Just saying hi!

kittchen11kittchen11 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 8 Curl Neophyte
Just wanted to introduce myself since I've literally been stalking these forums for the past 24 hours. 

I've known for a while that my hair wasn't *completely* straight, but for some reason continued to feel the need to brush the heck out of it. This wasn't necessarily bad in the summer, but in the winter my hair just ends up looking frizzy and gross. So, last night, I did my first ever co-wash, detangled in the shower, and plopped my hair. I don't have leave in conditioner or gel yet, but my hair is soooo much wavier than I thought it would be!

Obviously this is day 1, so it basically looks like crap, but it sort of gives me hope for where I can go with this method. Question for all you experienced thin haired light wavies out there: how do you get rid of the vaguely wet look  your hair gets with product in it? Use less? I didn't wash all of the conditioner out of my hair, which I've seen recommended all over the place on here, but it just makes my hair look greasy. 

Comments

• tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    Hello and welcome!  Glad to have you part of our curly pack! :) 

What conditioner are you using?  Also did you do a "final wash" with a sulfate shampoo before you co-washed?

Instead of leaving some of your conditioner, try putting some in after you rinsed it out.  I would suggest starting with a dime size.    I personally can't always tell how much I've rinsed out.  Adding conditioner after gives me more control to tell how much my hair can handle as I am also a frequent victim of greasy looking hair.

2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Low-Poo:  Jessicurl Hair Cleansing Cream
    Sulfate Wash: Aveda Rosemary Mint Purifying Shampoo
    Rinse Out Conditioner: DevalCurl One Condition
    Leave-In Conditioner: Curl Junkie Smoothing Lotion
    Deep Conditioner: DevaCurl Heaven In Hair
    Curl Enhancer: Curl Junkie Spiral Lotion
    Gel: Jessicurl Spiralicious Gel
  • kittchen11kittchen11 Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 8 Curl Neophyte
    It's Loreal Elvive Volume Filler. I'm going out to buy some new stuff today, so this is just the conditioner I had been using, aka so many sulfates. Maybe that's why I'm not thrilled with the results? I did not wash with shampoo at all. Last time I did that was probably Monday. Is that something I should do? Or should I go straight for a sulfate-free cleanser? 
  • BrittanyMBrittanyM Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Curl Virtuoso
    Use less product or suspect build up for me. If it’s a wet look and the hair is hard, I can gently scrunch out the crunch. I’m unfamiliar with those products, but if they have silicones, it could be build up that did it or leaving too much in.
  • tinksaysbootinksaysboo Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Posts: 543 Curl Virtuoso
    edited January 2019
    I just googled the conditioner, it has silicones which won't work for co-washing.

Silicones form a coating around your hair strands that can only be removed by sulfates.  You want to avoid using sulfates because they are really harsh on your hair.   When using products with silicones, without a sulfate shampoo, you will get build up which will make your hair look limp and dirty along with preventing products from penetrating the roots.  that means over time, your hair stops absorbing moisture. 

When starting co-wash you should:

1. Do a "Final Wash".  This is a wash with a harsh sulfate.  Suave Daily Clean is a popular one in the curly girl community as it's easy to find and like $1.
    2. Stop using any products that contain ingredients that end in -cone and -xane
    2c/3a | low porosity | fine/medium | low/medium density| protein,coconut, and green tea sensitive | Modified CGM

Thanks, guys! Obviously this is a work in progress but day 3 and it looks better already! I have some pieces that don't want to curl at all, but I suspect they'll get the hang of it. I got a cleansing conditioner for co-wash, a leave-in (that has a silicone in it, which I didn't realize until I brought it home, but I researched it and it's one that's CG friendly so I'll probably keep using it until it's gone unless I notice buildup), and a spray gel because my hair is so fine that it gets weighed down easily. I'm happy with these results for day 3! I'm glad I don't have anywhere to go in the next few weeks where my hair needs to look really nice- I can just throw it up in a clip or something. Giving up brushing and regular elastic hairbands is going to be a challenge, but I want to give my hair a chance to really figure out its curl pattern! 
    What is the silicone? 

Amodimethicone. I guess it's not water soluble, but it doesn't deposit on top of itself and cause buildup so lots of people end up being fine with it. 
  • Guide 65Guide 65 Registered Users, Moderators Posts: 1,984 Curl Virtuoso
    Your hair is looking good!  Build up is sneaky - you won't feel it, but your hair will just starting looking not as good.  When you notice you start having bad hair days, remember to clarify.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
    Thanks, @Guide 65! It keeps looking better every day. I've still got weird pieces that want to be straight (and weird curls that randomly reverse direction halfway down the strand...) but I feel like progress is being made! Last time I used a sulfate shampoo was Thursday. Just been co-washing since then and it still looks good so far! But I'm keeping my old shampoo around to clarify until its gone, then investing in a good low-poo. 

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file