Curly Girl Method Product Question!

sarajay13sarajay13 Posts: 17Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
I recently got my hair trimmed and styled by a deva certified stylist who specializes in the curly girl method (the salon had a few copies of the book, I didn't even know there was a physical book!) and while my cut was super cute I was left a little uncomfortable and sad with the hard product sales pitch she made during the entire cut. She of course asked what products I use in my hair and I went thru my really basic routine of "deva curl co-wash and style with the kinky curly knot today and kinky curly curl custard, then air dry" which has been my go-to routine for almost 9 months now. She assured me that KC products have -cones in them and that I needed to switch entirely to devacurl products (that are about twice the price). I immediately looked up the ingredients and didn't see any dimethicone or other -cones in the products and after a few quick searches I've seen the KC products on CGM-friendly lists. Am I missing something? Are there hidden -cones in KC? Can anyone on the CGM help me out here? Was she just trying to upsell me on products? I'm really bummed about this because I don't want to switch! (and sadly even tho the cut was cute I think I'll be trying a different stylist I'll feel more at-east with, I really don't like tough-sell approaches) 
3a/b
High Porosity, Medium/Coarse, Medium/High Density
coming back from severe damage caused by hair dye allergy
pretty sure I just ruined my hair accidentally with spray foam in April 18  :'(
Modified CGM starting Feb 2018
-------------------------------------------
Cleanser: Kinky Curly Come Clean
Co-Wash: Deva Curl One Condition Decadence 
Leave In: Kinky Curly Knot Today
Stylers: Kinky Curly Curl Custard
Refresh: Deva Curl Set It Free

Best Answer

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 23 Accepted Answer
    That woman does not know she was talking about.  I think some stylist just assume if it's drugstore it's full of silicons. Based on your signature, all your KC products are  CG approved.

You can easily tell if an ingredient is silicone because they all end in -cone and -xane.  I usually run the ingredients through http://www.isitcg.com/ just in case I missed one.  That site categorizes ingredients by type (silicone, proteins, humanists, alcohols, ect) and also lets you know if the product is CG friendly.  That being said, the quality of ingredients are  better in DevaCurl line than the Kinky Curl line. 

Also - I vaguely remember seeing that some of their products (not from the main line or the top sellers) aren't all CGM approved, so it's always good to check DevaCurl products just in case as well.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Answers

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,218Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    Kinky Curly is CG. She probably confused it with another brand as not all natural hair brands are CG. Don’t switch products if you don’t want to. Always be honest that you like the products you use and if you ever experience issues, you’ll consider it. Leave it at that. Some stylists are just really dedicated/ brainwashed to their brands that they believe nothing else works.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file