair.

I used to use a clarifying shampoo from Avalon Organics (Lemon, I think) that I think was supposed to get rid of mineral build-up. It might be worth a try.

I'm not sure how much salt is in the Salty Waves product, but it might be drying to your hair in the winter. I use sea salt spray a lot in the summer, and it doesn't dry out my very fine hair, but in the winter, it does dry out my hair. Just something to be aware of. :)
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file