Let's talk about trims and scalp massages

RoanlivingRoanliving Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
How often do you get a trim when growing out your hair? 
What are your thoughts on scalp massages with oil? 

I'm trying to get from shoulder length to waist length. Right now I'm scheduled to get a trim every 2 months because I get so bored. I never worry about my stylist taking too much off, she's great for me. I've also tried using righteous roots oil before but didn't notice any changes to my hair, probably because I was inconsistent but I'm wondering if I should give it another chance or try something else. 

Comments

• BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I do suggest scalp massages, but I see little benefit of hair growth with oil. It's good for your hair but I doubt it will make your hair grow faster. That really depends on genetics, but the massages could potentially ensure your follicles do not get clogged which could lead to the hair falling out or stunting growth.
  • RoanlivingRoanliving Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @BrittanyM any tips for scalp massages? How often and how long? Any techniques that make it easier? My arms get tired easily Haha 
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso

So the idea that trimming your hair will help your hair grow faster is kind of a myth.  By trimming unhealthy split ends, hair will have less breakage and flyaways, making it look healthier. This can make hair appear to grow faster because the hair will break less and, thus, grow longer in a shorter amount of time. 

Being kind to your scalp can help, though this won’t promote hair growth outright.  Scalp massages can help because with more blood flowing through the scalp, the follicles receive more nutrients and oxygen, which promotes the (faster) growth of (healthy) hair. 

What influences hair growth is genetics (like @BrittanyM stated) and the health of the hair follicle. Hair follicles need nutrients to grow strong, healthy hair strands. And unfortunately, when the body doesn’t get enough nutrients, non-essential parts like hair and nails are the first parts of the body to be affected. So changing up your actual diet is going help hair growth far more than trimming or scalp massages. 

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Posts: 1,217Registered Users Curl Virtuoso
    I don't really massage my scalp often. Just use your finger tips. There are also aryuvedic (is that the word?) where you press at certain points. There is a YouTube video.
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    If I'm growing out my hair, I'll only get it trimmed every 6 months or so.  Not growing it out, I get a trim every 4 months.  If I went every 2 months I'd never see any growth! 

I don't do scalp massages.  My hair doesn't like oil at all, and my scalp seems to be pretty healthy.  Like the others said, massages can help increase blood flow up to the follicles, which might help hair grow faster.  But a good diet is probably your best bet for fastest growth. 
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • LuthfaLuthfa Posts: 10Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    edited January 27
    So ive got really bad bleached hair and its been three months since ive started regular deep conditioning and hot oil treatments. two months since my last trim and still there's a lot of damage left. its not long juss shoulder length. i want to get a hair cut so bad but literally everyone is telling me to let it grow out and then go for hair cut. my ends are so damaged its flat most times. it was getting better with regular oil and stuff but then i started diffusing with low heat and i am back to square 1. Im really confused if i should cut my hair short or let it grow out and then go for a cut. if i cut, its gonna take forever to grow it back. but if i dont cut, ill have to wait forever to heal. :( some advice ?
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,980Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    @Luthfa, if your ends are split, it's probably best to get those cut off.  Those splits can travel up the hair shaft if left for too long, which means you'd have to cut even more off.  If they're not split, you can ask for a "dusting", which just takes off a tiny bit of the ends all over, which might be enough to revive your hair a bit without losing much length. 

When I'm growing out my hair, I like to start with a decent cut.  It sets back the progress a bit, but it makes the grow-out period a lot easier.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • RoanlivingRoanliving Posts: 23Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Novice
    @Luthfa I definitely agree with the above comment 
    In the long run, a good cut will save your hair. If you are taking good care of your hair now, you may see more length, especially after cutting off the bad ends. 
    @Guide 65 @Roanliving You guys are so right. 

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Posts: 543Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Virtuoso
    @Luthfa ; - I went through the exact same dilemma as you when I started embracing my curly hair.    When ends are damaged like that, it will probably take you just as long to repair it than it will be for your hair to grow back out.  Cutting off the damaged ends and starting fresh was the best thing I could have done.  My hair immediately went from being 2b/2c to 2c/3a.  It was amazing how just getting those bad ends off helped. 
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • MissMilaMissMila Posts: 45Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I started the cgm 1.5 years ago. I had brastrap length, but the bottom half was so broken it felt like straw, was straight and i had split ends. I tried cgm for about 6months to recover, but in that time my hair didnt grow at all (it kept breaking off) and it also didnt get curlier, only at the top. 
    I decided to cut the damaged hair off and my hair was ear length afterwards. It was a big change, but my hair looked so much better and healthier instantly.

This was 1 year ago exactly and my hair is now brastrap length when straight and shoulder length when curly. Its soft and shiny all the way to the ends and even though i havent cut it at all since then i barely have any split ends.
    This reminds me that its probably time to cut it a little bit soon to clean up the ends :)
    I did cutt off about a inch a week ago and it was good the 1st day but i really cant tell the difference. its good one day and not the next. its confusing, annoying and time consuming. im juss afraid that if i cut it all out i might end up looking like a flower pot. and here in my country (Maldives) we dont have many curly hair experts. so most times i juss end up cutting my own hair. and because of the regular deep conditioning and hot oil treatments the hair thats growing looks really good but the ends have juss given up. its a long journey and i feel like its juss the beginning.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file