A little S2C help

RoanlivingRoanliving Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 23 Curl Novice
I struggle with S2C. I know I'm not doing it right because I have a ton of frizz and my hair doesn't appear to be moisturized. I'm really not sure what my porosity is, which I know affects moisture absorption/retention. 
What tips do you have that could help? Are their any blog posts or YouTube videos that helped you? 
(Pic of my hair currently after washing, styling and air drying) 

Low poo: NYMN dark blue 
Conditioner: NYMN dark blue 
Leave in: KCKT (glazed, raked and scrunched) 
Hold: KCCC (glazed and scrunched)  

Comments

• Therese1Therese1 Registered Users Posts: 2,563 Curl Virtuoso
    When I S2C, I start by putting my conditioner on as usual (after washing my hair). I let it sit in my hair for 5 or so minutes while I do other shower stuff. Then when I am ready to rinse I put my hair under the shower stream for just a split second to get some water running down the strands, and I start squishing the ends. I keep repeating this until I feel like my curls are starting to clump well and feel more solid. When I feel like almost all of the conditioner is out, I will put my head under the water stream for a few seconds to make sure that all the conditioner is indeed out (I don't leave any in). When I do this, I cup my curls in my hands so that they don't get harmed by the heaviness of the water.

I think that the Polished Curl has a YouTube video showing this.

I am wondering, though...maybe something else is going on. If you are doing similar to what I described above and are still having problems, then some other troubleshooting is needed.

Have you tried any other conditioners besides NYMN? Your hair might not like that one. Some people also find KCCC finicky and get better results with a regular hard-hold gel.

Some other possibilities:
    . You need to clarify with a sulfate to get rid of build-up.
    . You have low-porosity hair that isn't properly moisturized. Deep conditioning will help this.
    . You have protein-sensitive hair and need to avoid protein for a while (but I think your products are protein free, so maybe you are already doing this).

Low poo: Intelligent Nutrients (IN) Harmonic; Oribe Cleansing Creme
    RO: IN Harmonic
    LI: CJ Beauticurls; Jessicurl (JC) Gelebration Spray
    DC: JC Deep Conditioning Treatment; Weleda Rosemary Conditioning Oil
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
    Low-porosity 2a/b baby-fine hair
  • RoanlivingRoanliving Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 23 Curl Novice
    @Therese1thats super helpful. I think i do have some protein overload froma non CG shamp/condish I was using before. Today was my first day with the NYMN set so I'm not sure how itll work for me. I do need to pick up a DC, I'm not sure which one to try. Any suggestions? 
    I use the Jessicurl Deep Conditioning Treatment. I don't find it to be overly heavy or greasy, and it's protein free so I don't have to worry about it making my hair angry.

I meant to note above that your hair's symptoms could also be caused by *not enough* protein (oftentimes hair looks the same when it has too little protein or not enough, which is maddening). Even if your hair is protein sensitive, you will need some protein every so often. For me, I use one protein-containing product every 2 or 3 weeks. So if it has been a while since you have used protein, you might want to try using one protein-containing product to see if your hair perks up. Or you could use the gelatin protein treatment from the Science-y Hair Blog and see what that does.

So much of learning about your hair is trial and error. It can take a really long time.

And just to double-check...you did a sulfate shampoo before starting the CG method, yes?
    Stylers: JC Confident Coils; IN Volumizing Spray; IN Perfect Hold Hairspray; John Masters Sea Mist; Bumble Bb. Gel; Kenra Firm-Hold Gel; Sevi Blue Yarrow Sea Salt Spray
  • RoanlivingRoanliving Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 23 Curl Novice
    @Therese1i just had to come back and say that your explanation of S2C made a huge difference. I tried it yesterday (after doing a sulfate wash to make sure all cones were gone) and I got some great clumping, minimal frizz and juicy looking hair. Thanks so much for your help! 
    Yay! It's so exciting to discover techniques that really make a difference.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file