How to refresh high porosity fine hair?

emynmuil3emynmuil3 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
Any other curlies/wavies cursed with high porosity fine hair? I've read a lot of "second day curl refresh" tutorials, but when I try to spray my hair with water and scrunch it, it all just sticks to my hands and ends up in a pile of frizz. 
If anyone has some tried-and-true methods they've had more success with, please share. I can't get second day curls for the life of me. 
2b/2c | high porosity | fine/medium | medium density | every type of frizz imaginable 

coconut oil makes my hair fall out.

Answers

• Guide 65Guide 65 Posts: 1,795Registered Users, Moderators Curl Virtuoso
    Welcome to CurlTalk!

I don't have high porosity hair, but I do have the same problems with spraying and scrunching to refresh. What I do instead is to use my wet hands to dampen my hair.  I just gently stroke down my hair, like I'm petting a cat.  Sometimes I'll use praying hands, or rope scrunch, but no upward scrunching because that just makes my hair stringy.  If I add product (conditioner or gel or both), I'll emulsify the product with wet hands (getting that water in there is important for me!) then stroke my hair again.  To reactivate the curls, I'll gently tap the bottom of my hair in an upward motion - sort of like scrunching, but with open hands and very gently, and maybe shake my head gently.  I like to use clips to increase the volume at the top and get some waves going up near the roots.
    Formerly known as Janiegirl
    2B/2C, fine hair, low density, mixed porosity, protein loving hair
    Current products:
    Changing up my shampoos because I can't find one I like
    Deva Curl One Condition (original formula)
    Innersense I Create Volume
    Deva Curl Ultra Defining Gel
  • cnic216cnic216 Posts: 154Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Connoisseur
    I have fine, high porosity hair. Recently what's been working for me is to make my own refresher spray with a little bit of rinse out conditioner (can be a cheap one like Suave), a little bit of oil (I use sweet almond oil), and water. I mist that on my hair in the morning just in the areas that look frizzy or have misshapen curls. If I need a little more product, I'll use praying hands to apply it. Scrunching doesn't really work for me and just creates frizz. 
  • emynmuil3emynmuil3 Posts: 2Registered Users, Curl Ambassador Curl Neophyte
    Thanks for responding. I'll give those suggestions a try. 
    2b/2c | high porosity | fine/medium | medium density | every type of frizz imaginable 

coconut oil makes my hair fall out.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file