What did you do to your hair today? Week of Jan. 21

Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
I think I found a solution to my frizzy-when-wet issue.  I'm still using the same conditioner as always, but I'm applying a lot more of it.

First I tried rinsing less out, but I really need the water that I get during rinsing.  And then I thought I'd try a heavier conditioner, but my hair really doesn't do well with the other conditioners I have.  So this morning I realized that I normally apply as little conditioner as possible to avoid getting weighed down. Works great in the spring/summer/fall, but it's just not working in winter. So today I used a lot more, and my hair seems to like it!  I'll just have to remember to go back to using a little when the weather eases up. 

What's going on with your hair?
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65  do you find that using your conditioner as leave in produces different results when you rinse and leave some in compared to rinsing all the way out and putting some back in?

I purchased the MAP Method course and started Saturday.  I already feel a bit more aware of my hair, but haven't seen any change in my hair.  In fact, my halo is pretty bad today which is extremely frustrating since the MAP method is supposed to help with that.  I can't tell if it's worse than normal though.   My frizz never looks that bad until I take a picture (and I rarely attempt to take pictures), and then it's like WHOA!   Sometimes I wonder if people see what I see with my eyes or what the camera captures. 

My goal this week is to figure out the right amount of leave in and how to distribute my gel  for best results (I have found I need to be heavy handed on some areas and not on others).  I am hoping this will help with the frizz. 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo - So glad you signed up for MAP!  Give it a month or two - it takes some time to figure out the best way your hair.  And sign up for the FB group too.  There's lots more training and help in there, and you'll see some of the most beautiful hair ever among the members!

There is a big difference between leaving in my conditioner vs rinsing it all out and putting something else back in.  For one thing, I LOVE my One condition.  Nothing else compares, even pre-CG.  Plus, I need to combine my leave in with a LOT of water.  I feel like it's really wasteful in both product and time to condition, rinse, then repeat the entire process with another conditioner. 
    Current products:
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    @Guide 65  - no facebook. I might quietly reactivate it just to join and watch videos and then deactivate when done =P

I went into the office today so I decided to wash and not attempt a refresh day (with the amount of moisturizer I need to get through winter, refresh days are almost impossible with the speed of my build up).  I decided to concentrate on my back with the MAP Method as it seems most of my frizz was coming from there.  Defiantly saw great results this morning!  If I can make these kind of tiny improvements each wash, I will be an official believer in the 30 day MAP Method challenge!

It was so windy today I finally wore my satin lined hat I bought but didn't like =P
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Even if you don't sign up for the FB group, if you have problems you can always ask Scott.  He's very responsive, either through the course or email.  I love that he encourages us to work with what we have and not go out and buy a ton of new products, and to be accepting of our own hair and what it will do, and not compare our hair to others.
    Current products:
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    You could create a fake Facebook account. Just choose a name that sounds real and upload a picture of something you like as your profile. Facebook shouldn’t recognize you as being fake doing this.
    my hair is so dry. Did my normal wash routine with SM protein treatment so maybe that’s what did it. Oh well. It’s pulled back today and probably will Ben wore up all week.
    I actually have a fake account for my dog.  I haven’t logged into it for a good 5+ years though and don’t even remember the email.

tody is refresh day.  I wet my hair last night with some leave in then slept in a buff.  I refreshed with just gel thinking that it’s using heavier products that’s causing my day two frizz.  I’m happy to report im having a decent refresh day.  But, I think this is due to applying the gel with the MAP method.  There is still frizz screaming “give me moisture!”.  I’m going to try refreshing with both a curl cream & gel next time with the same application technique to see if I can get even better results!

• CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    I think my hair is now protein sensitive. I did a protein treatment the other day and my hair felt so so dry. Every time I've used products with protein or aloe high on the ingredient list, my hair has 'flash dried' and turned to frizzy waves. So yesterday I went back to the basics of CG, used my Boucleme cowash, conditioner, did an ACV rinse, used the conditioner as a leave in, and applied the gel upside down. My hair turned out really nice and voluminous !
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 
    edited January 2019
    @CurlyD24 that is what happens to my hair when I use protein & coconut oil!  I took a picture once of the frizz up close when my hair was wet.  It looks & feels so different than normal frizz.

edited January 2019
    I was 100% spacing this morning when I was doing my hair and I ended up finger coiling all of it.  I finger coil the hair at my nape and the right side because they don't curl as much, hold curl as well, clump as much, or get as great curl definition.   Finger coiling the parts of my hair that have strong Type 3 potential results in Shirley Temple ringlets.  Since I am low density, fat ringlets like that make me look like I'm missing chunks of hair in areas :(

BUT, wash day 3 on the MAP Method and I did see a tiny bit of more improvement.  I also tried Curl Junkie's Smoothing Conditoner for the first time.  It's fine, but smells like a dentist office.  I'm going to go back to Deva One Conditioner after I finish up this bottle. 

• CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    @tinksaysboo, that's exactly what my hair does after too much aloe or too much protein! It's so weird. It took me ages to figure out what it was. 

I tried the Briogeo Don't Despair Repair mask today. I was a bit apprehensive because it does contain protein but I think it's mostly moisturising. I loved it - it has amazing slip and it seemed to really plump my curls. 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file