Judge a Product by Its Ingredients, Not Its Name. Week of January 14

tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
For those of you who are new: I will list the ingredients of two products along with some questions.  Your job is to answer those questions based on just the ingredients.    Please share any other observations you might have or some of your reasoning.  It helps us all learn to read ingredients better 

This week's products are brought to you by @Therese1!   Dry shampoo week!  One is a drug store and one is a high end.  Can you tell which?

Product A
Butane, Isobutane, Oryza Sativa (Rice) Starch, Propane, Alcohol Denat, Parfume, Limonene, Linanool, Geranol, Benzyl Benzoate, Distearyldimonium, Cetrimonium Chloride.

Product B
Zea Mays (Corn) Starch , Montmorillonite , Tapioca Starch , Avena Sativa (Oat) Kernel Flour , Silica , Fragrance (Parfum) , Farnesol , Linalool , Benzyl Salicylate , Citronellol , Citral , Limonene , Benzyl Benzoate , Geraniol , Potassium Sorbate.

1. Which one is the drug store and which is high end?
2. Are either of these CGM approved
3. Do either add any type of moisture? 
4. Do you think one over the other would leave the dreaded white powdery reside? 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel

Comments

• cnic216cnic216 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 157 Curl Connoisseur
    I don't have much experience in the dry shampoo department as I've never had a reason to use one, but I'll give it my best guess in the name of fun! So here it goes...

1. I think A is the drug store and B is the highend. 
    2. I don't think A is CGM approved. I don't think Alcohol Denat is CGM. 
    3. No - I'm not seeing any moisturizing ingredients
    4. I think B would have the potential for white residue only because the first few ingredients are vegetable starches and flours. I would think if you use too much it would create the white residue. 

• Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    I'm pretty sure that A is Batiste, because I just recently looked up the ingredients.  It is not CG due to the denatured alcohol.  The butane and isobutane are spray ingredients I think.  Because of the lack of those in B, I'm guess that B is a powder. 

B has silica - I'm not sure if that's the same as a silicone or not.  I suspect it's different.  I think silica is sand, so it must be different.  I've never seen Montmorillonite before - a quick google search and it seems to be a type of clay.  I would say this is CG, assuming that silica is CG. 

I don't think either one is moisturizing - the whole purpose of a dry shampoo is to dry out the hair.  Or at least absorb the oils to give the appearance of dryness. 

Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    All dry shampoo seems the same to me with the exception of an ion one I have (I dislike that one).
    B is high end, possibly DevaCurl. I would say this one is CG friendly.
    A is drugstore but not CG.
    Neither are moisturizing. But I don't expect them to be.
    B would have more white powder I assume.
    Dry shampoo is one of the few products that I use that aren't CG, but I rarely use them anyway.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Dry shampoo looks scary by it's ingredients! 

A was Batiste.  It is not CG as it  contains Alcohol Denat

B was Aveda Shampure is CG!

Thank you again for helping this week @Therese1

Does anyone have requests for next week, such as a specific hair product?
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
    I would like to see a deep conditioner vs a rinse out, or even a leave in compared to one of the others.  I don't really know what constitutes a DT, as far as ingredients. 
    Current products:
    Oops, I guess you already did the DT vs rinse out.  How about a curl cream vs a conditioner?  Or curl cream - high end vs low end.
    Current products:

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file