What did you do to your hair today? Week of Jan. 15

Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
Finally, a new thread!  Sorry for the delay.

It's January and deep winter here, which is the hardest time of the year for me, hair-wise.  I'm starting to notice a lot more frizzing, even while washing.  I tried using more leave in, which just made my hair feel dirty.  I'm not sure what to try next - maybe a different conditioner.  I'm using Deva One now, but I have on hand GVPCB or NYMN in the pink bottle, or Innersense Color Radiance.  I just need to decide which one to try next.  I think Innersense is the only one that has protein, so maybe I'll give that a try again.
Formerly known as Janiegirl
2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
Current products:
Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
Innersense I Create Volume
Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel

Comments

• cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    Did my usual wash and go on Sunday and deep conditioned. My hair has been very dry and frizzy so I had to up my conditioning a little bit. I normally co wash my hair and go straight into a deep conditioner, but this week I co washed, de-tangled with a rinse out conditioner and then deep conditioned after that.

I deep conditioned with the Shea Moisture JBCO Strengthen and Restore. I had never used it before and I had gotten a free sample somewhere. I really loved the results and the way it smells but holy moly was it hard to rinse out! It took forever to rinse out and when I got out of the shower and started to part and style my hair I noticed there still some spots that I missed! I'm still not totally sure if  got it all out...LOL

I went to back to my As I Am leave in and UFD Curly Magic and had awesome results. Lately I've been experimenting with how I sleep. I have a satin pillow case but I've been trying to just pineapple bun my hair and sleep and I've been getting pretty bad day 2 frizz. The last 2 nights I've used a satin cap and my satin pillow case and that has helped a lot with frizz. 

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    I've been sick so just the same for me. Commented so I can follow. Haha.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    I really need to get better at regular clarifying washes.  I don't realize how badly I need to  clarify until after I clarified.

I haven't clarified since I started washing exclusively with JC Hair cleansing cream back in November.  My thought process was now that I am only low pooing, I won't need to clarify as often.   Had a leftover lemon so decided to clarify yesterday. WOW!  what a difference. My hair is so shiny and bouncy!  My build up is so gradual that I seriously don't even realize that my hair is no longer at it's best.  I am pretty easily satisfied it seems... 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    @tinksaysboo, yeah, build-up can kind of creep up on a person like that. I eventually just put myself on a schedule to clarify every 2-3 weeks.

I did a protein treatment on Saturday night because I thought it had been 2 weeks since my last one. But it was a little too much for my hair, because my hair didn't hold its moisture very well for days 2-3. I always forget that in the winter, my hair can't handle as much protein as in the summer.

I also went back to my old Kenra gel, the Kenra Firm-Hold Gel (I've been using the Ultra Freeze Gel). I find that I prefer the firm hold. The ultra one gives a really nice gel cast, and lots of texture, but it also leaves white flakes in my hair. Maybe I'll try mixing the two next time to see what happens.

I've scheduled a haircut for next week. I try to go four months between cuts, but I really need a haircut after three. The shape of my hair just doesn't look as good.
    Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Anyone else finding refresh days are harder in the winter?   I feel like my day 2, my hair has so much build up that it can't retain anything else so I am just layering on top of wash day's products.
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

• CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    Hi everyone :smile:  I haven't posted in here for so long..I moved back to France and things have been hectic since! I hope you all have been doing great. It's nice to be back. 

I've been trying out new European products. For now I am using a sample kit from Bouclème and I am loving the results (except the cleansers, neither one cleans my hair enough). 
    Since my hair has been getting healthier, my porosity has lowered a lot, and I get build-up super fast now. I'm finding it hard to find a balance between avoiding build-up and keeping my hair moisturized in the winter. 
    2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    It’s great that you dropped by, @CurlyD24!
    I am so close to daily wash days.  I am already washing every other day.

I've overall have had really good wash days resulting in a type 3 head of hair lately.  Adjusting to winter has done my hair well. Winter hair for me means 2-3 DC a week (compared to once a week), a cream curl enhancer (I usually avoid creams), and a more moisturizing leave in (I usually use KCKT).  But this is leaving my hair at it's max product capacity, everything is build up after that.  It's also only really giving me one days worth of moisture retention.   

