Best natural, affordable, richly moisturizing leave-ins for dry/brittle hair in arid climate?

ThePoetryOf_TressesThePoetryOf_Tresses Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
Hi! I was wondering what, in your experience, has been the best leave-in products for non-coarse and easily-dehydrated hair that's very hydrating and moisturizing (without being greasy, sticky, or gunky), more natural (e.g. no silicones or artificial fragrances or "PEG"-ingredients), and affordable ($10 or less)? I was particularly curious about things such as styling creams, custards, and puddings...things that contain some butters. From my understanding of things, butters are more helpful than oils in preventing dehydration, dryness and brittleness in very dry climates.

One problem I keep finding myself running into is formaldehyde-releasers in products; I'm sensitive to them, and I've noticed that a number of products I've seen for $10 or under contain them. Sometimes the product ingredients looked good aside from the presence of the formaldehyde.

Thank you so much! Have a pleasant day.

Comments

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Have you ever tried homemade flax seed gel?  It's very moisturizing, should be gentle on your scalp, and you know exactly what's in it - only flax seeds and water!  It's really easy to make - just boil some flax seeds and water, then strain.  It's a little yucky to use - it has the texture of egg whites.  But it dries soft and doesn't flake. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • ThePoetryOf_TressesThePoetryOf_Tresses Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 13 Curl Neophyte
    Hi, Guide65! Thank you so much. I tried flaxseed gel in the past and could try it again, but my skin is very sensitive to things unpreserved. I just discovered my hair was coated in layers of buildup which more responsible for the dryness and brittleness than the climate. I never clarified my hair in the past and used a lot of conditioning ingredients on low/lower porosity hair. I found samples on the MopTop website that got me curious about using them, though they do have buildup-prone ingredients (cationic honey, cationic guar...) I was wondering, is it too much to clarify low-porosity hair weekly? I noticed it's often recommended to deep condition curly hair weekly, but wondered if clarifying within the same week would cancel out the effects of the deep treatment (robbing moisture that was brought in), or if deep conditioning low-porosity hair right after clarifying might actually be the more helpful than not -- since you'll be clearing away the residues that could hinder the absorption of moisture before you moisturize (with heat).
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I think most people clarify monthly (give or take).  Personally, I clarify once a week, but I don't have any scalp issues or breaking hair issues.  Monthly might be better for you.  And yes - deep conditioning after clarifying is a great idea!  I get the best results from the DT when my hair is completely clean and gunk-free. 

I forgot to mention in my first post that you should keep the FSG in the fridge, and don't keep it for long.  You can make up a new batch every other week, and throw out the old if you have any left.  Or you could purchase a preservative to use in it - Otiphen is what I've heard, but I have no experience with it.  I would think you'd do better with no preservative, as long as your gel is fresh and kept cold.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file