So I am struggling to figure out how to clean up my day 2 halo frizz, clean up sections of lost curl definition, and give it moisture to last a 2nd day without frizzing out.  But all my attempts are resulting in that type of frizz you get with build up.  What's frustrating is I am not waking up with awful hair, it has really just needed minor fixes.  Since I am working from home today, I refreshed with just JC Awe Inspiring Spray.   I can't tell if it looks curly messy or bedhead mess  :D  My goal today is to see how frizzy (or what kind of frizzy) my hair gets without adding additional day 2 products 

@tinksaysboo, yes, I find winter refreshing much harder than summer. I sometimes almost completely wet my hair down for day 3 (just with water from the sink), and add a bit more product, but it's not the same as a wash. And even if my hair looks OK when I get up on day 2, I still have to do something to it, because otherwise it will be dry and limp within the hour. I think that sleeping with my hair in a pineapple helps hold in the moisture, and then when I get up and take my hair out of the pineapple, all the surface area of the hairs is exposed, leading to much more rapid evaporation of whatever moisture remains.
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Hi, @CurlyD24! Nice to see you.

I was thinking of trying the Bouclème gel. Have you tried it?

My hair's porosity lowered also as I took better care of it. It can be tough to avoid build-up, like you say!
    Therese1 said:
    @tinksaysboo, yes, I find winter refreshing much harder than summer. I sometimes almost completely wet my hair down for day 3 (just with water from the sink), and add a bit more product, but it's not the same as a wash. And even if my hair looks OK when I get up on day 2, I still have to do something to it, because otherwise it will be dry and limp within the hour. I think that sleeping with my hair in a pineapple helps hold in the moisture, and then when I get up and take my hair out of the pineapple, all the surface area of the hairs is exposed, leading to much more rapid evaporation of whatever moisture remains.
    I've been having to get my hair wetter and wetter as it gets colder, but I am almost wondering if that is making things worse for later in the day.  I get this mix of dry and frizzy but also limp and greasy  :D

that's an interesting theory about a pineapple helping retain moisture while you sleep, but reacting to the exposure once it's let down.  It makes sense though. 

• CurlyD24CurlyD24 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 83 Curl Connoisseur
    @Therese1 , I love the Boucleme gel ! It's moisturising, lightweight, but it gives me good curl definition and I even get a bit of a cast with it, which I can never achieve with other gels. It's also protein-free and the ingredient list is pretty good. I also really like the lemon scent. The only thing is that it is very runny, and I've noticed that if I scrunch my hair with a tshirt after applying it, I'm basically removing most of the product. So lately I have been scrunching with my hands, then doing a loose plop and only scrunching with the tshirt after 15 mins of plopping. Let me know if you try it ! :smile:

2c/3a hair, with some 2b and 3b pieces. Armpit length, medium porosity, fine. Light brown with blonde and red highlights. CG since January 2018. 
    Shampoo: Camille Rose Ginger Cleansing Rinse 
    Co-wash: MopTop Co-wash 
    Conditioner: Innersense Color Radiance 
    Stylers: Innersense Quiet Calm, Innersense I Create Hold, MopTop Custard 
    Caught a nasty cold so wasn't in the mood to mess with my hair so I just did a quick wash and go.  I am actually pretty happy with my hair.   It's been a long time since I aired dried.

Have a hair appt mid February to get a trim and discuss hair color!  My stylist is in a neighborhood that is a bit of schlep for me so I try to schedule it on a Friday afternoon since I go to a board game night near by.  Mid February is the first Friday afternoon available :(

Will be out soon of that ridiculous expensive BeautyCounter conditioner soon.  Even though it's been great to my hair, I can't justify spending $36 every month on conditioner (that's about how long the 8.9 oz is going to last me I think). Ordered Curl Junkie's Curl Assurance Smoothing Conditioner since I've been wanting to try it for a while. 

• bobbybobby Registered Users Posts: 785 Curl Connoisseur
    Deep condition one day, wash and go the next. Finished off with a perm rod set with white and gray rods: 

2B always with potential of white man's fro

http://www.naturallycurly.com/curltalk/members/bobby-albums-my-album.html

"Curls aren't just for girls"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file